Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Snow tires....

Re: Snow tires....

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    So I just scored a set of OEM wheels with factory TPMS for my wife's Sonata and right now I can get 4 Blizzak WS90 snows installed for about $672 (235/45R18). Does that seem reasonable in your book or should I spend more on a set of Hakkas?
    We haven't had WS90's but we had two Cruze with Hakka R2 and WS80. Had a chance to drive them back-to-back (and another with Altimax Arctics).

I'd put the Blizzaks at about 90% overall compared to the Nokians. The Altimax did well on snow, pretty well on ice, but noisier and more vague on dry or wet roads.

No idea what Nokians would cost in your size.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    No idea what Nokians would cost in your size.
    Having shopped them last year as a potential size for my Lincoln, I remember them being $8xx.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

For reference I'm at $585 installed for 235/55r17 ws80s. So I think thats a fair price for 18s. Tires were 505 and I'm getting them put on at 20 a tire. I usually find barely used Craigslist tires and install myself by hand, so not used to paying mount fee. Had one place quote me 35 a tire to mount/balance.... no thanks.

For the new car I just sprung for aftermarket wheels and figured I'd pay the extra bucks to have proper mount/balance since I plan to have these for a few winters.

1 Not allowed!

Although the previous set of R2’s are not worn out, put on new Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV‘s today on my Outback. Used the OEM rims from my WRX and they look decent. Not sure how they will clear snow build up with all those spokes.

Here’s what the tread looks like.

0 Not allowed!

Here is the car version of the R3. It looks like the tread features are slightly more open on the SUV model and the outer edges are more square. There are some small differences in siping too.

These are a 245 width:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow tires....-20191120_192504-jpg  

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 11-20-19 at 07:58 PM.

They had a set of General Altimax Arctic 12’s there

There are “Norman 7’s” on our 06 Outback 3.0R. Like Continental, Nokian recycles molds for a generation back as a lower-priced brand.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 11-21-19 at 09:47 AM.

Good to see how obsolete the 15" wheel size is and how nobody stocks that size.

0 Not allowed!

Black ice everywhere out in the burbs this AM. Good times!

0 Not allowed!

3 down, 1 to go fo changeover.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Good to see how obsolete the 15" wheel size is and how nobody stocks that size.
    Toyota Corolla, I’m guessing. That’s the tire size for the base model. So you’ll be set until the last Corolla dies in about 2050.

Did you buy 15’s?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 11-21-19 at 10:12 AM.

No. My Corolla is a super-special "S" model and comes with 16" alloy wheels. I got talked into a highly sipped "variable conditions" all-season tire instead. So 16" size to fit the factory wheels. No 2nd set to store or handle. I'm fortunate enough that I am allowed to work remote when the weather really sucks. I'm one of those people that doesn't need to be on the roads.

I was still convinced -1 was the way to go though. 15" packages are a LOT less expensive, both for the wheels and the tires. Tire selection was more than good 'nuf for my tastes. And I like the idea of a thinner tire for winter. I was held up trying to find 15" steelies with the right spacing. Cheapies I found on fleabay were advertised to fit but had what I thought was the wrong offsets. I was ready to order a package from the 'net from tire-rack or discount-tire and presume they were selling me something that would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Black ice everywhere out in the burbs this AM. Good times!
    At least two major accidents on my way in from the north this morning. One guy really sent it off of 495! 1.75 hours door to door for me this morning. Days like this I wonder why I put up with this shit!

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, it was really sketchy in towns that didn't bother treating...

So, I still need to get tires.
    Question for you guys that have experience: How much do I need to worry about the random warm spell with winter tires?

0 Not allowed!

Question for you guys that have experience: How much do I need to worry about the random warm spell with winter tires?
    Not at all. People drive around here year round with snows. They do wear a little faster when temps get to short sleeve weather but driveability is basically the same.

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

The random warm spells we get are usually up to 50, maybe 60?

Don't worry about it. Overall the amount of miles you're adding during that short period are not going to make a big difference. I usually tend to be a little more conscious of how hard I'm on the gas or cornering those days since they may be a little softer, but that's just me (not sure if that really matters much or not). Once the tire warms up to operating temp, I don't think a little change in pavement temp is going to change it a lot.

I've driven down to MD a few times on snows because we head down there for Thanksgiving every year, and the last few years have had some decent snow storms. No big deal. I am trying to hold off putting the brand new blizzaks on the car for another week or two right now (just to not add 1100 miles on them right away), but if the weather warrants it then I will.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    I am trying to hold off putting the brand new blizzaks on the car for another week or two right now (just to not add 1100 miles on them right away), but if the weather warrants it then I will.
    I'm playing snow tire roulette too. My tires are almost worn out and I want to get the most out of them before switching. Snows impact my mileage a bit and at 1500 miles per week right now that adds up.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

People up here run snows all year round if'n they too poor to swap. I see them on a ton of cars that can be identified by love.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I'm playing snow tire roulette too. My tires are almost worn out and I want to get the most out of them before switching. Snows impact my mileage a bit and at 1500 miles per week right now that adds up.
    I was doing it with my truck too, and chickened out. The ATs are almost worn out, but we had one storm that was supposed to dump up to 6 inches a couple weeks ago. I threw the snows on, but didn't really need to in the end. Oh well. I wrapped my last truck around a tele pole in slushy crap on mostly worn out tires back in 2011 (wasn't even dicking around that day). I've vowed to not take that risk again...

Now I've got to debate whether to find a deal over the winter (I might steer back to a more highway tire for the summers), or throw the ATs back on in the spring and use the little bit of them up.

0 Not allowed!

I would usually run mine pretty deep into spring because they do really well during spring heavy rains and melt off too.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I considered just running snows year round. Although I wouldn't expect to get more than 2 years (~30k miles?) out of them. And maybe that's being optimistic?!

I never worried about warm days when running 2 sets. I usually bolted the snows on about this time of year and didn't think about it again until April-ish.

0 Not allowed!

you get rid of the truck?

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Thanks guys. I've been playing roulette myself with a worn set of At tires. Just ordered a set of Hakka LT3s.

1 Not allowed!

I used to put my snows on around Columbus Day because my summer tires started getting sketchy in the cold mornings. I'd notice the tires got soft/gummy/vague on the off ramp on those warm afternoons if I'd been on the highway for a bit. Otherwise they were fine.

Now that I have a car with all seasons I wait until around Veteran's Day and take them off earlier in the spring as well.

0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Thanks guys. I've been playing roulette myself with a worn set of At tires. Just ordered a set of Hakka LT3s.
    Studs or no studs?

0 Not allowed!

Once my Blizzaks got past half wear I'd just leave them on as the studless 'magic' at that point was gone anyways. Damn things still wore like iron even in the summer.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    //15" packages //

(Didnít know you actually had a Corolla, that was a guess!)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Studs or no studs?
    No studs.

0 Not allowed!