Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Seeking smart phone advice

Re: Seeking smart phone advice

Thanks, everyone, I will take it from here and go to work on it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Not that this applies to the OP, but I'll always stay with Android because of the lack of control over the apps used and music. Could never install a hacked app on an iPhone.
    There is this new thing called Jailbreaking that's been out longer than you've been in big boy undies.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    There is this new thing called Jailbreaking that's been out longer than you've been in big boy undies.
    But You don't have to do that on an Android with many of the apps...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Yeah, after you root it to get rid of the bloatware.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

If you need a longer test than fiddling around with phones in the stores, most providers will allow you 30 days to try out a phone. Pretty sure they still let you do that.

Then you can form your own opinion on what works for you, not what works (or doesnt) for everyone else.

Last edited by BMMCBR; 01-15-17 at 10:51 AM.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2007 Kawasaki EX650

Google Fi doesn't really have that.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    No actually this comes from data from 7 cell phone retail locations in MA with the authorization to perform performance test on devices, also from roughly a 45k pool of customers who rated devices and iOS
    (preempt: im not arguing anything with you. im with you, get what you like/what works for you)

you have to admit that iPhones are practically idiot proof. both my parents went from flip phones that were nearly 10 years old to iPhones with practically no issues. when you take into account how stupid the average person is and then realize that half are dumber than that, it may explain why so many people praise the iphone and ios platform

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

There is a good number of phones on the market that don't come with any bloatware but most people are too inept to even know where to find them.

Last edited by 01xj; 01-15-17 at 12:31 PM.

Did someone really try to compare the Note's S Pen to a stylus on an iPhone? That's not even a debate

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Smart phone shoppers buy unlocked Android phones, which largely don't have the crapware that subsidized phones have.

I will never again buy an Android phone that isn't 100% vanilla Android, or as close to as you can possibly get (i.e. Motorola).

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    dont the new iphones not have a headphone jack? who makes an ipod with no headphone jack?
    i think its just personal preference. i dont like iphones, but i admire their ease of use.
    It's certainly controversial. Maybe a little ahead of it's time. But the future is wireless. Bluetooth earpieces have worked great for years now, and the bluetooth headphone market is exploding. Many people are connecting their phone via bluetooth to their car, and to their home theater systems with bluetooth capability. It's a decision that will definitely alienate both curmudgeons and those who have a strong need for a jack. Like maybe connecting a pair of high end wired headphones. For those few who need the jack and an iPhone, the lightning adapter is the bandaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    For me, ios just works. No fucking about required. I screw with computers for a living and have no interest in my spare time.
    Same. The phone is a utility to me. Keep it simple stupid. I generally don't like many things about Apple. But the iPhone does what it should very well. It's not perfect, but no device is. Two major decision points are if the person wants a storage card slot or swappable battery. I think even the holdouts who wanted a swappable battery are realizing it isn't that important anymore. If third party firmware, and blackmarket apps, etc are interesting to OP, then Android is practically a must. But otherwise, I don't see the advantage.

nedirtriders.com

The future may be wireless but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My experience with android is definitely tainted by the crapware and carrier restrictions. Mine was a leased phone.
    I'm no longer leasing. So maybe my experience would be better now.
    The upside is that ios is the same on or off-lease. Android is not.

But my distaste was also with pretty awful hardware. I had a Samsung S4. Was a well regarded phone and wound up being a piece of shit. Also the hardware was out of date and not capable within 6 months. Apple stuff is better built and seems relevant (and usable) for longer.

I have an S7. Works for me but I don't do a tremendous amount with it. It was chosen for me as that is our company issue phone. My wife had an iphone 5, switched to the S7 last year, is happy. I think her iPhone frustration was more a result of over-usage than actual phone design flaw.
    My mom just got a new iphone, first smart phone. Must be easy to use, she texts me all the time now.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    The future may be wireless but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.
    If you're basing your opinion off experiences from a few years ago, things have changed. If I listen to music through my ~2 year old Bluetooth ear piece, its almost impressive how bad it sounds. I believe some of this has to do with the bluetooth profile used, and what compression algorithms are available. Audiophiles will almost certainly find a problem with any of it (because of course they will ), and that's why this should be a deciding factor for them. For the average consumer who listens to music regularly with a basic car stereo, an inexpensive pair of headphones, entry level home theater setup, or from their laptop speakers, it won't be a problem. That might even paint the expectations too low. I think it's at the point where most general consumers aren't going to mind. Considering Apple has a fairly decent history with decent consumer-grade listening experience, I suspect they felt this way too.

I don't like the removal of options. I still use a pair of wired cans every day. This might have been a premature or forceful move. I just don't think it's as bad as many expect.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I believe some of this has to do with the bluetooth profile used, and what compression algorithms are available.
    A2DP which is the base standard everyone uses doesn't sound good at all. It may be perfectly fine for the MP3 crowd that thinks Beats headphones sound great but its limitations are readily apparent with quality equipment. aptX is a huge improvement over A2DP and even has lossless variants. Headphones that support aptX are obviously more expensive and quality headphones that support it are more expensive yet. The iPhone 7 curiously doesn't support the aptX profile where in the case of Samsung Galaxy phones, the past 5 generations have. Forcing people to wireless and not even providing a quality interface is a sorry mistake.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

If you're basing your opinion off experiences from a few years ago, things have changed. If I listen to music through my ~2 year old Bluetooth ear piece, its almost impressive how bad it sounds. I believe some of this has to do with the bluetooth profile used, and what compression algorithms are available. Audiophiles will almost certainly find a problem with any of it (because of course they will ), and that's why this should be a deciding factor for them. For the average consumer who listens to music regularly with a basic car stereo, an inexpensive pair of headphones, entry level home theater setup, or from their laptop speakers, it won't be a problem. That might even paint the expectations too low. I think it's at the point where most general consumers aren't going to mind. Considering Apple has a fairly decent history with decent consumer-grade listening experience, I suspect they felt this way too.

I don't like the removal of options. I still use a pair of wired cans every day. This might have been a premature or forceful move. I just don't think it's as bad as many expect.
    I am by no means an audiophile but my ears tell me there is a notable reduction in quality and I rather enjoy excellent sound quality as a result of my love for music. There is an issue that is audible to me and I'm not one to set the time aside to worry about it.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

It's certainly controversial. Maybe a little ahead of it's time. But the future is wireless. Bluetooth earpieces have worked great for years now, and the bluetooth headphone market is exploding. Many people are connecting their phone via bluetooth to their car, and to their home theater systems with bluetooth capability. It's a decision that will definitely alienate both curmudgeons and those who have a strong need for a jack. Like maybe connecting a pair of high end wired headphones. For those few who need the jack and an iPhone, the lightning adapter is the bandaid.
    maybe thats my issue...i dont like that apple has made the decision for me to go wireless. do i hate untangling them? yup. do i hate that ear buds dont stay in my ears for more than 15min while cutting the grass/snowblowing driveway? yup. doesnt necessarily mean i want to drop $$ on headphones. maybe if the iphone CAME with BT headphones that would be a different story.
    the kicker to my complaint is that i dont even use my phone for music. i have so much i dont want to bog down my phone or use up storage/data to listen to it. i just use an ipod.
    bottom line...my complaint isnt a complaint, just an observation of what i perceive to be a flaw.
    like i said, i admire the ease of use, i just dont like them...or paying for apps (maybe thats changed too idk)

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Since when android apps are free?

Since as far back as I can recall.

Can't speak for others but I've shelled out exactly zero dollars in my years as an Android user.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Since when android apps are free?
    Since I have a buddy who knows how to get a hold of modified apps that provide free services lol.

Can't speak for others but I've shelled out exactly zero dollars in my years as an Android user.
    That's weird. I see a very big selection in the android NOT free marketplace.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    A2DP which is the base standard everyone uses doesn't sound good at all. It may be perfectly fine for the MP3 crowd that thinks Beats headphones sound great but its limitations are readily apparent with quality equipment. aptX is a huge improvement over A2DP and even has lossless variants. Headphones that support aptX are obviously more expensive and quality headphones that support it are more expensive yet. The iPhone 7 curiously doesn't support the aptX profile where in the case of Samsung Galaxy phones, the past 5 generations have. Forcing people to wireless and not even providing a quality interface is a sorry mistake.
    Fine for the people who think MP3 and Beats sound great? That sounds like 'fine for most consumers' to me...

I just looked this up, but A2DP supports MP3 and AAC codecs and a high bitrate codec developed for bluetooth called SBC. I wish I had the ability to do more comparisons, but for mobile music I just don't hear the issue. It kinda feels a bit like tech-snobbery. Everyone's been listening to compressed audio on their classic iPod through earbuds and $20 Sony headphones. Now they listen to Spotify, Pandora, and YouTube. There isn't a lot of complaints about sound quality. The difference is there, but for many, it's good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i admire the ease of use, i just dont like them...or paying for apps (maybe thats changed too idk)

I've never paid a dollar for any apps with my iPhone, and they're all legitimate. I just use free ones. There's lots of free stuff. And there are some that cost money. The same as Android. Pretty sure both have always been that way.

nedirtriders.com

I just looked this up, but A2DP supports MP3 and AAC codecs and a high bitrate codec developed for bluetooth called SBC.
    SBC is the mandatory codec for A2DP and it was never designed for high quality audio. A2DP can carry optional codecs like MP3, AAC, aptX, Ogg Vorbis, etc., as well, however, they must be supported by both the transmitter and receiver in order to make use of them. All these codecs are lossy but there are big differences between how they compress data. Should a receiving device (headphones, speaker, etc.) not support the same optional codec, they both revert to SBC so you end up with a lossy transcoding of what's probably a lossy source to begin with and you end up with noticeably degraded sound.

Things are better if your source is AAC and your receiver can accept AAC which is likely the more prevalent case if you use all modern Apple branded products (I don't think many peripheral devices support MP3 directly). So long as your source file has a lower bandwidth than what's available from the radio in your phone, you should get a reasonable reproduction of it. In lots of cases, your source material will have higher bandwidth demands than what's available from the radio and it will need to be transcoded again resulting in degraded quality.

Where aptX is different has to do with the way it encodes audio. MP3, AAC, and the like are processed in the frequency domain and strip out sounds that have been identified as not being audible to a human based on models of how people hear (psychoacoustic auditory masking) and that tends to produce audible artifacts especially as bit rates go down. aptX doesn't use a psychoacoustic model and its time domain ADPCM encoding is more space efficient for a given audio quality. This means that even though you have to transcode a high quality audio file into aptX before transmission, the source doesn't have to go through an additional psychoacoustic conversion which results in a new layer of artifacts and you end up with the most bandwidth efficient encoding allowing for the best sound quality possible over the A2DP profile and Bluetooth's limited bandwidth.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch but the differences can be drastic.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I've never paid for apps on either platform. But then I'm a tightwad.

- - - Updated - - -

I should buy/pay for the live timing app. Although that would probably just make me want to race or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast