Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Safest form of payment?

Safest form of payment?

Once the weather breaks I'm going to be selling a small travel trailer. I figure it'll go on Craigslist and maybe Facebook Marketplace. What is the safest form of payment to take from a potential buyer? Cash I believe is safest but I'm figuring the sale price will be around $10k, not exactly an amount everyone has kicking around. And now it sounds like there's a lot of fake bank checks going around so that no longer sounds safe.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Re: Safest form of payment?

Cash. Meet at a local PD parking lot for the transaction.

If they don't have it kickin around, how are they supposed to pay for it?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Any legitimate buyer should be willing to meet you at their bank. Have them withdraw funds in front of you and have it turned into a cashier's check made out to you. That's about the safest way I can think of for a local transaction.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Yeah, meet at a bank.

0 Not allowed!

Cash. Cash. Cash.

I always ask for cash. Last big sale I was pressured into accepting a bank check. After the sale I was threatened with them cancelling/recalling the check, which some research says it is possible, some say it isn't, but I will never accept anything but cash again.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Cash. Meet at a local PD parking lot for the transaction.

If they don't have it kickin around, how are they supposed to pay for it?
    True. Years back I sold a truck to a young kid that got a loan from a bank and they gave him a check to give me. I guess that's more along the lines of what I meant. I never had trouble with that sale but that was also 6 years ago.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Cash is best

Second best is a cashiers check and if you really want, upon receiving it you can call the bank to verify at the time of transaction/receiving it.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Cash. Cash. Cash.

I always ask for cash. Last big sale I was pressured into accepting a bank check. After the sale I was threatened with them cancelling/recalling the check, which some research says it is possible, some say it isn't, but I will never accept anything but cash again.
    While thats true, if you're selling something for like $30,000 and you're expecting cash it's going to be an uphill battle.

You would also have to meet at a police station because a stranger giving you $30K cash can just demand it back from you right after. You don't know his real name, you don't ask for the ID, easiest robbery if somebody wants to. Once you hand keys/title over he's a stranger that can rob you right then and there. At least cashiers check can be verified on the spot and has the persons real identity on it.

0 Not allowed!

Hypertarded

This is the only form of payment I accept for "problem resolutions" or any other "contract" jobs:

Safest form of payment?-krugerrand-jpg

1 Not allowed!

How are you verifying a cashier's check on the spot?

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

IF the person is getting a load on the item, the bank gives him a cashier's check for the amount made out to him and you. He signs it and turns it over to you. You can either accept the check and hope for the best or meet him at his bank to cash it out. No bank that is providing a loan for something is going to hand the guy a stack of cash, they want to be sure it is actually going to someone for a good.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    IF the person is getting a load on the item, the bank gives him a cashier's check for the amount made out to him and you. He signs it and turns it over to you. You can either accept the check and hope for the best or meet him at his bank to cash it out. No bank that is providing a loan for something is going to hand the guy a stack of cash, they want to be sure it is actually going to someone for a good.
    Ok, that makes sense. That must have been what happened when I sold my truck. It was so long ago I can't remember exactly how it all went down.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Cash or meet at their bank and get a cashiers check directly from them and cash it out there.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Escrow

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    How are you verifying a cashier's check on the spot?
    You can call the bank and verify during business hours.

I had to deal with that when I flew across the country with a cashiers check to buy a car and the seller wanted to have some confirmation before I took the car from him.

0 Not allowed!