Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skunk

Skunk

This mofo living under a deck

YouTube and Google say:
    1.) Try cheap stuff first - toss ammonia (or dog/coyote urine??) soaked rags into crawl space openings/under decks, or bowls of vinegar
    2.) Toss mothballs in said areas
    3.) Predator eye (Google it)
    4.) Bright motion detector lights
    5.) Make sure all their food access (trash cans, compost) is inaccessible

***This should deter them

5.) If not, sprinkle flour near their opening or use security camera to confirm when they leave
    6.) Block off said crawl spaces

****All else fails?

7.) Pay for exterminator for potential trapping

That sound right?

Heard what sounded like dog paws walking on the deck at night...opened the window and saw her freeze. Shined LED light and she raised her tail... then hunkered down under the deck. This will be an urban rental. Want it gone. Skunks don't pay rent on time. And painting a black cat with white stripe is some sort of scam/BS.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-28-17 at 03:17 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Re: Skunk

Motion detector lights won't work. They'll quickly adapt to that, and it won't deter them in any way. And while they're not deaf, sudden sounds and the such doesn't seem to bother them much either...

Having them trapped if you're in an urban area is probably a good bet. But be prepared for some odor for a while, there's a good chance it'll expel a bit. Deterrents work good to DETER. But if they're camping under your deck, simply tossing your deterrent of choice under there or blocking it off may just trap them under there...

The old timers around me swear by luring them out and shooting them in the spine, about half-way down their back. They insist there's no expulsion this way. But given your "urban" situation, that's probably not a sound method...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

FWIW our idiot dog has been sprayed three times. We mixed up a formula the Humane Society recommended,using Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda, and a little laundry detergent and it cleans him up great.

Not sure if it would work to deodorize a den.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Because it might be illegal, I've never used mothballs to get the skunks out from under a shed in the back yard. It would probably have taken a couple days had I done it.

If that hadn't worked (and it didn't because I didn't do it) my exterminator neighbor mentioned that rat poison works, but then you get to deal with some dead skunks.

Would a dog or cat eat rat poison? We have two cats and a dog, and a family of skunks appears to be living in a den along a fence line a couple hundred feet from our house.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

I have no first hand information on that. Some quick searches turns up a bunch of info on what to do if your dog / cat has eaten rat poison, so I assume they will?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    This mofo living under a deck

YouTube and Google say:.........................
    5.) If not, sprinkle flour near their opening or use security camera to confirm when they leave
    6.) Block off said crawl spaces
    This is what I did with the one that wanted to live under my shed. Granted there was only one way in or out so I knew where it left from. Check the area in the early evening and close it up. You also should know how many there are under there so you don't end up with dead rotting smelly skunks.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

All good info, much thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    But given your "urban" situation, that's probably not a sound method...
    Actually given my urban situation, they just need to wear red and they'll get shot

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I've used mothball blocks for chipmunks and mice It works well but is a bit smelly in the shed. I would think a skunk might not like the smell either but who knows. It's cheap enough to give it a try......

....................... PinHead's Avatar

If you can find his way in and out, make a one way door. The door will swing open to let him out but then fall closed behind him. A simple board and hinge works great for this, but keep in mind that skunks are great diggers. Concrete pavers, or what I did was dig about a foot all around my shed and put rabbit cage wire all around nailed to the shed and buried in the ground.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Dic on

I trapped one that was in my garage. Cat food (wet) in a humane trap with a blanket over it. Carefully put it all in a black plastic bag and took it a couple of miles away and released it. They dont like to spray so dont spook it and youll be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I trapped one that was in my garage. Cat food (wet) in a humane trap with a blanket over it. Carefully put it all in a black plastic bag and took it a couple of miles away and released it. They dont like to spray so dont spook it and youll be good.
    That's a good point. Spraying is a last resort for skunks. It takes them days to rejuvenate the canon...

Stoneman offered up his dog for Tricky's cat. Maybe he'll let you borrow it for your skunk issue??

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Stoneman offered up his dog for Tricky's cat. Maybe he'll let you borrow it for your skunk issue??
    Cats, squirrels, chipmunks, frogs & toads, small dogs, chicken, turkey - yes. Absolutely. Skunk? Not so much...

We had a skunk lurking around my buddies house in high school, it got the treatment with 2x's and a cinder block (I know that sounds horrible but they are a fucking nuisance animal). I had senior pics the next day and absolutely reeked. I don't recommend this method.

a stretched dried pelt will get you $10 from a fur buyer

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Do you have any idea how much my time is worth? I'm much better off sending my skunk pelts out to be stretched and dried elsewhere.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Yeah...I'm guessing about half that. I don't recall there being a big demand for skunk fur. Then again, it could be that high supply is driving the prices down. My bet is you'd be lucky to get $5.00 per pelt...

Coyote and fox on the other hand (from what I've heard) will get you $50-60 per pelt right now...

Back to your regular programming...

Last I heard, Eastern Coyote pelts are only $12.50, and take a fair amount of time to skin, it's the Western Coyote pelts that are getting decent $$, skunks on the other hand are relatively easy to skin, not too much different than a muskrat

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Randy, $10 skunk today is wayyy stronger than that '70s skunk. Selective breeding and genetic engineering have changed the game. It's true that it still takes time to harvest and dry, but the end result is worth it. Plenty of demand depending on location.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I had a skunk under my front tenants porch. The skunk and I had a very symbiotic relationship for many years. It even had some babies a few years ago, so cute.

I left it alone and it left me alone.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

We have a skunk family around here, they only really show up when they smell food, garbage is left out, etc.

Last summer one of the babies wandered into my shed while I was working, I eventually gave up waiting for him to leave and just went back to work, he hung out for a long time just making weird noises and rummaging in the corner while I worked. He was cute. Another time an adult was in the shed, obviously spooked a bit, but I opened the door and he just ran away.

They do seem to dislike light, but get used to it and if there's proper motivation they will stick around. Getting rid of food/garbage and maybe putting some stinky smells in their spot seem like the best bet, depending on how settled in they are..

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

firecrackers... ladyfingers... or black cats light them each time they come near. It'll learn

hmmmm......

I tried the "Critter Ridder" from home depot - absolute junk

sprayed it...couple days later my roommate sees the damn skunk in the morning before work. Skunk pees on the sidewalk.

Couple more days later we're talking about strategies when we hear a "clunk" outside and see the damn pest outside on the stairs of the porch.

Lights on - does nothing.

He goes back under the porch and we decide to avoid getting sprayed tonight...I stay awake (with the porch light on) and hear him again. Little bastard came back out. Appears to nibble/clean himself for about 10 mins and sniff around the porch, then take off for the night.

Knowing that he's gone, I use this opportunity to board up the porch with wood and blocked off any/all entry under the front gate with cardboard and reinforced from the back sides with metal (used metal rail from old bed frame). I'd like to see him try to scratch through the cardboard to find metal backing it.

Emptied the bottle of critter ridder around the front gate and setup security cameras at the openings...we'll see what his attempt is like to get back in...if he makes it in at all.

hopefully that should be it.

also forums say human urine. Kinda LOL'd at the idea of pissing into a cup and throwing it all over your house...or just getting drunk and pissing on your house...then having it all smell like piss.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-12-17 at 03:42 AM.
    instagram @veshlife

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    [snip ]...also forums say human urine. Kinda LOL'd at the idea of pissing into a cup and throwing it all over your house...or just getting drunk and pissing on your house...then having it all smell like piss.
    Or just forgo the cup and alcohol and piss on it while sober. Then again I live in the country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast