Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sirius connection problems?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

I'm a little pissed off right now. Yesterday I installed the Sirius antenna on my car following the directions of the Sirius website. Only instead of passing it thru the floor inside the car, I rooted it above the door panels, all the way back to the front of the car. Yes, it is positioned 3 inches from the edge of the back window, centered in the middle.

I went online after that, subscribe to the service and then tried to connect with the antenna in my house (I have both kits for the house, and the car). It's not working. I looked up with my zip code to find the best frequencies in my area to tune my Sirius radio on, still not working. I moved the antenna around, it's not picking up much of anything. Same thing in my car, not picking up a signal whatsoever. This was my husband's unit, it was working perfectly fine while he used it. I have both the antenna for the car, and for the house. I had the FM antenna plugged in the unit also. I have the Sportster model (it's in the car, not sure what exact model I'd have to check again)

So...What-the-fuck-is-wrong??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Lifer

If you're working off an FM modulator then there's too much interference overpowering the signal. It's common in cities. I couldn't get anything but static within 25 miles of boston. Call sirius and tell them the problem they will send you a direct adaption kit and a gift card for a free install.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

But I'm in Southwick, a small farming community near some small mountains, I was thinking not much interference around? City of Springfield is about 15-20 minutes away. I will give them a call for sure tho and ask them about that. Thanks.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

If you get it to work you gotta check out the Jason Ellis show on faction channel 28 it starts at 3:00pm. the show is the funniest shit on the air. Sirius rocks!

Rob Ruggiero
    lrrs ex#828 (retired)
    www.speeddemoncycles.net

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Demon 828 View Post
    If you get it to work you gotta check out the Jason Ellis show on faction channel 28 it starts at 3:00pm. the show is the funniest shit on the air. Sirius rocks!
    +1
    sha boy young Ellis.

Not everyone's type of humor but definatly mine.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    If you're working off an FM modulator then there's too much interference overpowering the signal. It's common in cities. I couldn't get anything but static within 25 miles of boston. Call sirius and tell them the problem they will send you a direct adaption kit and a gift card for a free install.
    Ditto. I did the same thing with my new XM radio. The old one worked fine, but the new ones use less power and I could get anything but static. FCC decided thay had to reduce the power or something. Anyhoo, the direct adapter for $50 and easy install fixed it right up. better than ever now.

derek

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Ok, I haven't called Sirius yet because I have a freakin pig head and I wanted to try to solve the problem myself. So far, I can say I got some reception today, in my car, in a certain area of a neighboring town. Nothing good enough to hold a song for the whole duration of it, but seconds here and there. Then poof, nothing. Now, there is something really strange happening when I bring it inside my home and put it on the home connector:

The sound system is on, for exemple on 107.5 and my Sirius unit frequency is also on 107.5. I have the FM antenna plugged in my unit, but no FM antenna plugged into my sound system (therefor I only get about 2 radio stations). If I hold the whole unit and base in my right hand, and touch the FM antenna of the Sirius unit with my LEFT hand, I get awsome reception (heck even if it touch my left ear, or any area of my body, BUT my right hand). If I let go of the FM antenna, or if I try to hold it in my right hand, I loose everything. I get better reception specially if I stand up rather than sitting. Explain that to me you smart geeks on here.

Am I right when I tell my husband that we need to get an antenna plugged in the sound system of the home to finally be able to get reception from the Sirius? He says it doesn't make a difference and we don't need it?!

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    he sound system is on, for exemple on 107.5 and my Sirius unit frequency is also on 107.5. I have the FM antenna plugged in my unit, but no FM antenna plugged into my sound system (therefor I only get about 2 radio stations). If I hold the whole unit and base in my right hand, and touch the FM antenna of the Sirius unit with my LEFT hand, I get awsome reception (heck even if it touch my left ear, or any area of my body, BUT my right hand). If I let go of the FM antenna, or if I try to hold it in my right hand, I loose everything. I get better reception specially if I stand up rather than sitting. Explain that to me you smart geeks on here.

Am I right when I tell my husband that we need to get an antenna plugged in the sound system of the home to finally be able to get reception from the Sirius? He says it doesn't make a difference and we don't need it?!

Blah blah wavelengths and multiples thereof (5/8 etc.).blah blah Db gain, blah blah attenuation...blah blah SWR etc etc etc. As you move around and switch hands, you're adjusting the length of the sending and receiving antenna (you) and if you get to a multiple or fraction of a 107.5 wavelength, you get a slightly better reception.

...and yes, you'll need an FM antenna to get really good reception on the home stereo system.

OXX

Ok then, how do I make it work using something else than my body? lol

Dic on

rabbit ears, coathanger, length of wire (speaker wire or something) etc etc.

OXX

do you have an auxiliary input on your home "System"? if so go to radio shack and get a mini plug (headphone) to rca adapter for $5 and just direct wire it, you will get better sound quality and won't have to worry about the radio transmitter.

We had a Sportster, utilizing the FM modulator. It sucked. They sent us a replacement. It sucked harder. Even if you do get a decent frequency selected, chances are the signal-to-noise ratio will vary as you drive around, causing the Sportster to spew its own noise again. We've got a Stiletto wired directly via AUX input to the head unit now. Much better, but still too many damned wires dangling. A Kenwood DNX7100 will be replacing the whole deal sooon.

re: home receiver FM reception
    It DOES require a lead connected to it -- a length of speaker wire will probably work well enough.