Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 112

Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

  1. #76
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021


    Hitting Smuggler's Notch this Friday-Sunday. Never been. Any insider tips?

    Just picked up a pair of used 2021 Elan Ripsticks 96. Supposed to be fun playful skis. Gonna put my 6 ski-day old Atomic Vantage 97Cs up for sale

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  2. #77
    Senior Member bassomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pembroke, NH
    Age
    60
    Posts
    358

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Hitting Smuggler's Notch this Friday-Sunday. Never been. Any insider tips?
    LOVE Smuggs..My first few years on skis were spent there (as well as earning my first cast there), and worked there during winter break in 1980-81, but haven't skied there in probably 20 years. Snowmaking everywhere except at Morse Mt. was always weak, but I'm sure they've upped their game. The old school vibe on the Sterling and Madonna chairs is great. Doc Dempseys Run is awesome if they have the snow and you like glades. FIS is right next to it and has the steeps to rip if it's groomed. Both of these are off the Madonna chair. Apres ski at Brewster River Pub And Brewery (it had the comedic name of Brewster River Yacht Club back in the day) was always good (downstairs). Enjoy the new skis! post up a report when you get back.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #78
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Ive had a lot of solid days on the peak to the left. February produced, looking like a few days of high pressure before the next cycle starts.



    Put this up in October. 12' Pole with about 4' showing now

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #79
    Get Weird! maxim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven, Ma
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,068

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Hitting Smuggler's Notch this Friday-Sunday. Never been. Any insider tips?

    Just picked up a pair of used 2021 Elan Ripsticks 96. Supposed to be fun playful skis. Gonna put my 6 ski-day old Atomic Vantage 97Cs up for sale
    I'm a little late, so I hope you had some fun times. It's hard to give too many recommendations without a hint of your ability. There is some serious skiing there.

    I generally avoid Morse Mountain, it's more for beginners and family's. As mentioned Doc Dempseys is great. It starts steep and open and turns into tight trees. But, there is a lot of tree skiing there, and it seems like more all the time, so Doc's might not be so special anymore. Madonna liftline run was always a favorite when the snow is soft, and energy was high. Upper/lower Chilcoot is a great trail to tip the skis down on and rip top to bottom. Off of sterling there are trails that land you in the notch for a small hike back if you're into that. There is a pond on top of sterling that connects smuggs to stowe. Stowe use to give you one courtesy ride back to the top if you went over.

    Let us know how it went and how the ripsticks are.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

    JCBernier -- You-tube

  5. #80
    daideó Rambunctous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Waterville Valley, NH
    Posts
    6,906

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Ive had a lot of solid days on the peak to the left. February produced, looking like a few days of high pressure before the next cycle starts.



    Put this up in October. 12' Pole with about 4' showing now
    I love this pic. Just beautiful.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RIDING THE RAILS

  6. #81
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,531

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I love this pic. Just beautiful.
    Agreed

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  7. #82
    ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    who knows
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,305

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Got a great day first day of the season in at Sunday River today. snow conditions were good, woods were good too!

    Ski Snowboard 2020-2021-20210228_140043_resized-jpg
    Ski Snowboard 2020-2021-20210228_104122_resized-jpg
    Ski Snowboard 2020-2021-20210228_104417_resized-jpg

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by scubasteveRR; 03-04-21 at 08:29 AM.

  8. #83
    no can kneedown feralchimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somerville MA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    756

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    GF and I picked up snowboarding a few years ago, but would only actually go as part of a "real vacation" / destination thing (Okemo, Sunapee, etc), which ultimately translated to "not much" for all the reasons you'd expect.

    A few weeks ago, I tried the night session at Wachusett. $36 for 7-930pm, or $31 if you're reloading their plastic pass card.

    It's been fun as hell, and pretty spot-on for my skill/fitness level. I'm still just doing blues on the board, but I doubled down and replaced my skis from highschool, got a rack for the car, etc.. I've probably been 10 times so far, including last night in the slush. At this price point and level of time commitment, suspect conditions are just another learning tool. Two thumbs up.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    701 E/SM, Hyperstrada 821

  9. #84
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    GF and I picked up snowboarding a few years ago, but would only actually go as part of a "real vacation" / destination thing (Okemo, Sunapee, etc), which ultimately translated to "not much" for all the reasons you'd expect.

    A few weeks ago, I tried the night session at Wachusett. $36 for 7-930pm, or $31 if you're reloading their plastic pass card.

    It's been fun as hell, and pretty spot-on for my skill/fitness level. I'm still just doing blues on the board, but I doubled down and replaced my skis from highschool, got a rack for the car, etc.. I've probably been 10 times so far, including last night in the slush. At this price point and level of time commitment, suspect conditions are just another learning tool. Two thumbs up.
    For somewhere local and more variety I recommend Crotched mountain if you want to go longer than a couple hours. $40 for 4pm-9pm.

