Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ski/ride 19/20

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

ski/ride 19/20

hitting cannon this sunday for opening weekend. this probably the earliest ive ever been ouit. usually i dont hit the hill until just before christmas.
    i picked a few new pieces of gear so im ready to try them out.

i picked up a threedom pass from sunday river also so ill be looking to do some days up there. ive usually got Sun and a few Wed off.

may be taking the midget out for a few runs this year and see how he likes it.

3 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 KTM 690SM /03 KTM 300EXC
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Re: ski/ride 19/20

Friends just bought a ski condo near Wildcat area. I'm sure to actually get some skiing in this year after a 3 year hiatus.

1 Not allowed!

I've got 4 days in at Killington so far, including first chair on day 1. Was there today as well but it was a sloppy mix so I said f it and went home. Oxx tell me when you head to SR. My girlfriend bought a place 12 minutes from southridge so I'll be getting in my 5 Ikon days + this season. As always if you head to Killington, let me know!

2 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

I'm 2 days in. Was maybe looking at Killington tomorrow, but not sure. Canon and Loon are a bit closer if it's snowing. Hmmmm...
    I think most spots took a beating with this rain, yeah?

NHSP was all over I93 today, fyi.

0 Not allowed!

Yeah they'll start showing up soon in force. I89 and fucking Rte 4 as well. I just trust the waze and keep my eyes up. I'm not even looking at the forecast. Won't be back up till the day after Thanksgiving and staying till the following Wed.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex

I got a instructing job at Snowbasin. My first year part time. Too many years being full time. Fridays Saturdays Sundays and vacation weeks. I also got a season pass at Powder Mountain for my days off. I got a luxury apartment in Ogden for 6 months. $1000 per month. If this place was in Boston it would be 5K. Right now I am doing the Big 5 National Parks in Utah. Today is the All-American National Byway. The roads out here are made for motorcycles. Curvy with elevation changes with very nice pavement. And unpaved roads galore for the adventure bike crowd. Amazing place. Friendly people.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rambunctous; 11-24-19 at 10:29 AM.
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Last Sunday at Mt. Snow was the best, early skiing I've done in many, many years. The north peak was open too, with the liftline and one other trail open. Somewhat less than epic lift lines at the main lift, but a great start to the season.

This past year I started a job 10 minutes from Sunapee so with a bit of a schedule change I ought to get in a shit-ton of shorter, first tracks weekdays. The Epic Local pass isn't dirt cheap but it's pretty f-ing fantastic this year with all the mountains included (WILDCAT!!) since that Vail acquisition went through. I don't know why, but they quit selling them today?

0 Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

cannon was damp. snow was decent but visibility was less than ideal. rained all day from about mid mountain down. snow on top until about 2 and then that changed to rain too.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 KTM 690SM /03 KTM 300EXC
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I basically took the past few years off as I focused more on riding my bicycle than snowboarding. With my move, its now less bikes and more other things, so we just bought Ikon passes. I debated Ikon vs Epic, but I'm back east enough that the resorts on Ikon are better. The Jackson/Big Sky tickets on Ikon are great for a trip to visit Marco, and Mammoth is drive-able from the bay area.

Also refreshing a lot of my gear. If anyone is interested in used splitboard and touring stuff, let me know. I have 2 well used setups that I'd be selling for well used prices.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Did a few laps at Sunapee at lunchtime today. Only one blue trail open. Good coverage...mashed potatoes .

1 Not allowed!

Gonna try to get out on Friday. Looking like all this wet stuff is gonna freeze tomorrow night.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bassomatic View Post
    Last Sunday at Mt. Snow was the best, early skiing I've done in many, many years. The north peak was open too, with the liftline and one other trail open. Somewhat less than epic lift lines at the main lift, but a great start to the season.

This past year I started a job 10 minutes from Sunapee so with a bit of a schedule change I ought to get in a shit-ton of shorter, first tracks weekdays. The Epic Local pass isn't dirt cheap but it's pretty f-ing fantastic this year with all the mountains included (WILDCAT!!) since that Vail acquisition went through. I don't know why, but they quit selling them today?
    Daughter went to Mt. Snow Monday, they had a great day.

She goes to school in Colorado Springs, already had four days out there at Snowmass. Thought it was a “small” mountain: they ski 4,406’ vertical! Longest run is over 5 miles.

Gotta check on what is and isn’t included with my Epic pass, think zip have to upgrade to ski out west.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 11-27-19 at 05:52 PM.

Snowmass is awesome. It's a Aspen resort I believe. (Snowbasin got 2 feet last night and more is coming tomorrow and Friday)

0 Not allowed!
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Snowbowl in Flagstaff is predicting 3-4 feet of low density snow over the weekend. Iím in no rush to get into the cold weather, but thinking about heading up to ride one day after the storm. Itís hard to motivate when itís still 70 degrees here in the valley.
    My son is going to NAU up there next year so Iíll probably see a lot of that mountain over the next four years.

