Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SKI/SNOWBOARD 2018-19 PLANS?

Re: SKI/SNOWBOARD 2018-19 PLANS?

I hear you can use MPG SKI as a group name. I haven't joined but am thinking of doing it today. Let me know if you start a club and get enough to sign up.

0 Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I'm heavy (270+), aggressive, big calves and wide feet with little to no arch. My bootfitter managed to get me comfortable in a pair of Atomic Redster Pro 130s with footbeds. I've never fit in a race boot before and I love the stability and control they offer. I bought mine at the end of a bad ski season so they were heavily discounted.

Attachment 50073
    Where did you go to get fit for that? Iím assuming the redster is their race line? I wonder how a Hawx 130 would compare to a redster 130. I donít have wide feet, but I did click past 270 this summer. Do you ski the whole mountain? Or do you prefer groomers or woods?

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I worked with a guy for several hours at Ken Jones in Manchester NH. We tried out many different brands of boots but most I could over-flex to the point of the ankles bulging. He asked me to humor him and try on the Redsters. I lasted about half an hour before my feet hurt to the point I needed to take them off. He got excited at that point and his exact words were "If you can survive in them for 30 minutes, I can make them fit."

Ultimately all I needed was a set of foot beds and a pair of ultra thin Darn Tough socks to make the boots work for me. After the liners broke in the only issue I've had is a minor pressure point on my left foot outer toes which I can live with. I have the option to bring them back and throw them in the hot box to expand them a bit but I haven't felt the need to do so. In the end I got lucky that I was able to fit into a boot like this.

If they were available at the time, I would have been looking at the Hawx Maga 130s.

I do ski the whole mountain but I tend to prefer very high speed runs on frontside trails. The Redsters have been great for that. In the woods, I've found the ski makes more of a difference than the boot. Other than being angled slightly more forward than I would like for off-piste runs, the Atomics have treated me just fine.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I've been in "performance" boots since I was in my teens. I remember trying on "rec" boots and being able to flex my knee damned near to the ground.
    I had some Solomon near-race boot for forever. Obnoxious purple. Loved 'em.
    Couple years ago I got refused a rental because the heel plates were worn out. Guy insisted they weren't safe to ski in. I shopped a local shop and the sales cat said he hears this complaint a lot from larger humans. Pointed me at a pair of Dalbello Panterra 120's. They were comfortable enough. Fit well. Didn't flex obscenely. Were priced within the realm of what I expected to spend and were obnoxious day-glo yellow. I bought them without even trying any other boot on. I love them. As good or better than the boots they replaced.

I wouldn't mind getting out for a day or two. Not sure it'll happen with the family responsibilities being what they are. We'll see. I'm not hell bent on getting a certain day-count or anything.

0 Not allowed!

I do want to intro the kiddo to skiing. I'm thinking some cheap plastic skis at the local sled hill. Not sure I have anything in the yard that'll do.
    I do now regret parting ways with my x-country setup. But then as I remember everything x-country is pennies to the dollar compared to down-hill.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I worked with a guy for several hours at Ken Jones in Manchester NH. We tried out many different brands of boots but most I could over-flex to the point of the ankles bulging. He asked me to humor him and try on the Redsters. I lasted about half an hour before my feet hurt to the point I needed to take them off. He got excited at that point and his exact words were "If you can survive in them for 30 minutes, I can make them fit."

Ultimately all I needed was a set of foot beds and a pair of ultra thin Darn Tough socks to make the boots work for me. After the liners broke in the only issue I've had is a minor pressure point on my left foot outer toes which I can live with. I have the option to bring them back and throw them in the hot box to expand them a bit but I haven't felt the need to do so. In the end I got lucky that I was able to fit into a boot like this.

If they were available at the time, I would have been looking at the Hawx Maga 130s.

I do ski the whole mountain but I tend to prefer very high speed runs on frontside trails. The Redsters have been great for that. In the woods, I've found the ski makes more of a difference than the boot. Other than being angled slightly more forward than I would like for off-piste runs, the Atomics have treated me just fine.
    They have 3 width of Hawx. I would end up in the ‘prime’ middle width. I’m
    Not making the mistake of wide boots again. I really enjoy a fast groome or flat trail, but I find myself in the woods or bumps as often or not. The ski shop just called today and I asked about the race boot. They advised against it for my use even if it is the same stiffness. It’s 625 for the Hawx 130s they are going to order them for me. That’s with full heat molded liner and shell fitting, which seems reasonable even if they are cheaper online. I didn’t know they custom molded shells and I prefer not to buy online when I can get it local so I guess that’s worth some extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I've been in "performance" boots since I was in my teens. I remember trying on "rec" boots and being able to flex my knee damned near to the ground.
    I had some Solomon near-race boot for forever. Obnoxious purple. Loved 'em.
    Couple years ago I got refused a rental because the heel plates were worn out. Guy insisted they weren't safe to ski in. I shopped a local shop and the sales cat said he hears this complaint a lot from larger humans. Pointed me at a pair of Dalbello Panterra 120's. They were comfortable enough. Fit well. Didn't flex obscenely. Were priced within the realm of what I expected to spend and were obnoxious day-glo yellow. I bought them without even trying any other boot on. I love them. As good or better than the boots they replaced.

I wouldn't mind getting out for a day or two. Not sure it'll happen with the family responsibilities being what they are. We'll see. I'm not hell bent on getting a certain day-count or anything.
    When you’re not on the mountain all the time and in the know it’s hard to figure out what you need. I’m really not sure as far as flex and style of boot. Taking their advice always leaves me wondering.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by maxim_X; 11-11-18 at 11:00 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Monday Night Madness at Shawnee every chance I can get.

Small mountain but close and cheap.
    Just gotta say.. yeah.

SKI/SNOWBOARD 2018-19 PLANS?-img_5180-jpg

1 Not allowed!

Getting to a foot of extremely heavy new snow at Sunapee since yesterday. Another couple inches today. Great base for opening day Thursday. Going to try and make it Thursday or Friday.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Sunapee opened today top to bottom (limited). Now that Vail took over the automatically upgraded my pass to Epic. But the system is different so you have to go in person and sign a form. It takes a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SKI/SNOWBOARD 2018-19 PLANS?-a1ac15c4-2916-49b6-ad04-12b8e0c0b229  

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 11-29-18 at 02:49 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Anyone else with a PeakPass thinking about hitting Wildcat tomorrow? They're almost entirely open and got nothing but snow (and a lot of it) when everywhere south was getting the rain and cement. I'm planning on being there early to track up the fresh corduroy.

1 Not allowed!

Killington sucked Tuesday. Please stay away.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Just gotta say.. yeah.

SKI/SNOWBOARD 2018-19 PLANS?-img_5180-jpg
    Ooh, looks like they're opening tomorrow! Earliest season yet.

Finally got myself a helmet. Couple nice Black Friday deals on Evo should be showing up today, just in time.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Wildcat was excellent today and no lines. Unfortunately, my legs were toast by noon. Highly recommended.SKI/SNOWBOARD 2018-19 PLANS?-20181130_095511-jpg

2 Not allowed!

Name that ski hill

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SKI/SNOWBOARD 2018-19 PLANS?-po2o4jt-jpg  

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Name that ski hill

YC?

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    YC?

Although that photo doesn't show the Eglise expansion. First tracks everyday the last two weeks.

1 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12