Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Secret ski / ride stash in NH

Secret ski / ride stash in NH

I just returned from skiing Tenney Mountain in Plymouth, NH today. 1st time I'd been there since I was about 5. It was dumping all afternoon, we skied 4-6" of fresh all day - pretty much BY MYSELF!

I have a buddy that runs the rental shop, his finance is a bit higher up on the food chain there. They're just getting the place back on it's feet and it's a hell of a deal. Tickets on weekends are $40-$45 and the terrain kicks ass. Good stuff in the woods, some flats and a little traversing here & there for you knuckle-draggers, but there's plenty for everyone.

There's only a super slow double to take you to the top, 13min, but there's nobody there. You pretty much have the whole place to yourself.

Check it out if you get a chance. Good stuff, no lift lines, cheap tickets, and 30min closer than Loon, Waterville, or Cannon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Re: Secret ski / ride stash in NH

+1 is a good mountain but ride it for 2-3 days and you run out of new/interesting terrain. great place for beginners and kids.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

I agree, good for a day but wouldn't spend a week there. It's an hour from my house, and better / less $$ than stuff that's 20-45 min away.

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor719 View Post
    I agree, good for a day but wouldn't spend a week there. It's an hour from my house, and better / less $$ than stuff that's 20-45 min away.
    May be just the thing for our annual one-day ski trip. What are ticket prices?

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

......i went to tenny about 10 years ago...it was fun for a day....just so ya know. Cannon has a couple pretty good deals going during the week....wednesdays are $25.00 for NH residents(i think)...and 2 fers on tuesdays and thursdays (2 for $60.00)

I own that 3 story Grey house directly on the hill across from Tenney. I look at the place every day.
    While it is a secret.... It has been under different owernship and bankcruptcy at least 5 times in the last 10 to 15 years. They almost didn't open again this year. The summit chair was removed and put back in and did not open until Jan 17th!!!
    Summit chair ride is Painful 23 minutes! if it doesn't stop.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Quote Originally Posted by keet View Post
    ......i went to tenny about 10 years ago...it was fun for a day....just so ya know. Cannon has a couple pretty good deals going during the week....wednesdays are $25.00 for NH residents(i think)...and 2 fers on tuesdays and thursdays (2 for $60.00)
    So how is the snow at Cannon this year? Everytime I went it was icy or bare or both.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor719 View Post
    I just returned from skiing Tenney Mountain in Plymouth, NH today. 1st time I'd been there since I was about 5. It was dumping all afternoon, we skied 4-6" of fresh all day - pretty much BY MYSELF!

I have a buddy that runs the rental shop, his finance is a bit higher up on the food chain there. They're just getting the place back on it's feet and it's a hell of a deal. Tickets on weekends are $40-$45 and the terrain kicks ass. Good stuff in the woods, some flats and a little traversing here & there for you knuckle-draggers, but there's plenty for everyone.

There's only a super slow double to take you to the top, 13min, but there's nobody there. You pretty much have the whole place to yourself.

Check it out if you get a chance. Good stuff, no lift lines, cheap tickets, and 30min closer than Loon, Waterville, or Cannon.
    I live 15 minutes from there - I should try it sometime. But free riding at Loon and working in Lincoln is kinda hard to pass that up

Bras cause cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by snowborder View Post
    I own that 3 story Grey house directly on the hill across from Tenney. I look at the place every day.
    While it is a secret.... It has been under different owernship and bankcruptcy at least 5 times in the last 10 to 15 years. They almost didn't open again this year. The summit chair was removed and put back in and did not open until Jan 17th!!!
    Summit chair ride is Painful 23 minutes! if it doesn't stop.

Agreed, it's not Waterville or Loon as far as the lift service or ammenities are concerned. White Mtn Exploration is the group that's making a go at it, and I heard they had a lot to deal with in opening the summit chair this year. (snow was good if you hiked for it though)

I understand they're trying to make it a year round playground. My friend cut out a bunch of mtn bike trails there and found more from the summit he'll be working on this summer. They're trying to get some good publicity to the place, it's definitely seen some down times over the years.

It's a little gem though. I live within 30 min of Sunapee and Crotched, about 10 min from Pats Peak - I'd drive the hour to Tenney for the terrain (and the lack of lift lines).

Tickets are $40 or $45 on the weekend, kids under 5 are free, not sure of weekday prices. It's small, good for an intermediate / novice. Experts will have fun for a day or two blasting around the woods, but I wouldn't spend a week skiing there. It's a good place to hit if you need to scratch the itch and don't want to deal with crowds.

Cannon's 2fer Tuesday and NH Wednesdays are good deals too - went there last Wed and got soaked in heavy, wet snow all day.

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

..............the current snow conditions at cannon are very good....

Quote Originally Posted by keet View Post
    ..............the current snow conditions at cannon are very good....
    Cool, I think my kids are ready for it. thx.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

the only problem i saw with cannon was..if you snowboard getting to the top could be a PITA. you take 1 lift about 2/3 up and then have to get on another lift to get to the top. while on paper it looks like on a board you could just cruise over without clipping in the trail is kinda steep and clipping in is a good idea...which sucks because in less than 30 seconds you have to unclip to get back on the lift.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports