Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sling TV

Sling TV

Has anyone looked into or taken the dive into Sling TV? Their parent company is Dish Network which makes me a bit skeptical. Plus it is 100% dependent on your WIFI connection. I'm not sure I'm ready to make that jump from cable tv just yet. Basically the service is 20$ a month for 20-30 "basic cable" channels like all the major news network, CNN, ESPN, TBS, Food, etc etc. For 5-10$ per package you can get upgraded channels like sports, entertainment and a few others. The service runs off a streaming device like a Roku, Apple TV or Fire TV. Curious if anyone else has looked into this or signed up for it? I'd like to try the trial but I don't have any of the capable devices.

https://www.sling.com/

0 Not allowed!

Re: Sling TV

My brother in law has it and likes it a lot. If you want to cut the cord but need sports and/or the ability to just turn on the TV it's a great option. Only potential downfall is that you can only use it on one device at a time.

1 Not allowed!

Yup I saw that on a review. My initial thought is that this is still relatively new and the support will likely be coming in the future.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Yup I saw that on a review. My initial thought is that this is still relatively new and the support will likely be coming in the future.
    I suspect that's an intentional limitation, not a technical one. And I'm reading that only the Orange level package is restricted to one simultaneous viewing. The Blue package, or if you get both, allows up to 3 simultaneous viewings. Though I don't know where CNet is deriving that info from.

I haven't used the service, but it looks like it's supported by iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac. Basically, if you have something to browse the internet you probably can trial it. https://www.sling.com/devices

If you'll be watching a lot of content through this service, you may want to find out if your ISP has data caps or throttling, and what the typical data rates are from Sling. If not available, I believe Netflix publishes their data rates so you can make some guestimates.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 12-28-16 at 11:58 PM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I do not have data caps although that is absolutely an important point to be considered for anyone who checks this out.

I believe the way the service works is that you need Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku etc. You download the app to that device, then sign in, and that is how you would channel surf. You can also do this on a PC.

In the next few days I think I'm going to try the week trial and see how smooth the streaming is (as long as this works on the fire stick). Right now I have a jailbroken fire stick and it takes me about 30 second to load a 1 hour episode of a TV series.

0 Not allowed!

I got a Roku streaming stick before Christmas and added Sling as an experiment. I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime stuff. Probably will dump Sling. There just isn't much on it I want to watch. Roku SS is good though.

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

I signed up for DirectTV Now. They had a thing where you pre-paid for 3 months at $35 a month for 120 channels and you got a free new gen AppleTV. We were planning on getting a new AppleTV anyways, so it was a no brainer. $105 for a $135 AppleTV, plus 3 free months of streaming.

It's worked ok, not a ton of features, but you can use it on two devices at a time. I share it with my folks.

Biggest downside is the lack of local channels. I'll cancel after the 3 months until they can make local channels happen.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I signed up for DirectTV Now. They had a thing where you pre-paid for 3 months at $35 a month for 120 channels and you got a free new gen AppleTV. We were planning on getting a new AppleTV anyways, so it was a no brainer. $105 for a $135 AppleTV, plus 3 free months of streaming.

It's worked ok, not a ton of features, but you can use it on two devices at a time. I share it with my folks.

Biggest downside is the lack of local channels. I'll cancel after the 3 months until they can make local channels happen.
    watch out,
    DirecTV will rip you off anyway they can, they argued that they supplied me with Boston stations, when Portland Maine is where my local channels broadcast from, then after I grudgingly fulfilled my end of the 2 year contract and requested to discontinue the service it took them nearly 3 months to send me the receiver recovery package and continued to charge me service I wasn't using

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

They can "try" to rip me off all they want. It's one call to my credit card company away from disputing the charge.

So far, so good.

I'm not a satellite subscriber, just internet, so it's much less of an issue to cancel. No contract.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'm hoping to find that direct TV now deal if it's still going on. I just saw that this afternoon

0 Not allowed!

They can "try" to rip me off all they want. It's one call to my credit card company away from disputing the charge.

So far, so good.

I'm not a satellite subscriber, just internet, so it's much less of an issue to cancel. No contract.
    thats what I thought as well, and they still haven't got my money, but that didn't prevent them from reporting me to the credit bureaus that are in the pockets of creditors and not consumers

Account Details
    Last Reported Nov 27, 2016
    Collection Agency ERC
    Original Creditor 11 ERC DIRECTV INC
    Status Open
    Opened Date Oct 05, 2015
    Closed Date --
    Responsibility Individual
    Balance $230
    High Balance $230
    Remarks Account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 12-29-16 at 05:50 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Dispute it with the credit agencies.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Has anyone looked into or taken the dive into Sling TV? Their parent company is Dish Network which makes me a bit skeptical. Plus it is 100% dependent on your WIFI connection. I'm not sure I'm ready to make that jump from cable tv just yet. Basically the service is 20$ a month for 20-30 "basic cable" channels like all the major news network, CNN, ESPN, TBS, Food, etc etc. For 5-10$ per package you can get upgraded channels like sports, entertainment and a few others. The service runs off a streaming device like a Roku, Apple TV or Fire TV. Curious if anyone else has looked into this or signed up for it? I'd like to try the trial but I don't have any of the capable devices.

https://www.sling.com/

Playstation Vue works much better than Sling TV, DVR option alone makes it a better option.....

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Dispute it with the credit agencies.
    I did

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

So I've been kind of paying attention to Sling and it seems as though it has been earning a better reputation as far as quality and reliability are concerned. It's hard to take people's online reviews at face value since so much depends on internet connectivity, which obviously varies widely across the country. So as of today, I canceled cable which feels great. We retained a 45mbps internet connection, and I'm going to hardwire network cable to my living room to run a Roku Ultra. Between that and a good antenna up in the attic, we'll have a pretty good set up and everything is coming in around 100$ a month.

0 Not allowed!

Hypertarded

Been going back & forth on cutting the cord lately, comparing Sling VS DirectTV now and Cox VS FIOS for internet. However there still seems to be some compromise with either streaming option, so i'm thinking for now i'll downgrade to a FIOS internet & limited TV bundle as it's only about $18 more a month for nearly the same channel selection without the buffering & channel compromises. and will still save me about $60 over my current Cox plan.

Keep us updated on how it works out for you.

0 Not allowed!

For the time being, my set up will be as follows. Roku Ultra on a wired connection, mohu leaf antenna brings in 30 OTA cable channels. Cable bill went from 199$ to 59.99$ for internet only and 55$ for Sling Orange + Blue package, plus a few sports and lifestyle packages my wife wanted. So all said and done, I save 85$ a month. The Roku Ultra was 109, leaf antenna was 40$, so ~150$ to get into everything.

There is another product called AirTV which looks like it's marked by/ for Sling TV which will incorporate OTA channels into Sling and make them available in the guide. Hopefully they will also be available to use with the DVR feature.

0 Not allowed!

Sling didn't work for us, not enough bandwidth, we're capped at ~2.5Mbps average with Verizon DSL. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu stream just fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I'v been using Vue for 6 months or so. It's a pretty good alternative. I have the smallest package, which cost $39.99/month. (it used to cost $29.99/month, but recently all packages went up). Even with the price increase, it's a better deal than cable TV. However, you're still locked into having an internet provider and the only one in my area is Comcast. Thankfully, I work from home and can expense $50 of my broadband monthly as a home office expense, so it eases the $98 cost for their fastest service.

Like Sling, you need a device (Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc...) to run the app from. With Vue, you only get 2 of 4 major networks live (CBS and NBC) the other two (ABC and FOX) have on-demand, so you have to wait a day or two to get the archived versions. It allows you to select favorite shows and it tells you when new ones have been broadcast.

I was having issues with overall buffering. Now, I hook a Fire TV (the full version) directly into my cable modem and have a range extender that I cat 5 directly into another Fire TV (full version) in my bedroom. Buffering is not few and far between. I also used Kodi, which has its own set of buffering issues, but can be tweaked to increase cache for better viewing.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by The Snowman; 07-28-17 at 07:27 AM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Just added the option to watch online, which includes live TV you can select with a guide as well as free and on demand movies. Needs some polishing but the addition of more services is always a good thing. More value for my money anyways.

0 Not allowed!

If anyone else wants that let me know. My stores have them in stock and we can ship at no charge.

0 Not allowed!