Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Ski/Snowboard 2016/2017

Re: Ski/Snowboard 2016/2017

Day 2 @ Attitash. More crowds but better conditions. I ate it twice; once I twisted out of my binding in some really heavy slop, the second was when I was paying attention to a shapely pair of ski pants and not to where I was going. Good times.

My hosts' wee one started skiing this year @ almost 4 years old. Seriously cute stuff. The gear is adorable.

Staying for 1 more. Probably attitash again tomorrow. Gonna be good.

We're not seeing reports of insane winds. We're seeing 15-20, gusts to 30 locally.

We'll probably stay to Attitash as we like it better and I think the place does a better job dispersing crowds.

Oh. Anyone heard of Amalgam skis? Demo'ed a pair of their Artifact skis today. They were much, much wider than I am used to but I liked them a lot. Super comfortable ski. Easy and fun to turn. 19m radius compared to the 20m of my old K2s. But so much wider. A pretty playful ski. Way fun.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Day 2 @ Attitash. More crowds but better conditions. I ate it twice; once I twisted out of my binding in some really heavy slop, the second was when I was paying attention to a shapely pair of ski pants and not to where I was going. Good times.

My hosts' wee one started skiing this year @ almost 4 years old. Seriously cute stuff. The gear is adorable.

We're not seeing reports of insane winds. We're seeing 15-20, gusts to 30 locally.

We'll probably stay to Attitash as we like it better and I think the place does a better job dispersing crowds.

Oh. Anyone heard of Amalgam skis? Demo'ed a pair of their Artifact skis today. They were much, much wider than I am used to but I liked them a lot. Super comfortable ski. Easy and fun to turn. 19m radius compared to the 20m of my old K2s. But so much wider. A pretty playful ski. Way fun.
    Thanks dude

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

good thing you avoided wildcat. i heard they lost power and people were stranded on the lift for a while

i hit gunstock again. they got 12" and i got 3rd chair. they groomed out 99% of it (fortunate/unfortunate). i made it to the glades just after they dropped the rope. i got 2 runs through there before the kids fucked it all up.
    side note: why the fuck do parents do this? why send your 6 year old down a glade trail with a foot of fresh snow when they are still using the snow plow method to control themselves? youre fucking it up for everyone else who knows how to ski that stuff.

back on topic. i ducked a couple ropes and poached some closed trails (that couldve been open IMO).
    busy. very busy. ive never seen so many people. i got pissed when i saw 1 or 2 people on a chairlift that holds 4. wtf? whos directing traffic? oh! no one.
    lift ticket lines were reminiscent of pre storm grocery stores. it was insane. 2 lines easly 50 yards long...at 11.
    i called it at 11. i may or may not have sold my ticket to someone in one of those stupid lines.

home by noon to spend 2 hours removing 16" of snow from my driveway.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Fantastic today at Sunapee. Heard there were crazy lines the day after the snow but we are only waiting about a dozen people. Skiing with my inexhaustible 17yo daughter so I'll be done by 2....

Last edited by Garandman; 01-01-17 at 01:27 PM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

You can make it to 2? Lol...
    Im a failure.. I might make it to 2 if the conditions are smooth..

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    good thing you avoided wildcat. i heard they lost power and people were stranded on the lift for a while
    That sounds like it sucks.

I heard that most of this snowfall blew right off wildcat. Hearsay was that they opened the main quad but much of the top was "unskiable" and complete crap; lots of bare.

Day 3 at attitash for us was Friday. It was both awesome, and horrible. Lines were considerably longer, although not the worst I've ever seen. My favorite lift at Attitash is the main non-high-speed quad that goes to the top. This lift stopped a lot more on Friday than it did earlier in the week. Kids.. and noobs. Also a lot more people on the trail; tough to find open space to make a turn on the wide cruisers. Then not a sole around on the harder stuff. And the damned beginner snowboarders SCRAPING the entire face of a headwall CLEAN in one shot.

Snow conditions were great, but unlike anything we normally ski. My friend and I are usually the faster of the bunch and her husband lags behind. But she and I struggled in this stuff while he found his grove. I just suck at deep powder and bump skiing; not enough experience. The only time I've ever seen conditions like that was out west.

They claimed they got 20" and I believe it. They left much of the place ungroomed, including a bunch of trails opened just that day. We hit a couple diamonds that are normally 2-3 turn drops and meh. Friday they were a real challenge, and fun. I can normally hit top-to-bottom non-stops when flying solo. My legs burn and I'm huffing a bit when I sit down on the chair, but I can do it. Not Friday. Friday required several stops on each trail. Much, much more of a challenge. Lots of people were ducking ropes and I'm betting the trails were perfectly skiable. I skied some tree runs on the Bear Peak side and was reminded at how much I suck at glade skiing.

Our condo was up and the respective dog-sitters were done after Friday. So we were not able to ski the weekend. I bet it was monumental when the groomed all that fresh stuff out.

We skied Wed - Fri, all at Atticrash. Conditions improved each day. Crowds grew each day as well. Overall it was a great break and a solid start of the season for me.

I ran into an infrequent NESR'ite in the lot Thursday afternoon. He said he and his were headed for Bretton Woods on Friday. I bet it was incredible.

Canon was fantastic before 10:30AM on Friday. The ticket line was loonie. Way too many people there. Same issue with amateurs blowing off the good stuff. Huge bumps made for some good fun on a board.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

went to gunstock yesterday. i didnt even get within sight of the access road before i was in a line of stopped cars on 11a waiting to just get on the access rd. i turned around and went home. not worth it. it wouldve been a solid hour before i got to the lodge.
    looks like this week is gonna be a wash. everyone is getting rain or freezing rain today and tonight will be cold so it should all freeze nicely . hoping for a better week next week. may do sugarbush on monday.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

First turns of the year. I too was at Cannon on Friday. I was pretty bummed to go wait in lines to park...then for tickets...then for lifts, when there are no lines in the backcountry, but my girlfriend wanted to ski with some of her cousins. I got out of my funk after a couple runs and all was well. All in all, it was a great day. We skied til almost last chair which is incredibly rare for me.

Stayed in Franconia the rest of the weekend.

Saturday morning we skinned and skied Mount Hale. That was really good. Later that night we did a moonlight skin up the Tuckerbrook trail to the top of Mittersill for New Years. Tuckerbrook skied UNBELIEVABLY well.
    Sunday we decided to try out Mount Garfield, which was a huge disaster. Trail was too narrow and not covered well enough so ski. What we expected to be a 3-4 hour day turned out to be over 6, and we basically had to hike out in the dark since we couldn't ski. Luckily, we did bring gear in case this happened so all was well.
    Monday was an epic hike up Moosilauke. Top of Moosilauke is above tree line so it is typically a shit show of wind and clouds up there. No wind, no clouds. The ski down was pretty good too. Not powder, but real soft.

I think my split board is going into retirement. I used the MTN Approach set-up all weekend and I'll say it was awesome. The extra weight on the back is leaving me pretty darn sore today, but I enjoyed the ride down much more on my standard resort board over my split board. I snapped two hinges on Garfield, but both were really my fault. Luckily they are super easy to swap out (4 threaded screws on each) and I had a couple spares.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    First turns of the year.
    Your pano was amazing!

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

These updates are awesome.. thanks dude's

I still don't get it at Sunapee. We arrived yesterday at 8:15 and top lot was almost full: they eventually filled all three. Both lodges were jammed. But we only waited a few turns all day on Sunnyside and the longest lift line on Express (the quad to the summit) was exactly 10 minutes at 1:30pm.

In other words, the parking lot is always packed, but the slopes aren't that busy. Conditions were quite good until about 2pm, and OK if you picked your spot thereafter.

Got my kids each the "Flex Pass" for $49. You get 25% off a ticket any day including holiday periods. They've skied four days so it's already more than paid for itself.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

I used the MTN Approach set-up all weekend and I'll say it was awesome.
    ive been shopping for a ski backpack for the past few days in preparation for my CO trip in a few weeks and i just looked at this set up. pretty slick. some mixed reviews on it but still quite the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    ive been shopping for a ski backpack for the past few days in preparation for my CO trip in a few weeks and i just looked at this set up. pretty slick. some mixed reviews on it but still quite the set up.
    Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Dakine Heli Pro. Black Diamond has a few slick designs as well these days. I prefer vertical carry for snowboards. If you're a skier, the A-frame seems to be preferable for long treks. For quick walks, the cross carry is the way to go. I think the Dakine will do everything for everyone. Black Diamond are mostly ski specific but should do both A-frame and cross carry.

If you want something off the beaten path, check out Arva packs. They hold a special place in my heart for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Your pano was amazing!
    Right! I was pretty satisfied with it.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 01-03-17 at 12:25 PM.

Jay your backcountry treks looked pretty awesome. I was planning on hitting tremblant but we ended up meeting with friends in Montreal and didnt make it to points farther north.

The MTN approach setup is awesome, Jay do you have the updated hinges?

Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Dakine Heli Pro. Black Diamond has a few slick designs as well these days. I prefer vertical carry for snowboards. If you're a skier, the A-frame seems to be preferable for long treks. For quick walks, the cross carry is the way to go. I think the Dakine will do everything for everyone. Black Diamond are mostly ski specific but should do both A-frame and cross carry.

If you want something off the beaten path, check out Arva packs. They hold a special place in my heart for some reason.
    i checked out the Heli. decent bag but i was thinking i may want something with a little more support like their Poacher, but thats a little more than i want to spend. been looking at Osprey, ortovox and Camelbak too. i just looked at the arva packs, but they dont seem to offer an insulated hydration route; oddly neither does North Face

Last edited by SVRACER01; 01-03-17 at 02:29 PM.

Man, both days I hit (Sunday River, and Berkshire East) were pretty empty. Never waited in a single line. Guess I lucked out. Also lucked out that I didn't go with Alex when the big dummy broke his leg.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Jay your backcountry treks looked pretty awesome. I was planning on hitting tremblant but we ended up meeting with friends in Montreal and didnt make it to points farther north.

The MTN approach setup is awesome, Jay do you have the updated hinges?
    Yeah, I just need to order them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Man, both days I hit (Sunday River, and Berkshire East) were pretty empty.
    I haven't hit Berkshire East in over a decade. How's the mountain doing?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Its def no Sunday River, and I only went cause I was meeting a friend from CT so that was the closest to both of us. But it wasn't bad for what it is.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Ski/Snowboard 2016/2017

Tremblant is fucking amazing.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Their Mountain bike park is really nice, FWIW, if you're into that kind of thing. I wasn't expecting much since it's still pretty new but was really impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Tremblant is fucking amazing.

You go to the casino? A few years ago when it first opened I was up there for a week of bx racing. Everything in the casino was in french and the tables had a minimum bet of $100. Back to the condo! Tremblant is like a sunday river without all of the stupid traversing and the village is amazing.

Ski/Snowboard 2016/2017

Lol naw we didn't. But ya, The Village was def awesome. I think we visited Le Diable like 5 times. Ski/Snowboard 2016/2017 good beer. Awesome ribs.

-Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650