Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

skeet

skeet

thinking of adding skeet shooting capability to my range, but it is something I have never done nor watched other than on film. But, I would like to practice bird shooting skills

I would only get a cheap $30 thrower

How much of a cleared lane, width/height do I need, not sure I can make it work or not

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Re: skeet

Is there a place nearby you can go and try it or see it done? The closest thing to what you're talking about will probably be trap. That is a game where the clays go out in front of you at a similar height arc but at random angles. Think of a protractor. You'll get a better idea of what you need for space. It's not a ton but obviously with shooting guns into the air at a moving target you want to be as safe as possible. Most of the distance seems to be within 25 yards.

1 Not allowed!
    James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Is there a place nearby you can go and try it or see it done?
    He knows a guy that has 20+ acres of woods just around the corner from him.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Most ranges that shoot clays would be happy to welcome you in and show you some of the ropes. Many have designated non-member shooting days/times.

Ideally, see if you can go shoot a round of sporting clays somewhere. Of all of the shotgun disciplines it has the most variety. It typically consists of 15 or so different stations with 2 to sometimes 4 targets per station with an emphasis on variety. It's also almost always shot in the woods, so it should give you the most relevant ideas. It's also the most fun.

Any of the disciplines will give you a feel for the speeds/distances, though.

Limit yourself to target loads and you can reduce backstop concerns a bit. 1oz of #9 shot doesn't go very far and is enough to get the job done on almost all targets.

1 Not allowed!

It's a hell of a lot of fun. You can have tons of fun with a case of clays and a buddy or two with a hand chucker. You can have a ton of fun going to a built out skeet facility with all the bells and whistles. No matter how you do it, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My cousins and a few friends shoot skeet at my house a few times a year, they use a small gravel bank that's about 125' radius. There isn't a house within 1/4 mile as well. They said the size is perfect for skeet shooting.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    My cousins and a few friends shoot skeet at my house a few times a year, they use a small gravel bank that's about 125' radius. There isn't a house within 1/4 mile as well. They said the size is perfect for skeet shooting.
    When is the party?

0 Not allowed!
    James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

When is the party?

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

When is the party?
    And should I bring a couple pounds of tannerite?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Most ranges that shoot clays would be happy to welcome you in and show you some of the ropes. Many have designated non-member shooting days/times.

Ideally, see if you can go shoot a round of sporting clays somewhere. Of all of the shotgun disciplines it has the most variety. It typically consists of 15 or so different stations with 2 to sometimes 4 targets per station with an emphasis on variety. It's also almost always shot in the woods, so it should give you the most relevant ideas. It's also the most fun.

Any of the disciplines will give you a feel for the speeds/distances, though.

Limit yourself to target loads and you can reduce backstop concerns a bit. 1oz of #9 shot doesn't go very far and is enough to get the job done on almost all targets.
    not trying to make any competition or regulation rage, it will have 1 station, period and fly clays in one direction, I'm just trying to get some shotgun practice, on a rifle range in the woods.

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    He knows a guy that has 20+ acres of woods just around the corner from him.
    your landing might be where I have to practice,

you've been on my range, but I have opened it up quite a bit since, I have my stands of bullseye targets, and one vertical stand for silhouette targets. plan on scattering some gongs in the woods, plenty of rifle and handgun shooting opportunities, but nothing for shotgun really, other than slugs

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

When is the party?
    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    And should I bring a couple pounds of tannerite?
    You guys are more than welcomed to come shoot. Tannerite is a no go tho. Trust me, my cousins tried and all hell broke loose with the neighboring gun club. My property abuts a gun club, and they end up taking all the blame for noise made by other neighbors, including the tannerite experiments my cousins shot at.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    your landing might be where I have to practice,

you've been on my range, but I have opened it up quite a bit since, I have my stands of bullseye targets, and one vertical stand for silhouette targets. plan on scattering some gongs in the woods, plenty of rifle and handgun shooting opportunities, but nothing for shotgun really, other than slugs
    Did you make the stands yourself? Can you post pictures?

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

You guys are more than welcomed to come shoot. Tannerite is a no go tho. Trust me, my cousins tried and all hell broke loose with the neighboring gun club. My property abuts a gun club, and they end up taking all the blame for noise made by other neighbors, including the tannerite experiments my cousins shot at.
    Yeah, I had to tone it down too after... the incident...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Did you make the stands yourself? Can you post pictures?
    made from 1" sch#40 PVC. PT 1"x2" and Coroplast

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

PVC is not glued, occasionally I have to replace parts, usually a cross brace gets blasted, if you look closely at the pic, you can a chip out of the upper crossbrace, didn't do it by missing, this is 75 yard targed, and it was behid the 50 yard target I was shooting at, one of the reasons I widened my shooting lane, so I can offset the targets instead of stacking em behind each other

Coroplast is screwed to the PT 1x2s that slide inside the 1 pvc

I scotch tape the paper targets to the Coroplast, so far, I haven't had to replace any Coroplast yet, but my silhouette stand is getting close, a 3x6 sheet of Coroplast is $18 @ Home depot, you can cut 3 2x3 target backers

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    PVC is not glued, occasionally I have to replace parts, usually a cross brace gets blasted, if you look closely at the pic, you can a chip out of the upper crossbrace, didn't do it by missing, this is 75 yard targed, and it was behid the 50 yard target I was shooting at, one of the reasons I widened my shooting lane, so I can offset the targets instead of stacking em behind each other

Coroplast is screwed to the PT 1x2s that slide inside the 1 pvc

I scotch tape the paper targets to the Coroplast, so far, I haven't had to replace any Coroplast yet, but my silhouette stand is getting close, a 3x6 sheet of Coroplast is $18 @ Home depot, you can cut 3 2x3 target backers
    Great, thanks Randy! Did you fill the legs/base of the PVC with ballast to stop it blowing away?

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Great, thanks Randy! Did you fill the legs/base of the PVC with ballast to stop it blowing away?
    no, cause I don't have endcaps on the base pieces, I do put the stones you see near the base, against the base to hold it down, don't get a whole lot of wind though , the range is sheltered with forest and with winter coming on, I plan on not leaving em out to get frozen to the ground

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Yeah, I had to tone it down too after... the incident...

We had the entire fire & police force show up a couple years ago at a buddy's house. He & the neighbor got into it and he wanted to stir shit up. About midnight one night we lit of about FIVE pounds at the edge of his field, closest to his buddy's house (the house was still a good 700+ feet away). A few minutes later we hear the sirens and start laughing. A few minutes after that, the cavalry arrived and didn't stop pouring in for quite a while. We had the fire dep't. & rescue show up, every cop that was on duty, and just about every volunteer in town show up. Good fuckin' times!

Sorry Randy. Hijack over...maybe...

3 Not allowed!

Sorry Randy. Hijack over...maybe...
    sorry I missed that one, but I do remember a R1 ? bouncing off the rev limiter on the burnout board at 2am, and Half Squid answering the door when the cops showed up

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560