Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

High school extracurricular programs

High school extracurricular programs

Hey NESR,

Looking for some programs outside of school for my cousin. Hes a jr in highschool who is a bit of an introvert. Nothing wrong with that but self confidence isnt quite his strong quality at the moment. Hes going to graduate in a couple years, and I was thinking it would be a good idea to get him exposed to some different industries, experiences etc. both to build is self confidence, get him outside his comfort zone, and help him get an idea of what he might want to pursue in further education or a career.

Anyone have an experiences with programs or with the topic in general? I traveled internationally a lot when I was a kid, and looking back I think that helped me later in life.

0 Not allowed!
    Tuono

Re: High school extracurricular programs

I was part of a robotics team when I was in high school. Quite a few schools these days have them through the F.I.R.S.T. program. It's a great way to be a part of a team without all the "jock" mentality. We learned all sorts of technical stuff too like robotics, engineering, manufacturing, even web design and programming.

2 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2007 Kawasaki EX650

That sounds good, but their site said reg for 2019 is done.

0 Not allowed!
    Tuono

Lifer

I would say build off his hobbies if you can and if he has any first. It might make him more willing to get up and go out to do things if he is already interested in them to begin with. Do you know what he is into other than hiding in his room?

Getting him into the trades or at least learning a little about each one may be an easy one. Tech schools offer evening classes and course on things like plumbing and welding. Some are only a couple hours long. Maybe talk to his school and see if they offer any partnerships with local companies or other schools that he may be able to sign up for at reduced costs. My high school teamed up with a local tech school so i could spend part of my day learning from each one. I got the best of both schools. It really helped me in life and continues to even to this day.

ROTC did wonders for my nephew. Of course once that ended he went right back to his old ways but we tried. It had real promise but unfortunately he didn't. It made him tolerable as a human being for a couple years and deep down we hope he took something from all the time and effort he put into it but years later it hasnt shown up yet. Sad really.

0 Not allowed!