0 Not allowed!

Used Ikon pass at Loon Friday and toured 3 laps of cannon yesterday. Loon was pretty terrible. Cannon was actually in pretty good shape until the last run, but it was really only one section had hardened up drastically and it was 3:30.

Back to the west coast tomorrow, then flying to Switzerland Friday for 11 days for work - will have resort board and splitboard in tow. Ridden a lot of bikes in Europe, never skied

1 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

You’ll enjoy it, people from all over the world. I prefer Austria but Switzerland is fun.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    You’ll enjoy it, people from all over the world. I prefer Austria but Switzerland is fun.
    I’ll go where the snow is, I honestly haven’t done much research yet, but it’s either gonna be Austria or Switzerland since I’m flying from Zurich.

0 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Here's a random one. Does anyone do any backcountry in these parts? I've been studying some terrain maps and doing some research and it looks like there are places to be ripped in VT,NH and ME. Are there any resources that are worth checking out? I'd love to pick an experienced hand's brain and maybe tag along as well if possible. Beers on me of course.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Here's a random one. Does anyone do any backcountry in these parts? I've been studying some terrain maps and doing some research and it looks like there are places to be ripped in VT,NH and ME. Are there any resources that are worth checking out? I'd love to pick an experienced hand's brain and maybe tag along as well if possible. Beers on me of course.
    Yes, plenty.

This book is an excellent starter (just don't ski Garfield): https://www.amazon.com/Best-Backcoun...s%2C208&sr=8-1

The GBA has been doing a tone of work cutting trails in the summer. I skied a few of them over the years and they're pretty good!

http://granitebackcountryalliance.org/

We were usually riding from Franconia so have hit most stuff in the whites and have ventured out to VT slightly less. The old CCC ski trails are the easiest intro in New England. Don't let the popularity of Tuck's fool you into thinking its easy or safe. It is the most intimidating piece of skiing in New England and also the most dangerous.

1 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

People think Tucks is safe?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Yes, plenty.

This book is an excellent starter (just don't ski Garfield): https://www.amazon.com/Best-Backcoun...s%2C208&sr=8-1

The GBA has been doing a tone of work cutting trails in the summer. I skied a few of them over the years and they're pretty good!

http://granitebackcountryalliance.org/

We were usually riding from Franconia so have hit most stuff in the whites and have ventured out to VT slightly less. The old CCC ski trails are the easiest intro in New England. Don't let the popularity of Tuck's fool you into thinking its easy or safe. It is the most intimidating piece of skiing in New England and also the most dangerous.
    Awesome info. Is this stuff doable with snowshoes or do I specifically need a splitboard setup?

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Great week up at Killington. Thanksgiving, world cup, fresh snow, skinned Pico for an untouched pow day and ripped the leftovers today. Great opening month!

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    People think Tucks is safe?
    Because its so well known it draws a big, inexperienced crowd. A lot of people I talk to think they can just go send it. There isn't anything quite like your first time boot-packing up left gully. That might have been the first time I felt fear on a snowboard, despite a decent bit of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Awesome info. Is this stuff doable with snowshoes or do I specifically need a splitboard setup?
    Snowshoes work great, then you can ride a normal board down. Snowshoes are just slow by comparison.

0 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Because its so well known it draws a big, inexperienced crowd.
    Back in my late teens when I was in much better shape, I fit this criteria. Myself and a couple of friends decided to see what it was all about and I completely underestimated the terrain making for a much more miserable hike than it could have been. At the time I wasn't aware of skinning or other back country techniques so I hiked in regular hiking boots with spikes and changed into my ski boots at the top of each run. We had zero avalanch gear or any real back country equipment. Fortunately the weather was about as perfect as it could be. The only smart thing I did was bring handwarmers to keep in my ski boots while hiking.

That said, I got 2 runs in on The Chute and The Sluice before we headed back to the parking lot. I was exhausted by the time I got back but what an awesome time we had. I regret having never been back as I really wanted to ski Hillman's Highway.

On the nuttier side of things, after we finished a run there was a guy on an inner tube bombing down the area between The Lip and The Sluice.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Because its so well known it draws a big, inexperienced crowd. A lot of people I talk to think they can just go send it. There isn't anything quite like your first time boot-packing up left gully. That might have been the first time I felt fear on a snowboard, despite a decent bit of experience.//.
    First time I went it was Spring, and foggy, and absolutely terrifying. You’d see what looked like an outcropping up ahead, slow down, and a couple of others would appear out of the fog, going like hell but in different directions. One of the gals with us hurt her back, and we had to carry down her gear and assist her. Took forever.

Second time weather was nice. Now I’m too old for that shit, I stick to places that convey me up the hill....

1 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast