Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Results 451 to 475 of 573

Snow tires....

  1. #451
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    14,846

    Re: Snow tires....


    better shot! The look has grown on me.
    Snow tires....-83519493_10157978052157277_4951365923782000640_o-jpg

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  2. #452
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,467

    Re: Snow tires....

    The 2009 WRX came with cast aluminum wheels that weigh 23 lbs each (the forged BBS weigh about 15). They’ve been sitting in storage so coughed up for TPMS and put them on the Outback. Very mundane styling but they’re a better look for an OBW.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #453
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The 2009 WRX came with cast aluminum wheels that weigh 23 lbs each (the forged BBS weigh about 15). They’ve been sitting in storage so coughed up for TPMS and put them on the Outback. Very mundane styling but they’re a better look for an OBW.
    What did it look like with the BBSes on?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  4. #454
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,467

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    What did it look like with the BBSes on?
    BBS are on the WRX. This came with two tone six spokes.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #455
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    BBS are on the WRX. This came with two tone six spokes.
    Ohh my bad, never mind.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  6. #456

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The 2009 WRX came with cast aluminum wheels that weigh 23 lbs each (the forged BBS weigh about 15). They’ve been sitting in storage so coughed up for TPMS and put them on the Outback. Very mundane styling but they’re a better look for an OBW.
    These look better

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #457

    Re: Snow tires....

    Easily could have survived this winter on slicks. Now we are just burning our snows for no reason and I’m so damn busy with work I don’t have time to swap back to all seasons. Ugh

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #458
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,492

    Re: Snow tires....

    With the anticipation of a bunch of 60+ degree days, I put my warm weather wheels on. I'm giving Vredestein Quatrac Pros a try as they are significantly cheaper than the Michelins and Perellis I normally run and they are getting excellent reviews on Tire Rack.

    I want to try them in the snow at least once but if the weather turns ultra snowy again, it only takes about 25 minutes to swap wheels.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 03-02-20 at 06:55 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  9. #459
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    5,130

    Re: Snow tires....

    I've been looking at the Toyo Celsius for the IS. We don't typically drive that car in bad conditions but I did get caught by some ice yesterday morning with the Michelin AS on there didn't exactly inspire confidence. These Toyos seem like a good alternative for a car that doesn't see much winter conditions. And they have good siping for rain.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  10. #460
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    14,846

    Re: Snow tires....

    The contis on the sti have been brilliant. Definitely needed them even if just for the bobsled run that was our driveway. Looks like they can come off this month.

    They are actually fun on cold dry roads as the car can actually get loose at less than life threatening speeds unlike on the firestone summer tires.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  11. #461
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,342

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I've been looking at the Toyo Celsius for the IS. We don't typically drive that car in bad conditions but I did get caught by some ice yesterday morning with the Michelin AS on there didn't exactly inspire confidence. These Toyos seem like a good alternative for a car that doesn't see much winter conditions. And they have good siping for rain.
    My coworker got them a year ago and loves them. Seem to be wearing pretty well to boot.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  12. #462
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,467

    Re: Snow tires....

    Motor 2020 test is out.

    https://motor.no/a/181924

    Studless tires:
    1) 88 points - Continental VikingContact 7 (now available in US)
    2) 80 points - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
    3) 79 points - Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice2
    3) 79 points - Pirelli IceZero Fr
    5) 71 points - Nexen Winguard Ice Plus WH43
    6) 70 points - Michelin X -Ice Snow
    7) 64 points - Bridgestone Blizzak Ice
    8) 54 points - Firemax / Nereus FM805 + / NS805 +

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-21-20 at 07:38 AM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

  13. #463
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Motor 2020 test is out.

    https://motor.no/a/181924

    Studless tires:
    1) 88 points - Continental VikingContact 7
    2) 80 points - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
    3) 79 points - Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice2
    3) 79 points - Pirelli IceZero Fr
    5) 71 points - Nexen Winguard Ice Plus WH43
    6) 70 points - Michelin X -Ice Snow
    7) 64 points - Bridgestone Blizzak Ice
    8) 54 points - Firemax / Nereus FM805 + / NS805 +
    Interesting - thanks for posting. I am not sure those results are in line with the tire rack, but I also think the tirerack has its biases. Did you see that the Bridgestone Blizzak is made in Russia????

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

  14. #464
    suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, MA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Interesting - thanks for posting. I am not sure those results are in line with the tire rack, but I also think the tirerack has its biases. Did you see that the Bridgestone Blizzak is made in Russia????
    Hunter Biden rides on blizzaks.... this all makes sense now.......

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

  15. #465
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,492

    Re: Snow tires....

    Tire Rack doesn't carry Nokians so they aren't included in any of their ratings or reviews.

    The WS90s I put on my wife's Sonata really transformed the car in the winter. We got a great deal on them through BJ's and they were worth every penny.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  16. #466
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Tire Rack doesn't carry Nokians so they aren't included in any of their ratings or reviews.

    The WS90s I put on my wife's Sonata really transformed the car in the winter. We got a great deal on them through BJ's and they were worth every penny.
    Yep, the Blizzak line has been transformative since the originals came out in the early 90's. I had a BMW 318is with no traction control and rear wheel drive in Buffalo, NY for 4 years. No problems whatsoever with the Blizzaks. I have the DM-V2 Blizzaks on my Odyssey and again no issues in the winter. My only complaint over the years was that the Michelin X-ice were better in dry and wet weather while giving up very little in snow/ice traction. So, depending on the car, I have gotten either of these over the years.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

  17. #467
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,467

    Re: Snow tires....

    Mounted 225/60x17 Nokian R3 SUV on Subaru rims and added TPMS for the 2014 Outback last season. Seen above.

    That car got totaled, replaced by a Gen 3 with stock 22/55x17. There is very little front wheel clearance. Although they are only 0.8” bigger, don’t think they’ll fit. Annoying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow tires....-b2c43cc2-64bf-4f5b-8e92-4b409ac30760  

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

  18. #468
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    68
    Posts
    14,628

    Re: Snow tires....

    I like studded Hakks, I drive on gravel roads in the winter

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  19. #469
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,427

    Re: Snow tires....

    Shocked the Blizzaks scored worse then X-Ice.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  20. #470

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Shocked the Blizzaks scored worse then X-Ice.
    Not sure how honest that test is. Or maybe massive changes on the 2020 tires?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #471
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,467

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Shocked the Blizzaks scored worse then X-Ice.
    Continental, Goodyear and Nokian almost always score higher. Bridgestone bought a 19% chunk of Nokian, but has reduced shares to only 3%. Not clear I’d there is any technology transfer.

    Not clear if that model is available in US. They note Durometer was 52: really low for a tire. Makes me think that’s a special Nordic version.

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Not sure how honest that test is. Or maybe massive changes on the 2020 tires?
    Umm, they detail the methodology, give individual scores on each section, and give details of the strengths and weaknesses of each tire?

    The Scandinavian countries (and some Canadian provinces, and the Alps above certain elevations) require winter tires in season. Buyers often look to the Motor tests because they’re the first of the season. This year it doesn’t really matter because the newest tire in the test was introduced in 2018.

    YMMV. For example the Goodyear Ultra Grip is better on dry and wet roads so if you live in Boston they might be a better choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow tires....-28987e27-76bd-4a3e-9f6f-15f6ff16dca9  

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-23-20 at 03:05 AM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

  22. #472
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,427

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Continental, Goodyear and Nokian almost always score higher. Bridgestone bought a 19% chunk of Nokian, but has reduced shares to only 3%. Not clear I’d there is any technology transfer.

    Not clear if that model is available in US. They note Durometer was 52: really low for a tire. Makes me think that’s a special Nordic version.
    Huge fan of Nokians. They are the best I've ever used. XICE ranked near the bottom for me. Haven't tried Continental or Goodyear.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  23. #473
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    68
    Posts
    14,628

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I've never had snow tires, I bought the most aggressive all seasons for my car, goodyear assurance or something? However it's a 5 speed Subaru station wagon so if it doesn't go I don't think "snow tires" would make a difference. They look like snow tires idk maybe some kind of hybrid but you would not believe were this old girl can go.
    it's not so much about going, as control, especially in icy situations

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  24. #474
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,492

    Re: Snow tires....

    There are a number of all-seasons that hold their own in the cold. I use Michelin Defender LTX M/S on our Nissan Armada and it is a monster in the bad weather. It's so good that I haven't felt the need to spend money on winter wheels and tires for it even though it would be even better.

    I had been running pure summer tires on my car which are all but useless in the snow so I have a second set of wheels with Hakka R3s. Because of price I decided to try the Vredestein Quatrac Pros on my summer wheels which have a tread pattern that may do ok in light snow. I'm going to leave them on a little longer into winter to try them out. The sipes have certainly worked well in the wet. We'll see if the compound is up for the cold.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 10-22-20 at 08:28 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  25. #475
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Snow tires....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    There are a number of all-seasons that hold their own in the cold. I use Michelin Defender LTX M/S on our Nissan Armada and it is a monster in the bad weather. It's so good that I haven't felt the need to spend money on winter wheels and tires for it even though it would be even better.

    I had been running pure summer tires on my car which are all but useless in the snow so I have a second set of wheels with Hakka R3s. Because of price I decided to try the Vredestein Quatrac Pros on my summer wheels which have a tread pattern that may do ok in light snow. I'm going to leave them on a little longer into winter to try them out. The sipes have certainly worked well in the wet. We'll see if the compound is up for the cold.
    Let me know how the Quadratrac pro works out in the winter. I have a 335xi with Bridgestone driveguard RFT and a separate winter set. I’ve been thinking of getting non RFT to improve the ride comfort and putting them on my winter wheels since those tires will need replacing soon. I live in Boston and don’t ski, so the winter tires are not an absolute necessity

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •