Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

School me on boats...... Power boats

Re: School me on boats...... Power boats

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I wonder if that's one of those things you've heard a bunch out loud but never realized was an acronym? People will pronounce like the word, not spelling out each letter. "We'll take the rib to shore".
    The highest-volume boat manufacturer in Massachusetts is RibCraft. The fiberglass hulls are made by Whitecap Composites in Peabody, who also makes a lot of small one-design sailboats.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Got the bug last summer and bought a 2001 Silverton 330SB. I'll admit we use it mainly as a water front condo (or on water condo) + the weekly cruise around the bay to drop anchor and hang out. Had a survey done and included an old friend who was Harbormaster many years, boater since a kid, etc. Survey found cyl head problems and a local mechanic had all 4 heads rebuilt before we bought it. As others said salt water and air is a hostile environment. You ride a bike so you probably are mechanically oriented. That is good because everyone in the boat world seems to move slowly. The good mechanics are busy and backed up, so if you want to keep on going you learn to do things yourself. Finding out about things like impellers and raw water vs fresh water cooling. Fresh water = think closed cooling system like a car, but instead of air going around a radiator sea water / raw water goes around a heat exchanger. Never spent so much time looking at oil and temp gauges when running an ICE powered vehicle. Ended up mounting my own radar and GPS as the techs were so backed up, even in April. Of course covid added to that problem. I have 3 good friends who work at a high end boat/shipyard. Only 1 of them has a boat and that seems to be common. Long story short we are enjoying it, but the most active boaters at our marina are the small center console and bow rider folks.

That is what the wife would want.. luxury. and that is what we would be looking for. almost a vacation home feel vs a center console and baking in the sun with no sofa or potential to overnight somewhere, protected. Kids are 5yo and 5 months old now so protection from elements is key. Though the center console would be more fun and easier to use/ get out on but misses the "luxury/ comfortable feel wife wants ( and I want)
    If I showed her a center console for family time I would get laughed at.

I'll have to crunch some #'s see if it plausible and how much we can stand to lose each season.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

We got a sportbridge which has a big above water cabin and a lot of seating up above on the bridge. Steps instead of ladder to make it easier for everyone to sit up there and hang out. Itís not a deep V fishing hull with a high bow rise so it will get moved around but for the bay itís great to drop anchor and spread out. Roomy at the dock, no crouching and plenty of daylight in main cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    yup and you can spend huge money on a RIB. Some of those yacht tenders have dual engines and a couple hundred gallon fuel tank all surrounded by a hard bottom and inflated tubes.
    70% of RibCraft production goes to the Navy and other government agencies. The Navy boats have turbodiesel jet drives and the tubes are bolted on, not bonded, so they can be changed on board. Back before Covid.

People always complain about how expensive RIB’s are and how little room they have. They don’t realize they use a smaller outboard, with better performance and much much lower fuel consumption, and are much easier to tow.

So I ask them, “If you get caught out in bad weather and need help, what does the Coast Guard send out to help you?” Oh, yeah - a RIB. [not always, of course]

People are also much friendlier on the water because they know you aren’t going to crush their hull. Doesn’t meet the OP’s needs or interests but they are a lot of fun.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-13-20 at 08:33 PM.

The bigger RIBs are pretty fast. This is a small boat transfer I was on to bring me to shore in Sasebo, Japan. There are 5 of us on an 11 meter RIB. Top speed is 40ish knots.

School me on boats...... Power boats-boat-transfer-sasebo-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Spec sheet said mine will do 40 knots (46mph) but I’ve seen GPS 42 knots (48mph) on dead calm water with 2 aboard. RibCraft 6.5 with 150 Yamaha 4 stroke.

In typical afternoon sea breeze chop we cruise at 17-24 knots. In bigger waves it depends on how much the crew wants to be airborne....

So...I went fishing this past wknd and charter skipper was a boat mechanic out of marinemax in Quincy.
    We got to talkign about boats and what I wanted, costs etc..

He said budget about 10k / yr for a 30' cabin cruiser like a Sportbridge ( maybe not that nice) for maintenance, spring and winter closeup and storage/ slips etc...
    That's not too too? bad?

I checked out freedom boat club where you can reserve boats for use. The initiation fee is $7.5k and $350/ mth.
    Wow. and they dont even have any boats that you can overnight/ cabin, mainly all center consoles. Not what I want.

Budget of 20k for boat and 10k/yr bill for the upkeep etc. It might be doable. Wife is up for it. So I think it might be time to start kicking tires/bouys.

Current environment of boats is like everything else. No new boats are being made due to Covid more or less and that puts pressure on the used mkt.( see inflatable pools and price people were/ are asking for demand/ supply for a n example) People are getting top dollar and beyond for their used boats.

Strategy may be wait till fall or spring and jump on a deal when these newbies realize that storage etc is crazy $$ expensive

We shall see

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Budget of 20k for boat and 10k/yr bill for the upkeep etc. It might be doable. Wife is up for it. So I think it might be time to start kicking tires/bouys.
    en-corporate some kind of side business and make it tax deductible

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

My last two boats, always ocean used. The big one drank 60 Gallons of fuel an hour WOT! Being handy with a wrench will save you a lot of $$ over time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails School me on boats...... Power boats-aquasport-jpg   School me on boats...... Power boats-formula-jpg  

So...I went fishing this past wknd and charter skipper was a boat mechanic out of marinemax in Quincy.
    We got to talkign about boats and what I wanted, costs etc..

He said budget about 10k / yr for a 30' cabin cruiser like a Sportbridge ( maybe not that nice) for maintenance, spring and winter closeup and storage/ slips etc...
    That's not too too? bad?

I checked out freedom boat club where you can reserve boats for use. The initiation fee is $7.5k and $350/ mth.
    Wow. and they dont even have any boats that you can overnight/ cabin, mainly all center consoles. Not what I want.

Current environment of boats is like everything else. No new boats are being made due to Covid more or less and that puts pressure on the used mkt.( see inflatable pools and price people were/ are asking for demand/ supply for a n example) People are getting top dollar and beyond for their used boats.

Strategy may be wait till fall or spring and jump on a deal when these newbies realize that storage etc is crazy $$ expensive

We shall see
    I'd say $10k/yr sounds about right if no major upgrades/repairs needed. Figure $90-$150/ft for a slip for the season depending where you want to be, add $2,500 or so for haul/winter storage/spring splash. Re-power can get hugely expensive if needed, as can electronics(new radar/plotter setups can run upwards of $10k)

Boat market is odd right now. On one hand, a lot of smaller pleasure boats are selling fast due to folks not being able to go on vacation and figure they'll pick up a $15k bayliner instead. On the other hand, there are a LOT of really good deals out there right now for some nice boats that are a bit on the pricey side to run. I'm in the early stages of shopping for a 28-32 foot offshore capable rig(Carolina Classic, Blackfin, Albemarle) and really wish I could pull the trigger now.

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    My last two boats, always ocean used. The big one drank 60 Gallons of fuel an hour WOT! Being handy with a wrench will save you a lot of $$ over time
    those pics are from wingersheek... exactly what im hoping to do with the boat.
    On the other hand 60 gallons per hour...holy F&*(.

hmmmm......

Pretty sure that Formula has 2 high output V8's. They are thirsty.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Years ago I got a brief tour of large high end sport fisher and the hired captain told me it burns 120GPH ... at cruising speed. Granted it had twin engines the size of a goldwing under it.

nedirtriders.com

those pics are from wingersheek... exactly what im hoping to do with the boat.
    Yup, Until this last fall I was living on Rye Beach and had a silly fast Yamaha Waverunner with 260HP that I would run from Rye harbor to Gloucester in no time at all..Supercharged 1.8L and the 0-70 was mind blowing. I just sold it a couple months ago, like everything else, I wish I kept it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails School me on boats...... Power boats-20180916_101504-jpg  

It was a pretty heavy boat with only 365HP big blocks.

I burn little fuel as I cruise at granny speeds and enjoy the scenery. A friends center console will run up to 58 mph and that’s fun too. He’s working on breaking 60 (GPS measured). He likes to get places quick to swim and beach and I like to enjoy the ride, and keep the wife happy. But yeah slips are $90-135 near me in R.I. Parts cost more than car parts. If parts aren’t marine specific, like a belt, you can save money buying at auto parts store but some parts that can cause a spark are best left to the marine store to be safe.

2013 ZX6R-636

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

The craigslist link does not work, but there's one of those 3380s for sale in my marina. Seems to be a solid boat and it goes out all the time. Any bigger than that and diesels would be a better choice. Crusader 454s are the best 454s out there.

Couple of gotchas with boats like that are insurance and slips. Getting a slip can be very tough in places and insuring an older boat like that can be challenging. MAke sure you can get both before you buy.

If you want to check out the boating lifestyle, stop by Hampton River Marina and I can 'splain why I like it so much. My wife and I live on our boat, cruise i often, and love it.

School me on boats...... Power boats-dji_0065-jpg

This was our boat in Somes Sound (Acadia NP) a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 08-28-20 at 08:50 AM.

That is what the wife would want.. luxury. and that is what we would be looking for. almost a vacation home feel vs a center console and baking in the sun with no sofa or potential to overnight somewhere, protected. Kids are 5yo and 5 months old now so protection from elements is key. Though the center console would be more fun and easier to use/ get out on but misses the "luxury/ comfortable feel wife wants ( and I want)
    If I showed her a center console for family time I would get laughed at.

I'll have to crunch some #'s see if it plausible and how much we can stand to lose each season.
    The size and style (sedan bridge/sportfish/convertible) boat you are looking at are incredibly popular and there are tons out there. Don't let the model names fool you about the size though, one manufacturer's 330 could actually be a bigger boat than another manufacturer's 370 (some include the pulpit and swim platform in the model name length, some don't) so plan to look at many boat models. In the photo below, the smaller boat is an Ocean 43, the bigger boat is a Tollycraft 44. Looks like a smidge more than a foot difference, no? The transoms were exactly even in that shot, BTW.

School me on boats...... Power boats-dji_0223-jpg

The three worst things for a boat are neglect, sun and water... At the age of boat you are looking at, condition is vastly more important than the maker, but the best find is a wll-maintained, fresh-water boat from a quality builder. Consider traveling to the great lakes to find a great boat, most out there only spend 6 months in the water and the other 6 months indoors. Obviously, the fresh water is much easier on the boat too. My last two boats came from the great lakes and were in fantastic condition. I towed one home on it's trailer, and cruised the other home via: Lake Erie/Erie Canal/Hudson River/East River/LI sound/Buzzards Bay/Cape Cod Canal/MA Bay. It was a great 16 day trip that really allowed us to get to know the boat.

Things to avoid, IMO:
    Soft decks
    Rotten stringers
    Obvious leaks on the interior (look for water stains on the woodwork, especially around windows)
    Black water (sewage) in the bilge (failed fiberglass holding tanks are often inaccessible. Some install composting toilets rather than deal with the bad tank)
    Leaking fuel tanks (aluminum tanks in salt water that were not properly mounted will fail, and they are often quite expensive to replace, though you can install bladders in them).
    Damaged props/shafts/struts/rudders/rudder posts
    Raw water cooling in a salt water boat

Things that are important to me:
    Seaworthiness: If it looks top heavy or does not taper inward from the widest part of the bow to the transom, it probably rides like a pig in following seas and beam seas.
    Adequately wide side decks with high railings and adequate handholds
    Foredeck that does not make you feel like you could slide off the boat at any time. Those down-sloping and crowned foredecks look great, but are unsafe in rough water.
    Hydraulic steering with auto pilot. I had no idea how much I love auto pilot until I got a boat with it. It's awesome.
    Good canvas (you do not want to know how expensive new canvas is...)
    Limited to no wood on the exterior
    Newer electronics
    Natural ventilation. Nobody wants to listen to a genset running all night in a quiet anchorage, unless it's so hot that everyone is running a genset.

Good luck!

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 08-28-20 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    ...and cruised the other home via: Lake Erie/Erie Canal/Hudson River/East River/LI sound/Buzzards Bay/Cape Cod Canal/MA Bay. It was a great 16 day trip that really allowed us to get to know the boat.
    That sounds like an awesome trip! Any good Korean joints along the way?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    That sounds like an awesome trip! Any good Korean joints along the way?
    That's funny, we actually looked for Korean food within walking distance of Albany Yacht Club when we stayed there overnight. I think we got Thai (actually pronounced "Thigh", who knew?) or Mexican that night.

The trip was fantastic except for the last day when we cruised from Buzzards Bay to Hampton Beach in thick fog all day and the 27 year old radar crapped out. The trip was also really scary because we were in a 27 year old boat that was 100 times more complex than any boat we'd ever owned, 1000 miles from home, with no car, and no idea how reliable the boat would be. I lost 7 pounds on that trip from anxiety, even though we ate terribly and got almost no exercise. As it worked out, the only thing that broke was the radar. The boat has been wonderfully reliable and great fun. We have put over 320 hours on the engines in less than 2 seasons. I have a vastly better understanding of all the systems on board now too. It has over 100 circuit breakers, at least 25 pumps, three diesel engines (two propulsion and one genset), one gas engine (on the dinghy), a propane system, four ways to get electricity (two 12V batteries in two banks and six 6 volt batteries in two 12V bank (with paralleling switches for all), a 3000 watt inverter, two 50 amp 120V shore power inlets with paralleling switch, and an 8000
    watt generator). It also has three reverse cycle heater/air conditioners (they operate like geothermal heat pumps, except they use sea water rather than ground water). It's vastly more complex than my house...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12