Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ski/Snowboard 2021/22 Season

Re: Ski/Snowboard 2021/22 Season

Heading up to VT this evening for a the weekend at Pete's favorite mountain. Pumped to see how the little dude does with a couple more lesson days.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Heading up to VT this evening for a the weekend at Pete's favorite mountain. Pumped to see how the little dude does with a couple more lesson days.
    Got any extra tickets to sell?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    At Sunday River now. Damn coast stole the snow, at least it's snowing and beautiful. But just like all my exes, could use a few more inches.
    Wish I knew you went up to the River I would have met you. How were the conditions? How was the crowd?

I had a snow day for work and ended up going to Loon yesterday since the ride was only 1.5hrs as opposed to 3hrs. Was a little icey and the snow clumped up pretty good on the main mountain by 11am. South Peak's snow was a lot better and spent the second half of the day over there.

No wait on any of the lifts, though I avoided the Gondola like the plague.

Overall can't complain and I got another day on my pass. Almost paid for itself...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The only positive thing I have to say about Mount Snow is they tried to arrest Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    Wish I knew you went up to the River I would have met you. How were the conditions? How was the crowd?

I had a snow day for work and ended up going to Loon yesterday since the ride was only 1.5hrs as opposed to 3hrs. Was a little icey and the snow clumped up pretty good on the main mountain by 11am. South Peak's snow was a lot better and spent the second half of the day over there.

No wait on any of the lifts, though I avoided the Gondola like the plague.

Overall can't complain and I got another day on my pass. Almost paid for itself...
    No crowd, conditions were dust on ice in the natural sections. Groomers I imagine were good earlier, I skinned Mt. Abram in the AM. Standard side of the trail afternoon in NE.

The only positive thing I have to say about Mount Snow is they tried to arrest Pete.
    Heard it was busy AF today.

-Alex

It is busy AF. Lift lines are 20 minutes. Every lift I’ve taken up today has had a stoppage, one of them for at least 10 minutes. Trails are icy and boney. I’ve quit for the day, it just isn’t fun. On the plus side Liam is having a great time in ski school and is making progress.

It is busy AF. Lift lines are 20 minutes. Every lift I’ve taken up today has had a stoppage, one of them for at least 10 minutes. Trails are icy and boney. I’ve quit for the day, it just isn’t fun. On the plus side Liam is having a great time in ski school and is making progress.
    That's awesome! Glad he's loving it.

I assure you I wasn't the first to jump on the fuck Vail train and still think it's a tough year... but damn are they straight up fucking the pooch.

-Alex

I will do an Ikon pass next season. I decided kinda late to get the kid involved this year, past the point of passes being on sale. Remainder of the season I will either go and scout Killington and Stratton or head back to Okemo.

I assure you, Killington is no treat on weekends either but the lines I'm seeing on social media for other places are realllllly bad. I like hiding on mid mountain lifts on days like that.

-Alex

Lifer

Shawnee was busy in the morning, but never more than a few minutes in line.

But, it’s a small place.

Which is all I need.

11 runs in the morning, 9 more between 3 and 4:45, that’s planets.

Tomorrow will be my 7th day this season.

I only have 7 in as well and it's depressing me.

-Alex

Second time out yesterday, went to Okemo. 50% open and it was overcast, periods of fog, with period of freezing rain and rain. Despite all that the snow was really good with minimal ice patches. Lines were no longer than 8min at most. Great day!

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Skinned Abram today. Skin track was a bit slick. Trails were a damn race track. Firm and fasssst.

-Alex

I was back east since December 20th-ish. Couldn't have timed it worse - it was just cold rain every day. I didn't even leave Boston.
    Meanwhile, Tahoe got 17 feet and I was in a dark place riding my bike inside every day.

Our ski-house in Tahoe city started this past Friday, so I flew back to SF on Thursday, then went up Friday night.

Paliades/Alpine lots filled by 9:30am. We went and picked up our XC passes did some skate skiing for about an hour, then went over to Palisades at ~2 and STILL struggled to find a parking spot. Either way, not really any lift lines - they don't get them too badly. They have a lot of lifts and they all are pretty epic which helps spread things out. Feel like a lot of places in New England have like 1-2 main lifts that just get crushed and everything else kinda sucks. It was pretty tough to find any good snow, but it was there. Tahoe got a little bit of rain Wednesday that kind of fucked the snow conditions (and now put a layer of shit that hopefully will consolidate this week while its pretty warm). There is still a ridiculous amount of snow, but you need to find a spot that doesn't see any sun to find the goods. Made a few runs, had a few beers, went home.

Sunday we decided to find high elevation and went and toured incline peak, which starts >8000 feet. Hoping that the rain would have been more like snow. We expected it was going to be shit skiing but some exercise, but it turned out Awesome! The north facing stuff in the shade skiied awesome. January sucks for work for me, so I came back to SF last night, but looking forward to this season....a lot.

Ski/Snowboard 2021/22 Season-8b42a229-a4e8-418e-9609-b958743655da

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 01-11-22 at 12:36 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Hope you guys got out and got some goods! Izzy finally made winter happen. Bumped up runs all afternoon yesterday and finally got in the woods today. Temps will drop so it's gonna be some super hero groomer snow tomorrow. Get it!

-Alex

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

heading to the Loaf for 6 days end of week. they got 12" yesterday and will get a couple dusting between now and before I leave. pretty stoked. if it's open might check out the Cat skiing and see what it's all about.

not sure if 12" is enough though (oh, and that's what she said... )

Damn, I won't be back in Maine till first week of Feb. I have this week in kton and prrrrrrobably next week. May try and grab Brandon's gap Saturday if reports are ok.

-Alex

Damn, I won't be back in Maine till first week of Feb. I have this week in kton and prrrrrrobably next week. May try and grab Brandon's gap Saturday if reports are ok.
    Curious to hear your assessment. I'm looking to do my first splitboard laps ever and this year has been rough.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Definitely get them in on a resort first. Learn your gear and your fitness level. Learning your reaction to certain temps helps you understand your layering strategy. Learning that stuff in a controlled environment is certainly beneficial. You can also hit places like mount Abram and black of Maine. They have skin tracks on resort but in the woods which adds a little bit of those challenges you won't face on a groomer. Then the cut glade systems when you feel confident in your ability and gear. That's where my experience ends as I'm looking for a sponsor to get me into more challenging backcountry.

-Alex

Definitely get them in on a resort first. Learn your gear and your fitness level. Learning your reaction to certain temps helps you understand your layering strategy. Learning that stuff in a controlled environment is certainly beneficial. You can also hit places like mount Abram and black of Maine. They have skin tracks on resort but in the woods which adds a little bit of those challenges you won't face on a groomer. Then the cut glade systems when you feel confident in your ability and gear. That's where my experience ends as I'm looking for a sponsor to get me into more challenging backcountry.
    That's more or less the path I'm going to take. This winter has been a bit weak so far but, was going to drag the setup to Loon or something of the like, then do the auto road down Miller State Park and go from there. Any interest in shepherding a newb around?

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

I'm usually at kton or SR so if you're in those areas definitely give me a shout! Ive forgot to give these guys a shout out. https://www.inclusiveskitouring.com/ the wife has done their Sunday AM tour and said it's a great group. We where gonna do their Backcountry program but are outta town for some of the dates.

-Alex

Spent the weekend at Stowe. -23 degree starting temp on Saturday and warmer 1 degree starting on Sunday. I was nervous about surviving at those temps but all that went away once I got on snow. Beautiful blue bird day with turns of grip when on edge.

On Sunday my left boot started making this weird clicking/popping sound whenever I flexed. Turns out the shell had a good 6 inch crack on the side. The crack looks like it started from the hinge and worked itself forward. These Dalbello boots are 13 months old with 15ish days on them.

Anyone have this happen to their boots?

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123