Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Snow tires....

Re: Snow tires....

Snows go on usually in November and come off in March/April. No time for anything else and they behave better in the cold.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mine usually go on mid/late Jan and come off at the end of March. This year was an exception, because I bought a new set for a different vehicle.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Just ordered wheels and tires for the new sled. 18x8.5" rims. Pirelli Sotto 3 tires. Hopefully it turns this race car into a decent winter machine.
    Those sound pretty wide man! Might have a bit of float but that means fun....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Maybe a silly question but once their on the car do you guys bother taking your tires off and putting them back on with weather fluctuations?
    Winter tires are designed for low temps but they don’t melt. Until temps are consistently in the 60’sand 70’s you probably aren’t giving up much. Road & Track tested winter tires on a race track.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-track-tested/

“ Most importantly, at the end of a hard session of high-speed lapping, the Wintersports didn't exhibit any measurable or visible wear at all. That settled it for us: there's no reason to slide through winter on second-rate tread. ”

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Those sound pretty wide man! Might have a bit of float but that means fun....

Wide they are. Maybe 18x8? I don't remember. As long as they fit over the monster brakes and don't make the car go sideways we'll be stoked

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

But.... sideways is the fun-ways... Snow tires....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Winter tires are designed for low temps but they don’t melt. Until temps are consistently in the 60’sand 70’s you probably aren’t giving up much. Road & Track tested winter tires on a race track.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-track-tested/

“ Most importantly, at the end of a hard session of high-speed lapping, the Wintersports didn't exhibit any measurable or visible wear at all. That settled it for us: there's no reason to slide through winter on second-rate tread. ”

Cool link, thanks. Yeah I was a bit worried about the 45-60 temps but that makes me feel a little better. Most sunny days have been around 50* on my way in, but leaving work at nights we are well into the 30's. As someone else said, I guess having "snow tires" in my mind is incorrect as "winter tires" is exactly what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    But.... sideways is the fun-ways... Snow tires....

Uh, well, sideways and forward at the same time, yes, but just going sideways instead of forward on track rubber in the snow isn't fun at all.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Uh, well, sideways and forward at the same time, yes, but just going sideways instead of forward on track rubber in the snow isn't fun at all.
    Do some donuts in it in the snow. AWD makes it so it pivots around the stick shift. Foreign feeling the first time.

We will when we get the snows. It's a complete shitshow on the summer tires. The car won't go on flat ground in the snow, nevermind pivot in any predictable fashion.

Paul_E_D

We will when we get the snows. It's a complete shitshow on the summer tires. The car won't go on flat ground in the snow, nevermind pivot in any predictable fashion.
    Hopefully not too many electronic nannies to shut down the fun on the STI. Even if I shut mine off it turns itself back on if I try to have some fun

Just drove in the worst road conditions in memory.

Drove up to Sunapee this afternoon. As we climbed over 1,000 feet elevation, temps dropped to 28. We got some light freezing rain as we got nearer Sunapee.

By the time we were within 4 miles of home, the road was glazed ice. With even partial throttle I could break all for wheels loose. When we came back from Ziggie’s pizza, there was a three way crash (two pickups and a CR-V). You can guess how many of them had winter tires.

Always hate to spend the money, always glad we do.

The main hilly roads in my town froze over tonight before the sanders could get out. Cars were crabbing down the road, some couldn't make it up the hills, and a couple spun out. My car with the R3s felt squirrely but tracked straight, climbed the hills fine, and stopped with only a little fanfare.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

The Jeep is doing well on this stuff, noticed a couple slight movements going over rough roads but otherwise no drama while everyone else was slowing to 1mph and avoiding my road completely. I could light up the rear if desired but had to romp it to do so, stopping distances were increased with ABS lighting off but not horribly.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Just drove in the worst road conditions in memory.

Drove up to Sunapee this afternoon. As we climbed over 1,000 feet elevation, temps dropped to 28. We got some light freezing rain as we got nearer Sunapee.

By the time we were within 4 miles of home, the road was glazed ice. With even partial throttle I could break all for wheels loose. When we came back from Ziggie’s pizza, there was a three way crash (two pickups and a CR-V). You can guess how many of them had winter tires.

Always hate to spend the money, always glad we do.
    Yep. The way I look at it is one accident prevented makes it worth it.

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

I finally picked up the winter wheels for the STi. Should transform this thing into a winter monster. Trying the contis. It was actually hard to find tires in these sizes in stock, so my choices were limited.

Paul_E_D

Those should give you the razor sharp response needed to avoid potholes of death.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

We’ve punched out 45 aspect ratio tires in potholes before (why I went to 16” on the WRX) but this is a first. Punched out a (we think) properly inflated 225/55x17.

Well, i can't get 17s on over the big brakes. These were the smallest rims/tires i could reliably fit.

Paul_E_D

I finally picked up the winter wheels for the STi. Should transform this thing into a winter monster. Trying the contis. It was actually hard to find tires in these sizes in stock, so my choices were limited.

Pics of them mounted on the car along with one with the stock wheels. Wonder which wheels will look "better"?

Grab yourself a relatively narrow snow brush to get in between the spokes of the wheel and knock out the snow that will pack in behind the spokes and around the brake rotor/caliper. My 2.5RS with similarly shaped wheels, the snow liked to pack in there and the ride would go all to hell with the wheels out of balance due to the snow.

Yeah. Snow packing in the wheels was always going to be an issue on this car. The stockers are quite nice. Y spoke design. We figured it would be fun to have something totally different for winter.

Paul_E_D

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Grab yourself a relatively narrow snow brush to get in between the spokes of the wheel and knock out the snow that will pack in behind the spokes and around the brake rotor/caliper. My 2.5RS with similarly shaped wheels, the snow liked to pack in there and the ride would go all to hell with the wheels out of balance due to the snow.
    , for when it gets really frozen on the inside of the rim I normally also keep a plastic no-mar scraper in the car, this or similar
    https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...set-95832.html

Yeah. Snow packing in the wheels was always going to be an issue on this car.
    IF you have time before mounting I'd add a layer or 3 of a quality wax to the inside of the wheel

Beast mode engaged.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 01-22-20 at 04:50 PM.
    Paul_E_D

The stockers are quite nice. Y spoke design. We figured it would be fun to have something totally different for winter.
    Agreed the stockers do look pretty good when doing the side by side comparo. New ones make great looking winter wheels without having to have steel wheels and much more access to remove packed in snow.

They look a lot nicer in person. Smaller wheels are always going to look a little lame side by side with bigger ones

Paul_E_D