Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ski/ride 19/20

Re: ski/ride 19/20

Bailed from work at noon today with a co-worker and 20 minutes later we were doing laps at Sunapee. They'd opened a couple more trails. It snowed most of the afternoon, conditions were good and the place empty. Thought I caught one kid crashing but got two back to back.

1 Not allowed!

Ran a little at Loon today. It was in pretty good shape. Little disorganized, though. I saw two 40-something jabronis almost come to blows in the lift line. Hilarious.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricky Mike; 12-09-19 at 10:13 AM.

Forecast here in Utah is calling for 20"... Here is my take on Northern Utah... .... .. Snowbasin: Luxurious lodges and food. Good terrain. The lift system is awesome. Chandeliers. Paved parking lots. Pay to store bags. Crowds. $$$$$ Stowe like... .. ..Powder Mountain.: Great expansive terrain. More than a ski area, a culture. Slow lifts. Often I am the only one on a lift. Powder Keg Pub has lots of bands. They dance on tables. Great soups and pizza. The road up the mountain is often 4WD. Down is SCARY. 16% grade. Hooks on the walls for boot bags. $$. Mad River like.
    I think both places beat the two canyons and Park City though. The ski buses are fantastic. Very cheap to stay in Ogden. Don't miss the Shooting Star Saloon for burgers.

0 Not allowed!
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

I wondered how Powder was doing. I started going there in 2012, it was right around when the current ownership bought the mountain. I think 2015 was the last year I was there, the new...culture...was amping up then. Basically the ownership is like an entrepreneur incubator, and the purpose of buying the mountain was to establish a home base for their efforts. I’ll try and find an article on it I read a while ago, it borders on cool and cult-like. I have distant family (uncle’s wife’s nephew lol) who works there, his title was Director of Ambiance if that tells you anything.

Anyway, I loved going to the mountain. We always stayed in the condos up top which was great if a storm shut down the road, not that crowding and lift lines were ever really a problem there. Exploring was a big part of the fun there for me. With a bit of hiking there’s literally an infinite number of lines through the trees. The glades skiing there is the best I’ve ever seen.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 01-01-20 at 07:51 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Flying to Salt Lake City on Friday night. Doesn't look like it'll be dumping while I'm there. Staying in Sandy, so was hoping for a powder day at Snowbird, but doesn't look likely.

Open to informed suggestions.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Open to informed suggestions.
    Powder Mountain

You can get powder tracks there a week or more after snow, bit of a hike from Sandy though.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Solitude and Brighton gets less people. Alta gets more than Solitude and Brighton but less than Snowbird. Saturday can be the worse. Maybe Sundance on Saturday? I never been to Sundance but it looks very scenic.

0 Not allowed!
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Thanks. We’re thinking Brighton on Saturday. Maybe Snowbird on Monday/Tuesday.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Thanks. We’re thinking Brighton on Saturday. Maybe Snowbird on Monday/Tuesday.
    If you do want to try Snowbasin I am employed there and got some 1/2 price vouchers. If you never been to Utah you are going to be impressed. Enjoy

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Powder Mountain

You can get powder tracks there a week or more after snow, bit of a hike from Sandy though.

0 Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

hitting up the river sunday. should be good.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Missing this one due to work but back at Kton thurs-sat.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Back skiing after about a 9 year layoff.

Three days in up at Shawnee Peak and really liking it.

I ski like I ride motorcycles now, I’m in no hurry, just enjoying the fresh air and having fun

2 Not allowed!

Nothing wrong with just getting outside. If you don't find joy in snow you'll have less joy and the same amount of snow.

Headed back to Kton Thurs-Sat, then the river next week, weekend off for the holiday weekend, then back to the river, then back to kton for a 6/7 days. January is shaping up to be fun. March even better: Jackson-Copper-Aspen-Telluride-Silverton.

1 Not allowed!
    -Alex

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

river was boiler plate last week with half the mountain on wind hold. then around 2 they shut down barker.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

whats good in the white mountains right now? heading up next weekend and want to hit the best place.

0 Not allowed!

Best day of the season today at Sunapee. Skied for three hours straight in 30°, no wind, mostly sunny skies on packed powder.

4-8” forecast for tonight and morning so I’m planning to go again tomorrow.

0 Not allowed!

Hope they got it. We need more damn snow!

River this weekend for me then Kton for a week then out west for over 2 weeks. Not to mention the girlfriend got me a trip to Chile in August for my bday. Shaping up to be a good year, just not here.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex

Only got 3-4” but it was heavy so good base-builder. So foggy at the top only made a few runs.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Only got 3-4” but it was heavy so good base-builder. So foggy at the top only made a few runs.
    I was there Wed. from first chair until 1. Perfect, fast, sunny. Middle of Feb and no glades yet. Zero. wtf?

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12