Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Snow tires....

Re: Snow tires....

So, my stretch of usually messy back road was a good test of new tires yesterday. Had maybe 8 inches unplowed in the morning and the resulting hard pack in the evening.
    The deep snow performance was pretty good, but the truck definitely favored the ruts over breaking new trail. Really impressed on the untreated hard pack, though. Lots of grip and predictability.
    So far so good with these LT3s.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricky Mike; 12-04-19 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Pretty sure Blizzak's used to advertise that once the tread was below a certain depth, to use them in the summer and finish them off. Something along those lines. Not enough tread for snow, but still a functional tire. And if you're not in deep podwer, the rubber composition means a nearly bald one is still decent on ice, and not the worst in a dusting of snow. They really suffer in slush at that point though.
    All studless snows are similar in that regard. The outer 50% of the tread depth is a different rubber than the rest and is where the studless 'magic' happens. Using either walnut shells or other means the rubber is porous so that it is loaded with micro siping, wear through it and now you're driving on normal sturdier rubber. Wears longer, doesn't have the magic grip.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P

Don’t think Nokian uses the two-compound approach but don’t find any mention pro or con. Bridgestone still does.
    The Blizzak WS-tires' Multicell tread compound comprises the top 55 percent of the tires' tread depth with a standard winter tread compound comprising the remaining 45 percent. When Blizzaks are approximately 50 percent worn, their "snow platform" tread depth indicators "connect" selected shoulder tread blocks to indicate that the Multicell tread compound is almost worn out, and that the enhanced snow and ice performance is about to end.
    Little known fact is that Bridgestone owns 17% of Nokian.

Nokians have a wear indicator molded in. When the tire gets below 4mm (roughly 5/32nds AKA Gixxer72 units) in tread depth, it is no longer legally a snow tire in Europe. They also have two sets of wear bars, one set at 4mm for snow, and then the others at 2/32nd (legal minimum). Those Finns are wicked smaht.

These are the R2 SUV’s we just sold. The “8” was worn off, but not by much as you can see from the depth gauge (10 Gixxer72’s is 7.9mm). How awesome if they went to 11....

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-04-19 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    ...AKA Gixxer72 units...
    That made me laugh!

Our Nissan with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires in the last quarter of their life is still a beast in the snow.
    The wife's Sonata with OEM Micheline Primacy MXM4 tires was not very good at all. WS90s are getting mounted on the winter wheels on Saturday.
    I have Nokian ZLine A/S tires on my MKZ that I wanted to try in the snow once before swapping in the R3s but never got around to it.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Just because the "magic" of the blizzak is gone at 50%, doesn't mean it's just an "all-season" tire after that. It's still a softer compound than most a/s tires out there and typically still has a more aggressive pattern.

I would take a 60 or maybe 70% worn blizzak over most a/s tires out there any day. Especially on just cold/icy pavement where you just need the softer compound (not moving volumes of slush/snow).

0 Not allowed!

Always been pretty happy with the General Altimax Artics and would like to get the 12ís next winter as it will be time for a new set

0 Not allowed!

Just got the WS90s mounted up for the wife's Sonata.

Also, I can now safely say that the Nokian Z-Line A/S tires I have on my AWD MKZ are a small step above useless in the snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow tires....-20191207_234028-jpg  

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; Yesterday at 12:11 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I know this isn't for sale thread, but I haven't made the effort of pictures and stuff. I have 2 full wheel and tire setups with snows. One fit a 2003 BMW X5, it's on ugly wheels and has about half life left and I would sell for $150. The other is a steel wheel setup that fit a 2010 grand cherokee, they are near 75%, blizzaks, and I would sell that set for $300.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

What's the tire size ?

0 Not allowed!

Sullivan Tire is now a Nokian dealer. Their website gives prices by vehicle or tire size. Even if you aren’t buying there it’s quite useful as they include installation. For the OBW we paid $794 for four 225/60x17 R3 SUV. Sullivan charges $840 for them so in the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I know this isn't for sale thread,///
    Spend $2 at an auto parts store for a tread depth gauge, measure them and put them in the ad. Half original tread depth = just about zero life for most winter tires.

And find out the wheel specs from a site like https://www.wheel-size.com/ and get the wheel specs.

Example: a 2010 Grand Cherokee 6 has stock size of 7.5Jx17 rims with 5” bolt pattern, 50.8mm offset and 71.5mm center bore. But 18, 19, and 20” rims were also available. I’d think you’d sell those quickly on CL now that we’ve had the first storm and GC owners learn the OEM tires blow.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; Yesterday at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Half original tread depth = just about zero life for most winter tires.
    +1 on that, my Darkside General Altimax Arctic on my V-strom is at that point, now that I know it works, I'm gonna replace it with a Hakka

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject