Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Round 2, almost ready for wood

Re: Round 2, almost ready for wood

Excellent work! I'm looking forward to some interior pics.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

I'm calling you MoneyMark from now on

Bras cause cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecooke21 View Post
    good seeing you also.. I am definitley going to steal my buddies quad to fart around up there.. I cant wait.. I suffer from the same disease as you "newbike-itis"... I may just have a new quad of my own soon..
    You should buy my Raptor, you can even store it at my house so you don't have to look at it sit around

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    Excellent work! I'm looking forward to some interior pics.
    Thanks for the compliments. I'm not going to finish the inside, just a few shelves and hooks to hang tools and whatnot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
    I'm calling you MoneyMark from now on
    I had a good year for a tax return with building the house...trust me, I'm maxxed out and don't have much to play with

And for an update...
    It's been a pretty good week, unfortunatly no pictures again I've been working on it until dark so I haven't had a chance to snap any pictures.

Lets see, right side dormer is all sided and trimmed. The siding on the front has been completed, still some trimwork to be done though.
    Yesterday I installed the 4x4 posts to support the roof on the right side. Drilled them directly into the ledge and fasted them down with a 5/8" x 6" wedge bolt.
    Today I put the 3 footings in on the left side and also installed the 4x4 support poles. It was a lot of work the way I did it but didn't feel like spending the time and money mixxing cement and waiting for it to dry. All I did was dig a big hole (down to the ledge) and roled in the biggest rock I had close by. I backfilled around each rock and again fastened to post plate to the top of the rock with a 5/8x6 wedge bolt.
    I also spent an hour or so grading the topsoil on the left side.

I'm hoping tomorrow I can get most of the left side dormer trimmed and sided. Once I get the front and both sides complete, I may do the landscaping around it before completing the backside. I still need to make the ramp and make some grade adjustments.
    I'll try and get some updated pictures tomorrow

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Finally took some pictures today. A sunny 70+ day and all I did was look at the bike every hour or so...pretty sad

As of 7pm this evening, this is what's done...

My rock footings? Pretty cool, eh..haha

Right side bolted to the ledge..

Inside for those that asked, obviously construction left overs still packed everywhere...with a peice of awesomeness in the middle

And the loft...I can actually stand up in the center..

Today i spent most of the day digging rocks and roots out from the roadway I have to make to my driveway. Finally getting the hang of opperating the 110, almost impressed myself

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Lifer

that ain't no shed... it's a hotel for your toys and tools

looks excellent. I don't think I'd have the patience to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by nilez View Post
    that ain't no shed... it's a hotel for your toys and tools

looks excellent. I don't think I'd have the patience to finish it.
    Most of the toys are Yamaha's, they deserve a hotel
    Thanks for the compliments

No work on the shed itself this weekend but I got a crapload of work done grading and landscaping around it. I cut the grade down in front of the shed to give me somewhat of a flat area when I pull the bike out. I'm going with a thin layer of crushed stone for now to keep the dust and dirt down. All the little stone retaining walls are now done, and I even de-rocked the entire driveway/access from my house driveway to the shed...it's just over 110'.
    This week I'm going to try and focus on the shed again

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Lifer

given any thought to where you're going to park the bike and put it on the kickstand so you can close the shed doors? You said it's about 110 feet from the shed to the driveway, that's 770 total feet you have to walk each time you ride. I wouldn't suggest trusting the stone walkway you said you're laying down from the driveway to the shed, the kickstand might fall through... The only reason I bring it up is because I have a similar situation from my driveway to the shed. It's not a huge deal really, but it does get a bit annoying when you come home from a long ride and it's dark out and you just want to park the bike and hit the sofa...

Picture this:

Departure in the morning: walk from house to shed (110'), walk bike to driveway and start it up (110'), walk back to shed to close doors (110'), walk back to bike to go for ride (110').

Arrival at night after long ride: pull into driveway and put bike in neutral then walk to shed to open doors (110'), walk back to bike (110'), ride bike into shed and lock up, walk back to house (110')

Maybe you can put some kind of big flat rock in the stone walkway to put the kickstand on just a suggestion.

EDIT: and kudos to the Yamaha toys deserving a hotel

He could just leave a piece of PT plywood about 3inches square or a crushed beer can right on the stone outside the shed so that the kick stand doesn't sink into the rocks while opening and closing the shed not even 10' away.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

OR he could carry a plate for his kickstand like most people. Just plant a good size flat rock near the door.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Or better yet, I could just leave a bunch of crushed beer cans on the ground

The flat rock buried is a great idea In fact I plant a few of them so I don't always have to park in the same spot

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

The flat rock buried is a great idea In fact I plant a few of them so I don't always have to park in the same spot[/QUOTE]

Thats how rock gardens get started.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    The flat rock buried is a great idea In fact I plant a few of them so I don't always have to park in the same spot

Thats how rock gardens get started.[/QUOTE]

I've already got a 13.3 acre rock garden, maybe I'll have to rethink this idea

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

It was a great weekend for me and I'm now starting to see the light at the completion of this project

I got my ass in gear Saturday morning and starting the work on all the soffit and trim work...which is what takes most of the time.
    I also precut and painted the T1-11 for the backside of the dormers.
    Also managed to get all of the siding done.

All that's left to do on the front and boths sides is painting. It need 2 coats of white trim paint, and the T1-11 needs another coat of red. I also still need to finish the crushed stone near the entrance.

The back side is where theres still quite a bit of work left..though I think I can get it all done in one good day. I have to finish the roof flashing, then install the T1-11 on the dormers, complete the trimwork and prep it for paint.
    Collecting, splitting and stacking firewood is priority once this is done

I even spent a couple hours around the yard today, mowed the lawn and weed wacked the edges.

And sitting on my front steps having a beer, I get a visitor. Cute dog, though a bit hiper.. I "think" it's one of the neighbors 2 houses down

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

you grass is green !

one of the things I had to do with the 110 I rented this weekend is move a snowbank

but I did get evewrythng done that I wanted, my barn flood is level, compacted,septic system is in, piping in and ready to pour the floor

I plan on moving my office in in 2 weeks

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    you grass is green !

one of the things I had to do with the 110 I rented this weekend is move a snowbank

but I did get evewrythng done that I wanted, my barn flood is level, compacted,septic system is in, piping in and ready to pour the floor

I plan on moving my office in in 2 weeks
    I'm amazed at how green the grass is...the soil until todays rain was bone dry and mowing it was a dust storm. We hadn't seen a drop of rain in over 3 weeks until yesterdays sprinkles. Before the mini drought 3 1/2 weeks ago, I bought a low grade fertilizer at home depot that said "Greens in 48 hours"...well that shit worked!!!

Are you going to buy a 110? I'm going to buy something soon, I just don't know what yet. I've been pricing new John Deere's, the one I want is a 24hp compact 4x4 tractor, loader and backhoe. I'm having a hard time with a decision, trying to justify spending that much on a new machine ($20k) or saving 4-5k on a used one that's 4-5 years old. If I could get a 110 in my price range, I'd buy one...though it is kinda big for what I want it for.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I can't wait to see what you do after this one, as usual it's looking amazing. It's fun to watch it progress. What do you want the 110 for to make trails?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossy83 View Post
    I can't wait to see what you do after this one, as usual it's looking amazing. It's fun to watch it progress. What do you want the 110 for to make trails?
    Thanks for the compliments

Landscaping is my next project

The 110 would be used mostly for gathering firewood and some landscaping plans I have. I need to get at least 4 cord of wood out of the woods per season, it just makes it easy. I also have a lot of stonewalls and stonework in general that i want to do around the yard. Like I said though, the 110 is kinda big for what I need, but for the right price, I'd buy one. A compact with a small backhoe will do what i need and is more realistic for me.
    I haven't priced Kubota's yet but I may...

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Or you could forget the 110 and the firewood and spend the winter in a nice new hot tub. I really like the rock walls though I hadn't really seen such a thing till I ended up here in the NE area.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post

Are you going to buy a 110? I'm going to buy something soon

I wish, a real industrial grade tractor, yet still small enuf to transport with a 3/4ton truck & landscape trailer

the only way I can justify the expense of a tractor is to get one capable of lots of test pits. a smaller tractor wouldn't cut it for me, nor would a similar sized asian farm tractor at half the price, they have the same yanmar 40hp diesel, but only a tiny hydraulic pump comared to the 39hp pump on the 110.

at home , I only got 2 acres, but the rocks & trees are big, even the 110 really really isn't big enuf for some of the things I have to move

last year, I did price out a new 110 with the options I wanted, thumb for the backhoe, and a snowblower for the front, came to $56k

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Rossy83 View Post
    Or you could forget the 110 and the firewood and spend the winter in a nice new hot tub. I really like the rock walls though I hadn't really seen such a thing till I ended up here in the NE area.
    At 4 buck a gallon for oil, I have no choice with the firewood. Oddly enough, I've used my oil heat more in the past week than I did all winter

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I wish, a real industrial grade tractor, yet still small enuf to transport with a 3/4ton truck & landscape trailer

the only way I can justify the expense of a tractor is to get one capable of lots of test pits. a smaller tractor wouldn't cut it for me, nor would a similar sized asian farm tractor at half the price, they have the same yanmar 40hp diesel, but only a tiny hydraulic pump comared to the 39hp pump on the 110.

at home , I only got 2 acres, but the rocks & trees are big, even the 110 really really isn't big enuf for some of the things I have to move

last year, I did price out a new 110 with the options I wanted, thumb for the backhoe, and a snowblower for the front, came to $56k
    The owner of the 110 at my house moves it around with a Silverado 2500HD, though you are at the max tow capacity

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Mark,

What did you use for flooring? I know what you used for the 3/4 stuff, but what about the framing on top of the 4x4's?

Were they 2x6" or 2x4"? What did you do for spacing?

I'll be starting on my shed in a couple weeks and will be using yours as a oversized version of what I'd like to end up with. No dormers though, this will be my first real carpentry project other than repairing the decks that came barely hanging onto the house.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Mark,

What did you use for flooring? I know what you used for the 3/4 stuff, but what about the framing on top of the 4x4's?

Were they 2x6" or 2x4"? What did you do for spacing?

I'll be starting on my shed in a couple weeks and will be using yours as a oversized version of what I'd like to end up with. No dormers though, this will be my first real carpentry project other than repairing the decks that came barely hanging onto the house.
    The floor is framed with PT 2x6 @ 16"oc. Those are sitting on 3 4x6 PT beams @ 6'oc. There's no bounce at all in the first floor! The loft I also framed with 2x6 @ 16"oc, no beam in the center though and there is quite a bit of bounce in it with the 12' span.
    Even if you went with a 10x10, I'd still use 2x6 framing with a center support

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I was going to use 2x6 for framing.

What did you use for a ridge pole if anything?

I was figuring 12x16 would be the perfect way to use complete sheets of 4x8 plywood. (I may be wrong)

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I was going to use 2x6 for framing.

What did you use for a ridge pole if anything?

I was figuring 12x16 would be the perfect way to use complete sheets of 4x8 plywood. (I may be wrong)

I used a 2x8 ridge with 2x4 rafters. The only reason I went with the 2x8 was so I could leave out the collar ties because of the dormers.
    12x16 will work for the plywood, though you still have to cut some sheets in half to stagger the seams..no waist. Any incrament of 2' will keep the waist down though

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast