Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

SCUBA tanks

SCUBA tanks

Does anyone know about the rules regarding SCUBA tanks as far as longevity. I have some old tanks from when I lived in Fla. They haven't been VIPed or Hydroed in years. They still have charge to them though of dry air. I figure they are 25years old now, only been filled about 10 times. Is it worth trying to sell them as is or scrap them?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Re: SCUBA tanks

Eh...I forget the rules exactly....they would need to be serviced (and I think recertified?) before use. I'd give the local dive shop a call.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Need a yearly visual and a hydro every five years. Are they steel or alumnium? Esp. if steel they're probably fine.

I wouldn't bother selling them WITHOUT getting the hydro done though. Maybe check CL/FB and see if the selling price for some old used tanks is higher than the cost of the hydros by enough to be worth it.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Yeah good call on CL. Several tanks on there that need cert'd, $20-30 per tank, which is what I was thinking they are worth. I think a hydro is fairly costly, probably just break even with that and have to go through the hassle.
    I'll just throw them on in current condition and see what bites, probably bad time of year though. They are aluminum 80's. I just want them out of my shed.

Yeah, I wouldn't hydro them personally... You're not likely to see the return on that.

Aluminum tanks that old are great for making a giant wind chime. If the base is flat they are usually aluminum. Try to read the markings and google them, there were a bad batch of (potentially) exploding aluminum tanks. Good that they are under pressure, but if under full pressure and aluminum, not as good.

All tanks need a hydro every 5 years, and an annual visual inspection (which is a self imposed guideline from the dive industry).

Steel tanks are valuable. I have lots ;-)

Last edited by two-rocks; 10-08-20 at 11:46 AM.

Good point. The AL tanks in question are Luxfer from the 1980's... 6351 AL alloy. Sounds like these are newer than that, but absolutely worth checking. If they're '80's Luxfer they're essentially worthless (unfortunately).

No, I remember the exploding tank issue, these are not them. The dive shop I bought them from had one of the bad tanks pop during a fill. These are definitely Aluminium. They have 3-500PSI in each, so they should still be dry inside. I only used them a handful of times. We typically rented tanks, these were for the boat.

Whatever you do don't take them to diversified marine

[/IMG][/URL]

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Bummer, I am looking for an old tank to use as a fill for my PCP air rifles.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR