Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

roofing questions

Lifer

roofing questions

One of my rentals is leaking water pretty so it will need a new roof. Its a fairly small 500sg/ft house with an equally small roof and low to the ground but several additions have made it multi-faceted so its a bit more complex than normal. I have never had to have a roof done but i am thinking i should do everything including the base and start from scratch so i have a good solid base for years. Now does it pay to go with the long life shingles or are lesser ones ok? Should i expect a huge price difference from say just laying new shingles to having everything redone? I would think most of the labor costs come from removing and replacing the shingles with replacing the underlayment fairly straightforward or am i totally wrong?

Does anyone have a rough guess as to what i should be paying per square foot so i know how to gauge the estimates? Is there any specific questions i should be asking the contractors that would be a good indication of there ability? This is in Mass if it matters which i think it does.

0 Not allowed!

Re: roofing questions

Ice and water as much as you can, especially those valleys and edges. Get a price for both traditional and architectural shingles. The arch shingles are usually more money but the labor is less. Make sure they use galvy drip edge, the aluminum stuff doesn't hold up well over time in my experience. Be ready to replace some roof panels if its been leaking because its been leaking much longer before it started to show.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

You may have no choice about either stripping or adding a new layer of shingles. It depends on how many layers are already on there. Code in most instances is two layers max but it varies from town and state. I have seen three and four and it's a bitch to remove. I would replace and redo if you have more then one. Plus like Falko said it's been leaking awhile before you noticed and I would like to see how much. More work and labor but your not covering up a problem that you might have to redo at some point again. 25, 30 year shingles are well worth it.

0 Not allowed!

Cost is dependent on more factors then work involved. The area you live in and just getting a contractor to commit within a reasonable amount of time is sometimes the hardest part.

0 Not allowed!

We went with a metal roof in NH. More expensive but super durable. Not sure if that works for complex contours.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Talking Re: roofing questions

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Cost is dependent on more factors then work involved. The area you live in and just getting a contractor to commit within a reasonable amount of time is sometimes the hardest part.
    that's what I went thru last summer, all the "roofers" I talked to, were booked 4 and 5 months out, I lucked out, a builder who is a regular client of mine took it on as a weekend project (took him and his son 2 weekends) not only started almost immediately, he also gave me a smokin good price, $3500 to strip, cover with water & ice shield and lay 13 squares of architectural shingles (1260 s ft) install new ridge vent, made some minor repairs to my brick chimney, and replaced the facia boards

I was under the gun to get it replaced, it wasn't leaking, but was 36 years old with 25 year shingles, been dropped by 2 insurance companies and was insured with Lloyds with an exclusion on the roof for an outrageous premium

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 03-07-19 at 05:57 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

A guy I work with does roofing on the side. I can send his contact info once I check with him. They're in CT but not that far from you. They would most likely be in and out in a day. It's a family owned business they've had for a long time.

0 Not allowed!

How does one roofer say hi to another?

“Whenjda get out?”

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Man I payed a lot more than $3,500

My roof was leaking in an owner occupied unit that was being renovated into a rental. Tried to re-shingle it on a weekend but started raining. Tarped it. City came the next business day and asked for permits. Got one, had to add a ton more rafters because the old spacing (and thickness) was not enough. New gable. New reflective panels. New shingles. Passed inspection but I spent a lot. Talked to some house flippers and they said what I did generally does not come with a ROI. IMHO if it’s a rental you want it safe but you don’t want to blow money. Find the cheapest guy that can make it safe for as long as possible.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-08-19 at 10:23 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I'm going to have a metal roof installed right on top of the original shingles on a house I just bought. 1500 sq ft house. about 10k for the new roof.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    A guy I work with does roofing on the side. I can send his contact info once I check with him. They're in CT but not that far from you. They would most likely be in and out in a day. It's a family owned business they've had for a long time.
    That would be great, thanks.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I like the idea of a metal roof but the multiple contours of my roof may be an issue. It's something to look into. I've also considered bumping up the roof to make it more uniform and add a little space to the inside of the house but that's probably overkill. As it is a rental I am hesitant to dump a lot of money into it but at the same time that little tiny nothing of a house generates the most positive cashflow of all my other properties. It deserves a little bonus I think. For a roof size so small I may just splurge a little.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Man I payed a lot more than $3,500
    ya, I know I got a smokin good deal, all the roofing contractors that couldn't get to it for several months quoted nearly double. The guy the did it, said it was one of the easiest roofing jobs he'd ever done (very low roof height) the plywood under what he stripped was in perfect condition, and better quality than new plywood, he didn't buy much for materials, most was leftover from houses he built.

and the best part, I did over $10k worth of survey work for him last year, I'm slowing down in my retirement, but expect to do that much for him again this year, not even building season, and I've already got a good start

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 03-08-19 at 12:44 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject