Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smart Watch Users

Re: Smart Watch Users

Going to buy a watch for my son’s 18th birthday. Choices are Apple Watch (very expensive) vs FitBit Sense (expensive).

Anyone use the FitBit?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Going to buy a watch for my son’s 18th birthday. Choices are Apple Watch (very expensive) vs FitBit Sense (expensive).

Anyone use the FitBit?
    Garmin Fenix or GTFO.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

i have a fitbit alta hr that i wear 24/7...i didn't want a real watch cause i figured it would be too uncomfortable to sleep with it on...this model is more like a bracelet...the apple watch at the time was way too much money for something that i can take out of my pocket and do the same thing with on a bigger screen...i bought it mainly to be able to have a vibrating alarm to wake me up in the morning (and not anyone else) as well as to track my sleep...the bonus is the text alerts and phone call alerts when i am not walking around with my phone...i think garmin and polar put out better products than fitbit but i guess that depends on what you want to be able to do with it

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I have a Garmin Fenix watch. My wife has a fit-bit. I originally bought here a Garmin watch to replace a damaged fit-bit because it had HR monitoring and GPS while the equivalent fit-bit did not. She returned it and got a lesser fit-bit anyway. She is all about the sleep tracking and usability, which fit-bit does very well with. As per their brand, Garmin does a terrible job with their usability. But my Fenix has way, way more features than her watch.

Simplicity & usability vs features & gadgets.

I don't sleep with my watch. I've been meaning to sleep with it for a couple nights and see how the sleep tracking is now as I am sure it has been improved. I'm sure it isn't anything compared to fit-bit thought.

No personal experience with apple watches. I will say I've seen co-workers use apple watches to work effectively with notifications from apps. App notifications are not very useful on the Fenix. For example : My coworkers can very easily authorize the gazillion 2fa reqs we deal with every day now through their watches.. which is neat. I have to dig out my phone.

Biggest concern is the physical size of Fenix.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-01-21 at 02:23 PM.

Anyone use the FitBit?
    What is he going to use it for? As much as it hurts me to say it...apple is probably the best choice here unless he's looking to use it for working out.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

i have the Fitbit Ionic and love it. use it for step/workout/sleep/weight tracking and GPS tracking for dirt rides/hiking. watch interface, battery life and app are excellent. when it dies, i'll be going to a Garmin-something but holy $$$. i'd get another Ionic but Fitbit is phasing them out, you can still buy them though. it's been super durable, frequently smacked by branches and rocks while dirt riding. i never take it off.

prob not helpful but my wife has an Apple watch and bitches about it daily. i think she's on her second one, always confused by it ...and we're life-long Apple product users... she's frequently jealous of how my Fitbit works and displays data in the app.

Beta 200RR

Biggest concern is the physical size of Fenix.
    That's definitely a thing. I can't remember which model I bought my wife, but it was far smaller and sleeker than the Fenix (cheaper too). I like the Fenix because it is rugged as fuck and I smash things.
    Meanwhile the fit-bit is incredibly sleek and seems much easier to wear.

I honestly only wear mine when exercising or traveling. I've gotten quite used to not wearing a watch and find it annoying now. But some of that is because it is so meaty.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's definitely a thing. I can't remember which model I bought my wife, but it was far smaller and sleeker than the Fenix (cheaper too). I like the Fenix because it is rugged as fuck and I smash things.
    Meanwhile the fit-bit is incredibly sleek and seems much easier to wear.

I honestly only wear mine when exercising or traveling. I've gotten quite used to not wearing a watch and find it annoying now. But some of that is because it is so meaty.
    The 5x is much smaller than the 6. I have the 735xt which is pretty cheap but doesn't have all the high end capabilities that the fenix series has. I've had it for over a year and wear that and a fitbit alta hr 24/7. Both work as advertised but it annoys me that fitbit makes you pay for data that they collect from you that Garmin gives you for free.

Anyone use the FitBit?
    He's 18, just get the kid the apple watch that all his friends probably have.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    The 5x is much smaller than the 6.
    Mine is a Fenix 3 HR.

...it annoys me that fitbit makes you pay for data that they collect from you that Garmin gives you for free.
    I wan't aware of that..

Mine is a Fenix 3 HR.

I wan't aware of that..
    I know they do it with sleep data. So you wouldn't have known that haha.

I know they do it with sleep data. So you wouldn't have known that haha.
    hmm, been a Fitbit user since March of 2016, i haven't had to pay for data.

---

as mentioned above, Garmin is on my radar for the next watch, how would the Fenix do for GPS'ing off-road rides? anyone use one for that? right now i export tracked rides and hikes as TCX files from the Fitbit Dashboard then upload to AllTrails for cataloging.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post

---

as mentioned above, Garmin is on my radar for the next watch, how would the Fenix do for GPS'ing off-road rides? anyone use one for that? right now i export tracked rides and hikes as TCX files from the Fitbit Dashboard then upload to AllTrails for cataloging.
    Apparently you aren't a nerd then

If you want your sleeping heart rate or such you have to subscribe to their premium service. This may apply to data in other areas of the app as well, but I'm not sure.

Smart Watch Users-screenshot_20210302-051716-jpgSmart Watch Users-screenshot_20210302-051701-jpg

Garmin connect can be synced to all trails. This means your ride data will be auto uploaded to Garmin connect via bluetooth to your phone and will be transferred to all trails via Garmin connect. No tcx file hustling necessary. And the Garmin watches work great for that. I am guessing that you are riding off road. In that case you'll want to get a wheel speed sensor and pair it to your watch. GPS accuracy in the woods is iffy because of the tighter corners. Having a sensor gets you the actual distance you traveled when setup correctly with your tire size.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

---

I'm looking at the Garmin instinct for that kind of stuff. Apparently the altimeter in the fenix is not accurate/consistent. That would piss me off in an adv watch.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I'm looking at the Garmin instinct for that kind of stuff. Apparently the altimeter in the fenix is not accurate/consistent. That would piss me off in an adv watch.
    I've prolly said this before but I'll be going coros for my next watch. They nailed it with the apex.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/02/...ps-review.html

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    He's 18, just get the kid the apple watch that all his friends probably have.
    That’s what we wound up with but not exactly that reason.

He plays football and lacrosse and wrestles. He can’t really wear any watch for those activities, so smart watch features came to the fore.

Apple now sells three models: 3, SE, and 6. The 3 starts at $199 so they’ve spread their market reach. They were in stock at the stores.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-02-21 at 07:29 AM.

Apparently you aren't a nerd then

If you want your sleeping heart rate or such you have to subscribe to their premium service. This may apply to data in other areas of the app as well, but I'm not sure.
    but, but, i got a patch goddamnit! ... ah, thought you meant sleep data in general ... i can still see Sleep tracking, score, stages (day/30 day/benchmark), estimated oxygen and schedule ... but i do see now that sleeping heart rate and restlessness are down lower on that screen and locked.

i tried Premium free for the 90 day trial but looked like mostly coaching and workouts, didn't add any value for me ... in combination with the sleep data, i can also see heart rate, resting heart rate, cardio fitness score, time in heart rate zones, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    thanks for the heads up, noted. i'm scared to drop mad bills and find it worse than my Ionic, which is obviously no where near the same league of device. we're planning to travel more for moto + camping adventure now that both boys are on 80's.

Beta 200RR

I've prolly said this before but I'll be going coros for my next watch. They nailed it with the apex.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/02/...ps-review.html
    this looks interesting, thanks for heads up, pricing seems way more reasonable ... will research

Beta 200RR

I asked my wife. She said that they used to give the detailed data behind the sleep stuff for "free". I remember when they took it away and made it a premium thing. She was bullshit. Uncharacteristically so. The sleep stuff is most of why she bought the device. She wrote them a sternly worded email. Which for my wife is pretty drastic. That's the kind of bullshit this SaS stuff brings to the table.

Last night I wore my watch to bed to try the sleep tracking stuff out again. It's way better than the last time I tried it. Although I also got the shittiest nights sleep I've experienced in a long time. ... Basically it looks like Smutty's schedule! (How the hell do you live like that?!)

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-02-21 at 09:04 AM.

Garmin connect can be synced to all trails. This means your ride data will be auto uploaded to Garmin connect via bluetooth to your phone and will be transferred to all trails via Garmin connect. No tcx file hustling necessary. And the Garmin watches work great for that. I am guessing that you are riding off road. In that case you'll want to get a wheel speed sensor and pair it to your watch. GPS accuracy in the woods is iffy because of the tighter corners. Having a sensor gets you the actual distance you traveled when setup correctly with your tire size.
    meant to include in Coros response ... cool, this is great to know. yes, off-road rides ... interesting on wheel sensor, i'd image that would still be inaccurate due to all the time your wheels are spinning or not grounded when in the woods. i'll try to find some reviews from dirt riders, i'm mostly concerned with connectivity and tracking that's close, but doesn't have to be exact-exact. i frequently go back and review rides to learn loops or new areas. that can be pretty general but drops would suck. my iPhones were terrible for that.

Beta 200RR

I asked my wife. She said that they used to give the detailed data behind the sleep stuff for "free". I remember when they took it away and made it a premium thing. She was bullshit. Uncharacteristically so. The sleep stuff is most of why she bought the device. She wrote them a sternly worded email. Which for my wife is pretty drastic. That's the kind of bullshit this SaS stuff brings to the table.

Last night I wore my watch to bed to try the sleep tracking stuff out again. It's way better than the last time I tried it. Although I also got the shittiest nights sleep I've experienced in a long time. ... Basically it looks like Smutty's schedule! (How the hell do you live like that?!)
    OK, makes sense then ... i really only use the high-level stats at a glance, hence my no scroll, since i stay up way too late, always have interrupted sleep and hate getting up in the morning. seems graphs aren't going to change that, ever i do like the ability to review the high-level once and a while for free though.

Beta 200RR

meant to include in Coros response ... cool, this is great to know. yes, off-road rides ... interesting on wheel sensor, i'd image that would still be inaccurate due to all the time your wheels are spinning or not grounded when in the woods. i'll try to find some reviews from dirt riders, i'm mostly concerned with connectivity and tracking that's close, but doesn't have to be exact-exact. i frequently go back and review rides to learn loops or new areas. that can be pretty general but drops would suck. my iPhones were terrible for that.
    It's actually pretty good, as you put the sensor on the front wheel. Your riding might be different but a great percentage of the time my front tire is making contact. And when it isn't it is still spinning at a rpm consistent to the ground it is floating over.

It's actually pretty good, as you put the sensor on the front wheel. Your riding might be different but a great percentage of the time my front tire is making contact. And when it isn't it is still spinning at a rpm consistent to the ground it is floating over.
    i only ride Bronco Style, baby.

Beta 200RR

Is this a bike sensor? with the magnet on the spoke and wire on the fork?

Paul_E_D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast