Results 1 to 13 of 13

Skiing Utah

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milton, MA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    694

    Skiing Utah

    Anyone stayed right on the hill (PC / Canyons / Alta, etc)? I've been out a bunch, but always with a large group so we've rented a house. I'm headed out in March with just a couple guys so we won't need a large rental this time around. Looking for a "reasonable" hotel with ski in / ski out.

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: Skiing Utah

    I've never priced it but Park City has a chairlift in and out of their downtown area. I'm sure there are plenty of places to stay around it.

    Every time I've gone I've stayed in Salt Lake City since we were jumping to different mountains every day.

    0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  3. #3
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Highly recommend Powder Mountain. It has the most skiable acreage of any resort in the US and is about an hour drive from SLC airport. The ski village is located at the top of the mountain and all of the condos are a short walk or directly ski out. Biggest benefit of the mountain top resort is if you're there during a storm (and already on top) then the road up closes and you have the mountain nearly to yourself. Lots of glades skiing, lots of Cat skiing (extra $) and a bunch of natural terrain. There's also quite a bit of chair up, brief hike to some high terrain, then fresh tracks down.

    Downside is there isn't much in the way of nightlife unless you drive down the mountain to Eden. There is only one bar/restaurant open for dinner, they close at 8:30. We always stop there and grab groceries for the week (the grocery store sells discount lift tickets!) and usually only venture down to town for dinner 1 or 2 nights of 7. This doesn't really bother me much...I'm there to snowboard so I'm making laps from lift open to lift close...usually ready to go to bed by 9:00. We also usually ride over to Snow Basin for one of the days, it's about a 30 minute drive.

    Really an awesome place to go spend a week. I haven't been since 2013, I understand they've built a bunch of new condos and added a couple of new chairlifts since then.

    2 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  4. #4
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    9,327

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Didn't like Park City that much. It's a collection of mountains with lifts to traverse the canyons in-between. The conditions are great and there are lots of hotels, restaurants etc, but spending that much time traversing between mountains was kind of a buzz kill, even though the snow is terrific.

    0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

  5. #5
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,637

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Highly recommend Powder Mountain. It has the most skiable acreage of any resort in the US and is about an hour drive from SLC airport. The ski village is located at the top of the mountain and all of the condos are a short walk or directly ski out. Biggest benefit of the mountain top resort is if you're there during a storm (and already on top) then the road up closes and you have the mountain nearly to yourself. Lots of glades skiing, lots of Cat skiing (extra $) and a bunch of natural terrain. There's also quite a bit of chair up, brief hike to some high terrain, then fresh tracks down.

    Downside is there isn't much in the way of nightlife unless you drive down the mountain to Eden. There is only one bar/restaurant open for dinner, they close at 8:30. We always stop there and grab groceries for the week (the grocery store sells discount lift tickets!) and usually only venture down to town for dinner 1 or 2 nights of 7. This doesn't really bother me much...I'm there to snowboard so I'm making laps from lift open to lift close...usually ready to go to bed by 9:00. We also usually ride over to Snow Basin for one of the days, it's about a 30 minute drive.

    Really an awesome place to go spend a week. I haven't been since 2013, I understand they've built a bunch of new condos and added a couple of new chairlifts since then.
    uhhhh, that sounds flippin awesome

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    uhhhh, that sounds flippin awesome
    It is a GREAT place to spend a week.

    I haven't been during March so I can't comment on what the snow conditions will be like, I haven't boarded the Wasatch at all that time of year. Social media feeds always looked promising though. Pre-kid life I used to do two trips per year with my Dad, his friend and friend's son. End of January was a rotating trip that landed us at Powder multiple times, Steamboat, Tahoe, and Taos. End of February we always went to Copper Mtn and would do 4 days there and 3 off mountain days (Breck, Beaver Creek, etc...) Powder is by far my favorite resort. You won't find (many) ski bunnies. The amenities are minimal, there are no big hotels. It's pretty much necessary to do almost all of your own cooking, unless you're fine eating chili and wings for a week. The condos I stayed at are pretty spartan. Simple kitchen and living room. Two bedrooms; one with a king, the second with two twins. The skiing is really amazing, particularly if you're up for a quick hike after a chair ride. The mountain is just a series of bowls with multiple peaks. Not all peaks are lift serviced but will funnel back down to a lift area.

    Looking at the trail map my favorite area was Cobabe Canyon. The Mary's and Village lift didn't exist when I was there last. I'd ride Sunrise lift up, board down to the saddle, then take a 10 minute hike to the top of Cobabe. You can drop in either side, I'd like to ride the left ridge line down a ways, if you're patient about your drop in point there are always fresh tracks down. The steeps coming down into the bowl can vary from nice easy Blue (in knee deep powder) to some seriously sketchy double blacks hucking cliffs and shit.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  7. #7
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,197

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Why not go somewhere you haven't been before? There are some awesome places out west that aren't in colorado utah or tahoe...

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,959

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Big Sky and Utah this year for me. May have to try powder if it's on my pass

    0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milton, MA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    694

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Why not go somewhere you haven't been before? There are some awesome places out west that aren't in colorado utah or tahoe...
    Because I have been to virtually every big mountain out west, but I am taking someone who has never been out west. Wasatch resorts have the best combo of reliable conditions and proximity to a major airport IMO.

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    daideó Rambunctous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,362

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Highly recommend Powder Mountain. It has the most skiable acreage of any resort in the US and is about an hour drive from SLC airport. The ski village is located at the top of the mountain and all of the condos are a short walk or directly ski out. Biggest benefit of the mountain top resort is if you're there during a storm (and already on top) then the road up closes and you have the mountain nearly to yourself. Lots of glades skiing, lots of Cat skiing (extra $) and a bunch of natural terrain. There's also quite a bit of chair up, brief hike to some high terrain, then fresh tracks down.

    Downside is there isn't much in the way of nightlife unless you drive down the mountain to Eden. There is only one bar/restaurant open for dinner, they close at 8:30. We always stop there and grab groceries for the week (the grocery store sells discount lift tickets!) and usually only venture down to town for dinner 1 or 2 nights of 7. This doesn't really bother me much...I'm there to snowboard so I'm making laps from lift open to lift close...usually ready to go to bed by 9:00. We also usually ride over to Snow Basin for one of the days, it's about a 30 minute drive.

    Really an awesome place to go spend a week. I haven't been since 2013, I understand they've built a bunch of new condos and added a couple of new chairlifts since then.
    And it's cheaper. Limited ticket sales means never a line. They stop at 1500 tickets. And considering that it's the hugest resort in the USA when you including the "out of bounds" lift served. With the $ saved splurge on guide for a day.


    's

    1 Not allowed!
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

  11. #11
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    13,272

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    And it's cheaper. Limited ticket sales means never a line. They stop at 1500 tickets. And considering that it's the hugest resort in the USA when you including the "out of bounds" lift served. With the $ saved splurge on guide for a day.


    's
    1500 people? That's like a private mountain.

    0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  12. #12
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: Skiing Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    1500 people? That's like a private mountain.
    You should read some articles on the Summit Group. A cousin of mine (who I've met once, at the mountain) is their "Director of Ambiance." That will give you an idea of what sort of group it is that bought this mountain and why yes, it is just like a private mountain. While the group who owns it are literally the definition of douchey millennial elitists, their mountain kicks ass.

    And yes, definitely splurge for a guide on day 1. They know where all the hidden powder stashes are even if it hasn't snowed for weeks.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milton, MA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    694

    Re: Skiing Utah

    I didn't know Park City and The Canyons merged in 2015. Freaking HUGE resort now, though given the layout of the two I can't imagine it's very easy getting from one end to the other. And it's $135 a day!!

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bonk!; 11-05-18 at 09:03 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •