Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Round 2, almost ready for wood

Round 2, almost ready for wood

Well it's not quite on the same scale as building a house, but it's still going to take a lot of work to get this done.
    Broke ground for my new shed a couple days ago. It's in a odd location but I need it in this spot for a few reasons. There's about a 24" grade difference from one side of the future building to the other so my plan was to dig out the area and make a level spot for the building, and make some stone retaining walls to hold the soil back. I also want a wood floor and don't want a ramp up to the door. The last shed I built with a cement floor was a moisture nightmare.

This is what I plan on building, a 12x12 storage shed with 8x12 lean-2s on both sides. The lean-2s will have 3 sides exposed to the weather, basically just a roof to keep the rain water off whatever I store under them...firewood on one side and "maybe" a small tractor on the other.
    The light color lines on the roof are an idea I had for dormers, they may or may not be built yet!!

And this is the site location!! It's a reasonable distance from the house...keeping the firewood transport in mind, and it's easy access to my driveway.

You may notice i did hit a small rock and had to alter my plans a bit..

The area has been scraped of topsoild and I obviously started the stone retaining walls on the right side and back side. My next step is to get the floor framed and in location, then I can complete the stone wall work

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Re: Round 2, almost ready for wood

Nice man nice. If you are still working on it when the weather is nice maybe I will shoot down and give you a hand on the bike. I got a few carp skills as I built houses back in college and have helped a few people remodel as well. Good luck

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

is that a 110 I see?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    is that a 110 I see?
    Yes it is...and I wish it was mine. Very powerful machine for it's size. That's a 2004 with 200 hours on it, thumb, and plummed for all avalable attatchments

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Where the hell is all your snow?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Yes it is...and I wish it was mine. Very powerful machine for it's size. That's a 2004 with 200 hours on it, thumb, and plummed for all avalable attatchments
    I rented one for a weekend. there are others that have the same 40hp engine, but not with 39hp hydraulic pump. powerful enuf to run a hydraulic snowblower attachment up front instead of the backup while you clear snow mounted on rear pto snowblower, built to accept any standard skid steer attachments,

perfect for my needs, small enuf to transport with a 3/4ton pickup & landscape trailer, though I'd probably try to find a 1ton with small dump or a flatbed/ramp and no need for a trailer

$43k+options & attachments =$50k + truck & trailer & insurance

my delema isn't that I couldn't get away with a farm grade loader/backhoe for use around my house at half the price, to justify the expense I would have to use it to do my own test pitting when I when I do a septic design.
    I haven't operated many tractors, but I've observed almost anything out there, farm tractor would not cut it for my use

If somebody threw me an extra $100k I'd get the deere 110 and everything I need to transport before I would add a bike to my stable

yes, that is what I want

RandyO
    IBA#9560

dude, your a glutton for punishment.. didnt you just finish the house like 20 minutes ago? your fuckin crazy!

Good luck..

Current Toys:

2005 Nissan Titan CC

I hate to even mention this because I like having the 110 around the house, the owner buys and sells used equipment and it is for sale. He also has another one, same year with 800 hours on it, no thumb but it is plumbed for all the attatchments. The savings used vs new will pay for a pretty new/low mileage 1 ton...and it isn't a sales pitch by any meens, but this one looks like it came off the showroom floor IMO. If you want me to ask more detail, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I rented one for a weekend. there are others that have the same 40hp engine, but not with 39hp hydraulic pump. powerful enuf to run a hydraulic snowblower attachment up front instead of the backup while you clear snow mounted on rear pto snowblower, built to accept any standard skid steer attachments,

perfect for my needs, small enuf to transport with a 3/4ton pickup & landscape trailer, though I'd probably try to find a 1ton with small dump or a flatbed/ramp and no need for a trailer

$43k+options & attachments =$50k + truck & trailer & insurance

my delema isn't that I couldn't get away with a farm grade loader/backhoe for use around my house at half the price, to justify the expense I would have to use it to do my own test pitting when I when I do a septic design.
    I haven't operated many tractors, but I've observed almost anything out there, farm tractor would not cut it for my use

If somebody threw me an extra $100k I'd get the deere 110 and everything I need to transport before I would add a bike to my stable

yes, that is what I want

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Where the hell is all your snow?
    It's in the woods, can't you see it in the background?
    We got about 4" today...which has mostly already melted

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I hate to even mention this because I like having the 110 around the house, the owner buys and sells used equipment and it is for sale. He also has another one, same year with 800 hours on it, no thumb but it is plumbed for all the attatchments. The savings used vs new will pay for a pretty new/low mileage 1 ton...and it isn't a sales pitch by any meens, but this one looks like it came off the showroom floor IMO. If you want me to ask more detail, send me a PM

the guy I rented from last year sold one of his 110s this past fall the one I rented was brandy new when I used it, I was first rental after he picked it up didn't even have a full hour on the clock,
    I could have bought the old one at a reasonable price, it had about 2000 hours, looked to be in excellent shape but, something about 2000 and I don't know how many different operators

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I want you to come build me a woodshed (stanchion only, no 'real' walls) and a roof extension on the back of my garage. Of course, we'll hafta wait 'til August for all this fookin' snow to melt!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

You'll have to wait longer than August if I go by the order in which people have asked me to build something for them

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I want you to come build me a woodshed (stanchion only, no 'real' walls) and a roof extension on the back of my garage. Of course, we'll hafta wait 'til August for all this fookin' snow to melt!

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

You'll have to wait longer than August if I go by the order in which people have asked me to build something for them

HA! I bet!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Show off

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

No pictures for the picture readers but some progress was made this weekend. All the lumber was delivered Saturday morning..but because of the rain I couldn't do any work.
    The plan for Sunday was to just get all the footings in place, level and square. It'll never settle because all 9 of the footings are sitting directly on ledge. It was a chore in itself because of all the rain yesterday, thick mud and very heavy shovel fulls of dirt took more energy than I wanted to give today. I even managed to get the 3 support beams in place so I'm ready to start framing the floor tomorrow after work. This "should" be a quick build and I'm hoping to be done in 2 weeks. I'll update with pictures at the end of the day tomorrow

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Progress is kinda slow as I had a lot of other things going on this week and was only able to work a couple hours after work one day. Tomorrow i should be able to start framing the walls.

Yesterday I framed the floor system. I used all pressure treated because it will be close to the ground and is in a shaded area...for now. I basically framed a box using 4x6 beams, which are on the footings. Then I framed the floor system on top of the beams, then 3/4" advantech T&G subflooring to make for a solid floor. It's pretty solid, not to mention I overkilled it with 9 footings...and all 9 of them are directly on the ledge

Just a couple pictures for now, even had to do some notching around the ledge..

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Progress is still a bit slow and I still don't have much time invested in it. All 4 of the walls are up, the T1-11 is on the 3 sides I'm painting and the OSB board is on the side that I'm siding to match the house. I spent Sunday afternoon framing up the loft floor (2nd floor if you want to call it that) and all I need to do is put the plywood decking down and I'm ready to frame the roof. I also decided that I will need the extra storage space and will be framing a full shed dormer on each side like drawn (the thin lines) in the first picture. Yeah it's gonna be a pain the balls to frame and take more time than I want...but better now than later
    Thinking about using a sick day tomorrow to get cought up on this stuff.... I can get both gables framed and up, maybe even some of the roof framed. I'll update the pictures tomorrow

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Man....you're slacking. I thought you would be done by now?

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Talking Re: Round 2, almost ready for wood

Mark here is a garage I just designed and built for my company. We did three of them at 3 locations. Different footing layout's per site. Some had storage units along the side's and back.

Your place looks great and your shed is kick ass I hope you use sonotube's at the over hangs. Unless there is that ledge you got going on there

Bikeless

Did you pin into the ledge at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Mark here is a garage I just designed and built for my company. We did three of them at 3 locations. Different footing layout's per site. Some had storage units along the side's and back.

Your place looks great and your shed is kick ass I hope you use sonotube's at the over hangs. Unless there is that ledge you got going on there
    Carefull with the man on the Lull, round here that's a $15k fine
    I'm hoping for a garage next spring and I'll probably give you a ring again for some plans...not sure I can hand in a scetch to the town hall like I did for this shed if I build a garage..haha

The right side obviously is on ledge so I plan on using 5/8" wedge bolts to fasten the post bases to the ledge. The left side the ledge is only 10-12" below the surface, I'm thinking I may just post base directly to the ledge again, and just use crushed stone to burry around the pressure treated post rather than dirt?

Bostonsv, I did not pin into the ledge at all for the main building. I dug down to the ledge at all 9 footing points, put a thin layer of crushed stone on the ledge to make a level base, then used solid concrete blocks to make the footings. The lean-2 sections on each side will be fastend to the ledge.

And for an update on what's been done today...
    I did take the day off from work, I had some errands to run in the morning so I didn't start working on it until almost lunch time.
    I was undecided on how I was going to build the gables so I waisted a good hour thinking about that...and once I decided, I just couldn't get in a system to work at a good pace. It took me 5 hours to frame and stand 1 gable Granted it was a ton of work..and these trim details that I like always seem to take way more time than I figure for.
    Tomorrow looks like a wash so I'm hoping to frame the other Thursday after work.
    Here's a couple pictures, looks a little funky now but once I add the 7' overhangs on each side, it should look pretty nice.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Man, I just haven't been able to get in a full day on this project yet!! A couple hours each day after work, a few hours Saturday afternoon...and today was a wash.

It was getting dark when I took the pictures today but you get the idea. I framed the other gable wall, both dormer walls, framed the roof, and put the sheathing down. Tomorrow I need to start the right side lean-2 roof...which shouldn't take to long.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

What are the big dormers for?

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    What are the big dormers for?
    so you don't hit your head on the rafters when you are putting stuff in the loft.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

I put the dormers on for 3 reasons, 1st is what Sean said...it's a pain in the balls banging your head on the rafters when you have to get something in the loft, 2nd you can never have enough storage space..and those dormers double the storage space in the loft...which will be great for storing seasonal tools and yard furniture. 3rd and final reason, it's the look I was looking for

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast