Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The ScAmazon thread

The ScAmazon thread

So let me start off by saying I do love Amazon and utilize it to the fullest extent over the years. (Looking at the report you can download at the end of the year is scary)

With that said, we all know that Amazon is a paradise for scammers. Between faking/paying for reviews, products taking over discontinued products (phone charger that for some reason has reviews of garage door opener type things), 15 different products under unique names of "Xiopeng charger" even though all those items are identical etc.

It's becoming a minor chore to shop on Amazon. It's enough of a problem to have decision fatigue choosing between things, but it's further complicated that the fact that real items from real brands get grouped with fakes in warehouses so it's a crap shoot whether you get a real quality product even if you're buying the quality name.

On top of that fakes are fire hazards https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/busin...nvs/index.html

Using fake spot helps https://www.fakespot.com/analyzer as well as review Meta https://reviewmeta.com/

For some products I feel like its worth going to major chains like Walmart that have proven distribution channels to make sure that you don't get a fake.

I have no doubt that at least one or two electronic things I've ordered over the years is likely a fake of a real product without me being aware of it by now.

Nothing is safe. Shampoos, hard drives, electronics, sensors, tools, cosmetics are huge etc.

Thoughts?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Vovchandr; 12-05-20 at 07:44 PM.

Re: The ScAmazon thread

out of the blue, I got a fuel pump for my V-strom, delivered from Amazon, today ? I ordered one last summer, and it came in a timely fashion, not sure why they sent me a second one, 7 months later

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I just went through this frustration the other day. Like many of us, I have a handful of battery tenders for keeping the gazillion powersports, mower and other small batteries from going flat. I usually buy the Deltran brand. I still have a couple of the old style battery tender jrs that had a massive transformer in the wall wart. The other day I dropped one on the garage floor, smashed the hell out of it. I didn't have enough to go around anyway so I figured I'd just buy another couple. Oddly hard to find from the 'zon. Only available "from these sellers" at a pretty hefty markup. Off to fleabay. Not much better. Started looking at the other, suggested units they had. Lot of recent reviews claiming they boil batteries.

Finally I wound up at Northern Tool and bought a couple BatteryMINDer brand maintainers for less than one Deltran.. with free shipping. And I didn't even have to pay $100 year for the honor.

I've been less and less pleased with Amazon these days. Although I was amused the other day when I received 50 Deutsch connector pins in an envelope the other day. I think I had them in an order with some specialty wire and misc other crap. I canceled that stuff but must have missed the $8 pack of pins. Lol.

I told my wife I was thinking we should not renew this year. She told me I was welcome to make myself at home on the couch. There is a pretty constant stream from their warehouses to my door.

That said, did you watch The Boys. Pretty great.

I completely stopped shopping on amazon. I'd rather pay more and not need to worry about whatever I'm buying being some cheap piece of shit. I canceled my prime membership as well. If I need microfiber towles for detailing I can go to the rag company and order exactly what I need, trust the description and have it take maybe 2 days longer to arrive rather than sifting through Xianpin, Szenhun, Happyfuntime brands with fake product description and photo shopped pictures. Books are easy to find on ebay and other resellers. Some electronics I trust from Anker and a few other brands. But overall this year I gave up on amazon. The money savings is hardly worth if and for the 100$ cost of prime I didn't save that on products.

Last edited by 01xj; 12-05-20 at 09:53 PM.

Agreed with all of the above... Definitely a love/hate thing.
    They're getting even more of my $$ these days with their HD/Ultra HD music streaming. TONS of stuff in 24 bit/96K. On the right setup it absolutely makes a difference over the high-rate Spotify equivalent.
    What's Bezos worth these days? $190B?

Lifer

Its been a real problem here with all the random delivery drivers stealing or swapping your items before it gets to you. Amazon has some shady drivers.

About 1:3 of their drivers is terrified of our dog. Our dog is the type that would hold the flashlight for you if you broke in after dark.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

geez...I never used amazon enough to have a bad experience I guess

but it's mostly a brand name moto/dirtbike item

why yes, you can ship me a lezyne high volume/low pressure pump, some aber dominator 2 stroke oil, and a pivot works linkage bearing kit

but you guys should know me by now. I don't have a correctly prioritized brain, and with Amazon I sometimes feeling bad about ManBearPig coming

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Amazing. Last night was the first time I ever bought something on Amazon. A Egyptian Cotton Goose Down Comforter, sheets, pillow. Nearly $300 bucks. Now I am wishing I went with Bed and Bath.

RIDING THE RAILS

Bed Bath? Aren’t they out of business or really reducing retail?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Bed Bath? Aren’t they out of business or really reducing retail?
    Haven't been in their stores in years. Website looks up and running okay. And they ship.

RIDING THE RAILS

I def feel you guys with the amount of bullshit that is on there. I was trying to find a case my my kids nintento switch and the amount of crap was befuddling

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    But car manufacturers do it all the fucking time so I guess it's a financial risk gamble?
    How so?

Last edited by jhawley; 12-07-20 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    How so?
    I think he's arguing the Tyler Durden point. Y fault will result in $XXX in lawsuits but will cost us $XXXX to fix. Cheaper to leave the fault and deal with the lawsuits.

He's a bit na´ve with "all the fucking time" point but thats another argument. Premediated negligence results in deaths with evidence is much more expensive in courts (we are talking bankruptcy territory) than discovery of a fault being worse than approved and expected in testing after taking reasonable precaution to minimize the effects. IE "we tried our best and still failed. Sorry"

Edit: He is right in the Amazon case however. The volume of regular sales vs fakes doesn't hurt their bottom line in the end so no point in trying to fix this very expensive issue to fix. Most don't even notice or care.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 12-07-20 at 11:01 AM.

Lifer

I've haven't run in to too many suspicious products bought-and-sold from Amazon directly. I've been keeping an eye out for it for years - so either I'm lucky, my process works, or I'm not good at spotting the fakes. There's been a couple of things that I'd say might be fakes, but never confirmed any and functioned the same.

However, I've noticed the no-name Chinese 'brands' have exploded in popularity over the past few years, and it's actually making it harder to find 'known brand' products. I don't mind buying a no-name for some stuff, and in a lot of cases, the quality isn't terribly different if you're smart about it. But I wonder what the future looks like long-term. Amazon's house brands and the fly-by-night stuff is tag teaming established brands.
    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Amazon has some shady drivers.
    The UPS, Fedex, and USPS delivery vehicles usually drive very predictably - as if it's an experienced professional driver. I'm sure there's exceptions to the rule. However, that trait seems often absent when I see an Amazon delivery vehicle.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post

The UPS, Fedex, and USPS delivery vehicles usually drive very predictably - as if it's an experienced professional driver. I'm sure there's exceptions to the rule. However, that trait seems often absent when I see an Amazon delivery vehicle.
    Those companies actually have training and standards. It was a full week course when I temped for FedEx and a few people washed out.

At Amazon, if you can fog a mirror and not crash a van in a parking for a few minutes they set you loose. They are positively desperate for people.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Hypertarded

I feel like they have "jumped the shark", still use them and still a good company, but it seems as if they as a company(not a stock$$) have peaked and are leveling out / trending down. Got too big too fast, particularly with the Corona wave of business. Not the best price any more, deliveries are taking longer, Amazon delivery drivers SUCK.

Order 2 items last week, both in stock & both supplied by Amazon, delivery took 7 days(Prime customer), were delayed 1 day from original estimate. The delivery arrived during a raging downpour, I have a small overhang near the front door that provides a dry spot to leave smaller packages. Not only did the driver not bother placing the box, which contained electronics, under the overhang he dropped it in a puddle on the front walk and DID NOT bother putting the package in a plastic bag.

In contrast I also received a large shipment (20"x25" 18Lb box) from another online retailer on the same day delivered by FedEx, driver had box wrapped in a heavy duty plastic bag and placed it under the overhang. And it was a day earlier that expected, 2 days.

As far as price, now that they have so many PRIME members addicted, their pricing is FAR from the best now. I was looking for a new TV during the black day sales, they had a model I wanted on sale & in stock, but it was going to take 12-15 days. Checked other retailers on line, found the exact same model at Best Buy, in stock at my local store ready for pick-up, for $70 less.

I have been rethinking my Prime membership, I initially joined, when I bought my Otter Sled, a few years ago, it was a no brainer, I saved, cost of the sled + membership was nearly $100 less than buying it for a cheaper price + shipping, since then, a lot of other places are offering free shipping, and only benefit has been the video service, the price has gone from $99 to $119, maybe more next time around, there has always been places with lower prices, depending on product, a Kermit Chair for instance, has always been cheaper, directly from the manufacturer, even with shipping

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Amazon inventory management causes authentic vendors to sell fakes

https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazo...ry-management/

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Amazing. Last night was the first time I ever bought something on Amazon. A Egyptian Cotton Goose Down Comforter, sheets, pillow. Nearly $300 bucks. Now I am wishing I went with Bed and Bath.
    My stuff came in and I was so impressed I bought another set for the guest bed. 1500 thread count is so comfortable. I am satisfied. Lucky this time. But in the future I will stick with stores I trust that ship.

RIDING THE RAILS

My favorite so far was an order for Loctite 243. Ordered a larger size bottle, it arrived loose (not packaged with cardboard backing) with crooked, low resolution stickers in Hindi. Oh yeah the bottle was also 2/3 full. Who knows what was actually in it.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Zolden View Post
    My favorite so far was an order for Loctite 243. Ordered a larger size bottle, it arrived loose (not packaged with cardboard backing) with crooked, low resolution stickers in Hindi. Oh yeah the bottle was also 2/3 full. Who knows what was actually in it.
    Are you confident that was shipped directly from Amazon, or was it a third party seller?

nedirtriders.com

Are you confident that was shipped directly from Amazon, or was it a third party seller?
    It wouldn't matter. As the articles say above and what the core root of the problem is that, shipped directly from Amazon just means that fake stuff and real stuff were mixed in the warehouse under the same SKU in the same box.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    It wouldn't matter. As the articles say above and what the core root of the problem is that, shipped directly from Amazon just means that fake stuff and real stuff were mixed in the warehouse under the same SKU in the same box.
    There's 3 tiers:
    Sold from and shipped by Amazon
    Sold by third party, shipped by Amazon (chance of third-party's bad product getting mixed in to Amazon stockpile)
    Sold by third party, shipped by third party

It's that last one that is often the source of many low-quality substitutes. Note that I was asking specifically if the he was sure who shipped it.

nedirtriders.com

There's 3 tiers:
    Sold from and shipped by Amazon
    Sold by third party, shipped by Amazon (chance of third-party's bad product getting mixed in to Amazon stockpile)
    Sold by third party, shipped by third party
    I think this is why some of us are souring on the site as a whole. I don't have the inclination to care.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think this is why some of us are souring on the site as a whole. I don't have the inclination to care.
    Understood, although the 3rd party option has always existed, and always been a source of negative reviews. I think Amazon could at least make it a little more clear when you're about to buy from someone who essentially isn't 'Amazon' in any way, and is just using them as a payment processing/listing center.

nedirtriders.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast