Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Snow tires....

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Re: Snow tires....

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

A guy showed up here to work one afternoon in a company truck with a pretty nice push lawn mower in the back. He said he found it along the side of the road, so he took it. Funniest parts, the bag still had grass in it, the engine was hot when he got, and there was no gas in it. I figured some guy came walking out of his garage with a gas can in hand and looked down to his yard, "Mother fucker....."
    This just made me think of that.

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Thinking it will climb a tree.
    Not All AWD systems are created equal.

It’s sacrilege to studded tire devotees, but like New England Washington State has highly variable winter weather and a U Washington report states:

The issues surrounding studded tire performance and safety are complex. From the standpoint of traction alone, studded tires, when new, often provide some benefit over other tire types on ice-covered roads when the temperature is near freezing. However, the advent of the new studless tires has diminished the marginal benefit, and recent studies suggest that the infrequent, narrow range of conditions necessary for benefit from studded tires may not outweigh their detrimental effect on traction in dry or wet conditions on certain pavement types. In addition, a host of primary and secondary safety factors are related to studded tire use, many of which are very difficult to quantify, including facets of driver behavior and safety perception.
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Note that study was in 2002, and the top friction tires have made at least four generations of improvements. Nokian has gone from RSI (2005), to R to R2, Michelin to X-Ice 3, Bridgestone to WS80, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-18-17 at 04:26 AM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Not All AWD systems are created equal.

It’s sacrilege to studded tire devotees, but like New England Washington State has highly variable winter weather and a U Washington report states:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Note that study was in 2002, and the top friction tires have made at least four generations of improvements. Nokian has gone from RSI (2005), to R to R2, Michelin to X-Ice 3, Bridgestone to WS80, etc.
    I was not looking specifically for studded snow tires, just snow tires and those were the best deal, by far.

My daughter's RAV4 is from the previous generation to the one tested by CR but I bet it has the same simple 4WD system as the newer generation. My wife has one as well and it's great in snow (with 4 non-studded snow tires). Never tried driving one in snow with all-season tires, but I bet there's a massive performance drop off compared to snow tires and that's why we use snow tires.

I'm certain that other cars are superior in pretty much every measurable way; these are TOYOTAs after all and people don't buy them for their top-tier performance. Despite 9 years/165,000 miles and 7 years/135,000 miles, both of our RAV4s are super reliable and still feel really tight and solid. Our other two Toyotas (12 years/196,000 miles, 8 years/185,000 miles) are similarly reliable, solid and utterly boring. As the guy that has to maintain all these cars, I LOVE Toyotas, they have been really easy to work on and they don't have cam belts, a huge plus for me. They seem to be well-designed for serviceability, especially under the hood. My Duramax GMC is exactly the opposite. That thing is horrible to work on...

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Itís sacrilege to studded tire devotees, but like New England Washington State has highly variable winter weather and a U Washington report states:

on certain pavement types
    that article ASSUMES people driving on pavement, and probably doesn't apply to northern New England winter gravel roads where there is no question in my mind, that studs make a difference, and most of all, don't damage the road

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123