Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Snow tires....

Re: Snow tires....

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Are the General Altimax arctic still a thing?
    According to the General website, they are still made but the largest wheel size they cover is 17" and they don't have a model with the right width and aspect ratio to get me close to the circumference of my stock setup. The right 17" wheel might fit my car but I wouldn't want to chance it via mail order. It looks like General's Altimax Arctic 12 has a close enough 18" size but Tire Rack doesn't carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I ran Yokohama IceGuards for a few years on my FWD SAAB.
    I must have overlooked them but Tire Rack lists the IceGuard IG52C in my size. I'll keep them in mind.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 08-03-18 at 10:27 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I've tried Michelin snows, Yokohama snows, the Artic Maxes and the Hakkas.

All except the Hakkas have been meh IMO.

They're all light years above all seasons and some are fairly impressive at times, but the only ones that have exceeded expectations all around are the Hakkas.

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Time to drag up this thread again. I'm buying a winter tire package from Tire Rack for my MKZ. I'm downsizing to 18" wheels with 245/45R18 tires (factory 18" tire size). There are a handful of tire options and I have no insight into what's good or not so I would like opinions. My options are (run flats not included):

Michelin X-ICE XI3: I'm partial to Michelin for all my other tire needs. I'm concerned about the relatively small grooves in the tread and how it affects its ability to shed snow and water.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM001: Tread looks nice and aggressive. Everything I've found suggests they work well but wear quickly and I rack up a lot of highway miles.

Continental Wintercontact SI: Don't know anything about them.

Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3: Don't know anything about them other than I've had good luck with Pirelli all-seasons in the past.

All these tires cost about the same with the Blizzaks being an outlier on the high side. Due to the miles I rack up, I would sacrifice some capability in extreme conditions in favor of a tire that would last longer. This is my first AWD car and I've made do with mostly FWD vehicles and all-seasons my entire life. I'm sure any of these will be better than what I've used in the past.

What says the horde?
    I've had a set of Pirelli Sottozero's (I think 2). They do not perform in the snow any better then the A/S Pirelli's that came on my Golf.

0 Not allowed!

I run Michelin X-ice on my Mazda3, and General Altimax on my wife's older Mazda3. Hers is more capable, but louder. Mine is still capable, but not invincible. We use my car when we're together. I wanted her to be able to go anywhere with near impunity. Now, she has a job where if the kids have a snow day, she has a snow day.

1 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Nokian introduced WRG4 and Hakka R3 and R3 SUV.

R3 has grit in the compound like the R2, but further lowers rolling resistance and added Aramid fibers in the sidewall, which should help longevity.

Controlled grip, more comfortable driving: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV – peace of mind for the Northern winter / Nokian Tyres

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I've already put the R3s on my short list. In 245/45R18 I can get 4 mounted and balanced for about $1024 (not run flat). Not cheap but definitely not the most expensive option out there.

I still have to do a little homework on wheels and what will fit properly. Until I pull a wheel and check for myself, I believe my car has an 8" wide wheel with a +55mm offset. Most of the aftermarket wheels are +48mm which would push things outward 7mm and I don't want anything to rub.

0 Not allowed!

Check on places like eBay and CL for factory take offs.

We were able to buy Z71 18’s for under $200 each. Lot of yoot going to 20+.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I've been looking and I've only come across singles every now and then. The wheels for Lincoln changed in 2017 and there isn't much out there.

0 Not allowed!

Check wheel-size.com, they have information on the factory wheels. If they'll fit, don't be opposed to drop a wheel size for snows. The extra side wall is nice for winter heaves and holes. Handling suffers though, obviously.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Fwiw I always buy my winter tires on Craigslist or similar. Can usually spend a few hundred on a mounted set vs a thousand plus spare wheels. Had good luck with the ridgeline and the murano

1 Not allowed!
    CCS/LLRS AM #642

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Check wheel-size.com, they have information on the factory wheels. If they'll fit, don't be opposed to drop a wheel size for snows. The extra side wall is nice for winter heaves and holes. Handling suffers though, obviously.
    My car has 19" wheels but the base model has 18s which is what I'm looking for. I'm not confident 17s would fit. Where it stands now is everything for my generation MKZ or Fusion is expensive but there is a large supply of previous generation Fusion wheels for significantly less money. The 2013-2016 Fusions have the same size 18" wheels in terms of width, lug pattern, offset, and center bore, but for the 2017 model year (along with my MKZ) they switched from M12 lugs to M14s. I'm currently looking for an example of a previous generation wheel to see if I can fit a 21mm socket in the lug cavity. If it fits, the wheel should work but I'm unwilling to experiment via mail order.

Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    Fwiw I always buy my winter tires on Craigslist or similar. Can usually spend a few hundred on a mounted set vs a thousand plus spare wheels. Had good luck with the ridgeline and the murano
    I've been digging through Craigslist and have found 19" wheels that might fit and 18" tires. I still have plenty of time before I need to pull the trigger.

0 Not allowed!

So I found a set of previous generation OEM 19" Lincoln MKZ wheels on Craigslist. While intended for M12 lugs, they fit just fine on my car that uses M14s. I got a great deal on them due to the inner rim on a couple of them being dented from the previous owner hitting something. They are currently at a wheel repair shop local to my work getting straightened. Even paying for straightening, I don't have crazy money tied up in the wheels and I don't have to deal with offset or width issues that are common for almost every aftermarket wheel that works on this car.

Since I wanted 18s but ended up finding 19s, I'm going to run 245/45R19 tires (factory is 245/40R19) which will give me an extra 1/2 inch of tire around the wheel vs. the factory one. I've heard enough about Nokian from a number of people that I'll be buying the Hakkapeliitta R3.

1 Not allowed!

Hakkas FTW! Cheat code enabled!

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I've been driving on winters all summer so I'm ready...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by joshk1025 View Post
    I've been driving on winters all summer so I'm ready...

Yeah moms car same thing. But she does <5% highway driving

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Yeah moms car same thing. But she does <5% highway driving
    My daily drive is 2 miles each way on back roads so i do about that. I've only had one hairy incident with them slipping and that was on a curving on ramp going over 60 in rain

0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456