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  10. #85
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,314

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Long ago had a night season pass at Crotched. Never went once on weekends!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

  11. #86
    no can kneedown feralchimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somerville MA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    756

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Thanks for the suggestion Swift; similar drive time and a heck of a lot more skiing/riding per dollar.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    701 E/SM, Hyperstrada 821

  12. #87
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Swift; similar drive time and a heck of a lot more skiing/riding per dollar.
    Either my memory is gone or they changed the pricing. It's $55 nor from 3-9PM

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  13. #88
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    This year has been extra insane with the amount of mega pass tourists visiting. I may sound like a jaded local but this past Saturday the ridge had about 80 people out there either shoulder or suitcase carrying their skis. Multiple people where overheard complaining about how the terrain shouldnt be open etc... You idiots walked through a gate that had plenty of warnings and advisories, photo maps of the different terrain and a beacon checker... Also no one on the hill sunday but a two hour tramline which mostly consisted of half scenic rides, which is bullshit. Wait till 230 when it closes to skiing and then go take a scenic ride not when people are trying to ski.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #89
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    41
    Posts
    11,367

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    This year has been extra insane with the amount of mega pass tourists visiting. I may sound like a jaded local but this past Saturday the ridge had about 80 people out there either shoulder or suitcase carrying their skis. Multiple people where overheard complaining about how the terrain shouldnt be open etc... You idiots walked through a gate that had plenty of warnings and advisories, photo maps of the different terrain and a beacon checker... Also no one on the hill sunday but a two hour tramline which mostly consisted of half scenic rides, which is bullshit. Wait till 230 when it closes to skiing and then go take a scenic ride not when people are trying to ski.
    Don't you have to sign in at the box to access that terrain?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  15. #90
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Don't you have to sign in at the box to access that terrain?
    No, you have to sign out to access the Big and North Summit Snowfield, you need to "check in" with patrol to hit a few other spots but that is not advertised and only those in the know know.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #91
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    41
    Posts
    11,367

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Oh so where those people headed in the direction of like the dictator chutes?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  17. #92
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Oh so where those people headed in the direction of like the dictator chutes?
    Negative A-Zs/Headwaters Ridge

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #93
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    41
    Posts
    11,367

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Negative A-Zs/Headwaters Ridge
    Ohhhh ok, sorry. I was confused.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  19. #94
    Lifer wiggeywackyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,377

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    This year has been extra insane with the amount of mega pass tourists visiting. I may sound like a jaded local but this past Saturday the ridge had about 80 people out there either shoulder or suitcase carrying their skis. Multiple people where overheard complaining about how the terrain shouldnt be open etc... You idiots walked through a gate that had plenty of warnings and advisories, photo maps of the different terrain and a beacon checker... Also no one on the hill sunday but a two hour tramline which mostly consisted of half scenic rides, which is bullshit. Wait till 230 when it closes to skiing and then go take a scenic ride not when people are trying to ski.
    I gotta ask. What's the right way to carry your gear if not that? Pack?

    This is the first year we haven't made it out there in like 5 or 6. Really missing it, especially all of the goodies off of that lift. Personally, it's irritating that they're trying to make terrain access easier across the resort. Ruining all the good stuff for those who are willing to work for it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

  20. #95
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    I gotta ask. What's the right way to carry your gear if not that? Pack?.
    Yes a pack is the correct way to do it.


    A guy died here yesterday, it was horrific. Ended up somewhere he shouldnt have then decided to try and hike down fell and hit rocks.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #96
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Finally got to show Jay around the place. Snow was mediocre until a few inches on his last day. Pretty stoked to finally be able to show him the backyard




    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #97
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,078

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Yup. It was sick. I dunno how much I would have skiied without a "guide." Its an intimidating place. Rode Big Sky on Tuesday, crushed it to Tahoe that night and had a powder day yesterday at Alpine from 1-4. Hitting up Squaw today for the leftovers and bigger lines.

    Some shots from Big Sky

    The Mountain



    Hike into Beehive Basin






    The Dogs




    The Lines





    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 03-11-21 at 09:47 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

  23. #98
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    37,563

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    fuhhhhh keeeeeng hell, man.


    On a related topic, Sylwia just sent me this link to an online event/presentation/discussion thingie. Think some of you guys might be interested. I may join in as well.

    https://mappyhour.org/events/2021/03...jx-68tMKxqwW2U

    I've been saying for years now that I wanna do Tucks... or at least SOME sorta backcountry stuff... I'm really liking the winter hiking and would love to incorporate some skiing into it but I can't afford to sink a ton of money into it for all this special equipment... Tucks is tough, but at least the trail is accessible and doesn't require skins and special backcountry skis n shit.

    I dunno, maybe I'm wrong... But I'd love to do some local stuff like that without spending a bunch of money. If anyone's got any recs, I'm all ears.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 03-11-21 at 11:13 AM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  24. #99
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,078

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    fuhhhhh keeeeeng hell, man.


    On a related topic, Sylwia just sent me this link to an online event/presentation/discussion thingie. Think some of you guys might be interested. I may join in as well.

    https://mappyhour.org/events/2021/03...jx-68tMKxqwW2U

    I've been saying for years now that I wanna do Tucks... or at least SOME sorta backcountry stuff... I'm really liking the winter hiking and would love to incorporate some skiing into it but I can't afford to sink a ton of money into it for all this special equipment... Tucks is tough, but at least the trail is accessible and doesn't require skins and special backcountry skis n shit.

    I dunno, maybe I'm wrong... But I'd love to do some local stuff like that without spending a bunch of money. If anyone's got any recs, I'm all ears.
    With Skis, its very easy to have one set that does both backcountry and resort to keep the costs down. I just sent out a feeler to my friends, they're your size. Will text you if they have anything. Whitney probably has something that Sylwia could use.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

  25. #100
    Fast is contagious JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,078

    Re: Ski Snowboard 2020-2021

    Moosilauke Carriage road, Sherburne trail, Tuckerbook, Teardrop trail, Mt Cardigan, and uphill resort laps are all great starting points, to name a few. You can do all of them solo with little risk.

    If Tucks is your goal, check out the Sherb. You can take a quick jaunt to the bottom of the ravine and check it out and see what you think. If you decide to do it, left gully, right fully, and lobster claw are good starters.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 03-11-21 at 11:27 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •