Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Skid Steer Rental

Re: Skid Steer Rental

BX may work for that. Leave it in 2wd as often as you can to minimize tearing up your lawn.

I know my B2620 would make that an easy hour project to pull all those rocks. The thumb would mean just drive up to them, loosen them up, then grab hold/lift/drive to where you want them dropped. The biggest rock would need to be finagled into the bucket, then likely held in with a simple chain.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 06-06-19 at 09:58 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Really. Stop math'ing and get it done with a CUT if the rental costs are cheap. If you have a lick of ability at the controls, you can make shit work.

For frame of reference, that FEL bucket width is 50". Yeah, that was a heavy rock.

All but the leftmost rock was pulled elsewhere on my property and moved and placed with my little useless homeowner toy. I'm not a pro operator either.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 06-06-19 at 10:20 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

not really "mathing" just don't have time to get to it for a couple more weeks so i'm thinking things through...even the smallest machine i'm sure i could pick up or drag most of them aside from the large one but my issues are...

-never ran one but i'm sure i could figure it out after playing around after a bit
    -don't really want to have to pay extra for training (sounds like this is a non-issue with sunbelt)
    -don't know if i can tow the weight of the unit plus the trailer with a tacoma so i may have to see if a buddy can tow it for me cause i don't want to pay for delivery
    -don't really want the neighbors to see me bring a machine into my yard since i'm moving things into an area that i probably shouldn't be...trying to stay under the radar

...the last one is the biggest issue i have...if i did this over the fall/winter it would be a non-issue as well cause the neighbor goes to live at another house in a warmer location...i'm really just on the fence with that part...still not sure which way i'm going to go but it will get done one way or another

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Skid Steer Rental

Moved to date via wheel barrow or riding lawnmower...so glad this is almost over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!

why arent you making a nice rock wall with those?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    why arent you making a nice rock wall with those?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
    Lol...have a fence don’t need a wall...

0 Not allowed!

1.5 days of drilling...2" roto hammer rental from home depot...1.25" drill bit (broke 1 bit)...150+ ~10" deep holes...need to blow out the holes with the compressor and buy the dexpan to break them...drilled through a few times by accident...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 07-08-19 at 07:07 AM.

hmm, looks like a lot of unnecessary drilling, smaller holes and feathers & wedges is how I would have taken care of it Feathers and Wedges | Miles Supply

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    hmm, looks like a lot of unnecessary drilling, smaller holes and feathers & wedges is how I would have taken care of it Feathers and Wedges | Miles Supply
    maybe but smaller holes closer together means more holes plus hammering on top of it...less larger holes, mix, pour and let the grout break them...easier but more expensive in the long run...would have been cheaper to get a machine in there but also would have wrecked the whole yard since it's so soft/muddy back there

0 Not allowed!

That looks like it was not fun.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    maybe but smaller holes closer together means more holes plus hammering on top of it...less larger holes, mix, pour and let the grout break them...easier but more expensive in the long run...would have been cheaper to get a machine in there but also would have wrecked the whole yard since it's so soft/muddy back there

having the experience of drilling ½" holes, and larger holes, it's not the number of holes as much as the amount of rock yer drilling, your 1.25" holes requires 6x the amount of stone pounding as a ½. splitting the rock is tapping on the feathers, nothing that takes a lot of energySkid Steer Rental-rock-jpg

and ya don't have to wait overnight for the rock to break

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    having the experience of drilling ½" holes, and larger holes, it's not the number of holes as much as the amount of rock yer drilling, your 1.25" holes requires 6x the amount of stone pounding as a ½. splitting the rock is tapping on the feathers, nothing that takes a lot of energySkid Steer Rental-rock-jpg

and ya don't have to wait overnight for the rock to break
    i just wonder about the time comparison between the 2 methods...it took me a day and a half to drill 150+ holes in 20 different rocks...it may take me another half day to mix the grout and pour it into all the holes and then just wait a day or two for them to break...i'm not in a rush to finish as all i care about it getting them broken and moved before winter...i could loam and seed in the fall or the spring (prefer the fall) but either way works...i also don't own any feathers and wedges so i would have to buy them and may not ever use them again...it really comes down to time for me as well as trying not to wreck the yard in the process which is why i didn't opt for a machine which probably would have been faster and cheaper...if i had only a few rocks i may have gone the feather/wedge route

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 07-08-19 at 10:19 AM.

Use a vacuum to clean the holes, don't blow them out with air. Stone dust is silica, which is the new asbestos as far as your lungs are concerned. Hopefully you wore a mask, or wet drilled when drilling the holes.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Use a vacuum to clean the holes, don't blow them out with air. Stone dust is silica, which is the new asbestos as far as your lungs are concerned. Hopefully you wore a mask, or wet drilled when drilling the holes.
    i used a vacuum to clean around some of the holes as i was drilling...the rest i blew off with a compressor...i'm not sure if i will be able to suck all the dust out of the holes...didn't use a mask or wet drill...i'll make sure to when i clean them up now

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    don't own any feathers and wedges so i would have to buy them and may not ever use them again..
    it is kinda hard to justify the expense, you'd probably spend near $100 for enough sets for a one time use...... I have a tin can full of em, ones that I have found here and there in stone walls while surveying, where someone got halfway thru splitting a rock 150 years ago, and gave up, I can't imagine the work, drilling those holes by hand

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123