Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All Season Tires

Re: All Season Tires

tirerack is not a Nokian dealer

probably not in stock because it is a popular winter tire

Dealer locator - Find your retailer / Nokian Tires

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 12-31-16 at 04:36 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    tirerack is not a Nokian dealer

probably not in stock because it is a popular winter tire

Dealer locator - Find your retailer / Nokian Tires
    Thanks, I saw this.
    It just seemed strange that discounttire does not have ANY Nokian tires in the Accord size and it is listed as All-Weather tires on their website.

Anyways, thanks to this thread I now learned about another good option.

0 Not allowed!

I wish they made the Nokians in the stock size for my wife's new car. Had them on the old car and they were fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

From the company's website:

"2005

Nokian Tyres' second factory started production in Vsevolozhsk, Russia"

How do we know we don't get the russkie made tires? Because me driving on the ruski made anything would as likely as me flying Aeroflot.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    No doubt, Hakks have been the best snow tire I have ever run, but the General Arctics run a close second at half the price
    We have one Chevy Cruze with Altimax Arctics (because dealer ran out of Hakka R2's) and another with R2's, and a third with Blizzak WS80's. So we can do back-to-back-to-back comparisons.

Compared to R2's they are noisier, get worse mileage, handle worse in dry and wet. They are very good in deep snow. On ice they are OK but all the newer generation tires (including the Blizzak WS80) are better. They are widely distributed, fit cars and trucks, can be studded, and as you mentioned, they're cheap.

General Tire is owned by Continental, who also owns Gislavid. When Gislavid replaced the NordFrost 3 with the NordFrost 4 (which you can buy in Canada) the molds were transferred to General and rebranded.

The Nordman brand is an older Nokian Hakkapeliita sold at a discount as well.
    Nokian Nordman 5 - Winter Tires / Nokian Tires

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-31-16 at 05:54 PM.

General articmax lover here.
    Had them on my mazda3 Hb and currently on my electric Chevy volt. Fantastic snow tire for the price. But the volt HATESs them. Between the cold and the drag of the tires my EV range has taken a huge shit. Not the end of the world as I work 11 miles from home and have a level 2 charger at work. Other than than that I wish they made them bigger as to put on my wife's lexus NX hybrid lease.

0 Not allowed!

I don't see a critical need for the snow tires in Connecticut where we might have about 3 snowfalls per year. And I made it fine on all seasons during my son's hockey travel all over North East and Canada...
    Definitely would be in worse shape without a GPS, but that is for another thread

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    and as you mentioned, they're cheap.
    I have never run the General on a car or truck, my experience with them is as a darkside tire for my V-strom, I chose the general Arctic cause I was making a gamble that it would even fit between my swingarm and clear the chain, and they were cheap, and as I have posted before, I was surprised at their performance on snow & ice beyond my wildest imagination, but my next darkside tire will be a studded Hak.

I first ran Hakks on a VW Vanagon I had about 25 years ago,

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 12-31-16 at 07:22 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

You can get Nokians at Direct Tire in Boston metro area.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Did not read the whole thread, did catch Rada's post. He's right on. Worth every penny and then some.

Pete; buy her the snow tires and spare wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    All that said, if the driver is still clueless tires don't matter much anyway.
    Point against this. The modern electronics (stability & traction control) plus snows are pretty unbelievable. I had to try really frickin' hard to get the VW to spin. It was zero fun, but stupid safe.

With the amount of driving I do I should be putting a set on my pickup. The all-seasons the truck shipped with are not very good.

0 Not allowed!

Our winters are usually shittier than they have been lately. But even winter tires will give you better grip on dry than an summery sporty tires when it's below 40 degrees.

My old mazda3 grand touring was UNDRIVEABLE in the snow. Because the all seasons found not get any grip. At the time I was living in waterbury and there is a shit load of hills in that town. I had just moved out of my parents place, and basically the car would spin its wheels hopelessly and it would not climb hills, so I was fucked.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Did not read the whole thread, did catch Rada's post. He's right on. Worth every penny and then some.

Pete; buy her the snow tires and spare wheels.

Point against this. The modern electronics (stability & traction control) plus snows are pretty unbelievable. I had to try really frickin' hard to get the VW to spin. It was zero fun, but stupid safe.

With the amount of driving I do I should be putting a set on my pickup. The all-seasons the truck shipped with are not very good.

I did this with my Tundra. The truck goes like shit with the stock tires on 20" wheels. I ended up getting a set of 18" factory aluminum wheels for $400 and put a set of Geolanders on them, they're not a snow tire but they're aggressive enough to make the truck go well in the shitty weather.

1 Not allowed!

All Season Tires-maxresdefault-jpg

Continental DWS works pretty darn good in the snow for Ultra high performance tire, run these on our 2010 Mazda 6s.

Just put a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 on my 2015 WRX, pretty good snow reviews on Tire Rack and reasonably priced. I dare say they are better than Falken snows I ran last winter.......

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12