Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

School Me: “In-law” apartments

Re: School Me: “In-law” apartments

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    The biggest surprise to me is that any septic components are required to be 75’ away from the well.
    how much separation do you think you should have between your drinking water and your wastewater? 75 has been the regulation forever in NH, since the beginning of regulation back in '67, Used to be able to get waivers, but in the past 6-7 months, waivers have been tough to get. -shit-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    how much separation do you think you should have between your drinking water and your wastewater? 75 has been the regulation forever in NH, since the beginning of regulation back in '67, Used to be able to get waivers, but in the past 6-7 months, waivers have been tough to get. -shit-jpg
    Isn’t that only Incase the system fails anyway? I don’t even think my septic system as is is 75’ away from my well.

0 Not allowed!

Isn’t that only Incase the system fails anyway? I don’t even think my septic system as is is 75’ away from my well.
    mine is barely 75, no, the distance is not an"in case of failure" thing, it is the distance that it takes for nutrients .. nitrates and phosphates, to attach to soil particles, and treat to safe drinking water levels, it is also the setback to surface waters to prevent algae blooms

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

mine is barely 75, no, the distance is not an"in case of failure" thing, it is the distance that it takes for nutrients .. nitrates and phosphates, to attach to soil particles, and treat to safe drinking water levels, it is also the setback to surface waters to prevent algae blooms
    Sounds like propaganda to me.

0 Not allowed!

Sounds like propaganda to me.
    NH is one of the few states that base their regulations on science rather than politics. However, in the beginning, we looked at what other states had, but over the years, some regulations have relaxed, and others have got stricter, 75 feet to a well is one of the few that hasn't changed

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Rhode island, the distance is 100' separation from the well to the leaching field. My current house had a new septic installed in 2016, the septic tank is 40' from my well, and the leaching field is over 200' away.
    For what it's worth, the 80 year old cesspool the new system replaced in 2016 was 50' from the well.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Rhode island, the distance is 100' separation from the well to the leaching field. My current house had a new septic installed in 2016, the septic tank is 40' from my well, and the leaching field is over 200' away.
    For what it's worth, the 80 year old cesspool the new system replaced in 2016 was 50' from the well.
    I thought the 75’ thing was for any septic component, the tank can be closer?

0 Not allowed!

I have no idea on other states, but in Rhode Island, yes the tank can be closer. A properly working system only discharges waist water in the leaching field , so in theory there’s no ground contamination around the tank

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

in NH, the tank can be as close as 50ft if it is sealed (painted with tar) some towns are stricter, also, some lenders have 100ft requirements. I try to exceed the states minimum and maintain 100ft if possible, limiting lenders, reduces value

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

in NH, the tank can be as close as 50ft if it is sealed (painted with tar) some towns are stricter, also, some lenders have 100ft requirements. I try to exceed the states minimum and maintain 100ft if possible, limiting lenders, reduces value
    My parents live in Chester and their leach field is covered with small trees. Obviously it’s an older house so I don’t know when the leach field was installed....

I either have to excavate and cut into the main house existing system here, and use a pump.... which I don’t know why but that seems more complicated, or do a separate system but the well is like 15’ from where the addition would be built (which I thought was a good thing at first).

So I would have to shoot the new system out very far from the addition and well.

1- either way the pipes leaving the addition and either going to the main house or running out to the back of the property will originate close to the well, I’m assuming that’s okay since neither contractor mentioned it.

2- how much area would be needed to clear in my woods, as that would be required to hit the 76’+ mark.

Side note.

I just assumed of course my mom would not want to truck up stairs above the garage even thought her bedroom in her house now is technically on the third floor (she doesn’t leave much so she is only going second to third floor, but if she leaves she would go first to third).

Building on top of the garage allegedly saves $21,500, although we have a hook up on foundation work and amazingly the lead contractor said he’s cool about working with other sub contractors we line up...

I asked my mom, I actually was like, you wouldn’t want to go up and down stairs right? And she actually said she likes stairs and “use the muscles or lose them”.... which is great now, but if ���� She loves to be in her 90s that might become an issue

So poll. If it was your mom would you build above the stairs and worst case (not being funny, get that motorized chair that rides the railing ((the stairs will be enclosed)) ). Or okay it safe and insist on building off the back of the garage on a slab and have it be a first floor dwelling??

0 Not allowed!

I'd ask her, but those stair things aren't as bad/goofy as they sound. My buddy bought a house that we renovated in Loudon that had it when he/we moved in. We had a blast riding it up and down after a few too many drinks . He ended up donating it to the local church so others could install it and got a pretty decent write off for doing so if I remember correctly.

They serve their purpose, though I have no idea what they cost. I'd think medicare/aid would cover it?

1 Not allowed!

My parents live in Chester and their leach field is covered with small trees. :
    doesn't take that long if you don't maintain a lawn over the leach field, a large system I designed for a daycare in town about 25 years ago was quickly overgrown with trees, several times I told the owners the system would get root bound, they cut the saplings, but still didn't maintain a lawn. the small stumps sprouted with new saplings and even stronger root systems. They had to replace the system about 5 years ago, twice in a 20 year span it had birch trees 30 feet tall growing on the leach bed, they finally wised up and are maintaining a lawn. The only reason the system lasted as long as it did, was cause it was designed as a 24hour day care for 80 kids and the 24 hour never happened, so at full capacity 80 kids, the septic system was running at 30%-50% design capacity that has a 3.0 peaking factor, so over all running at 15%

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12