Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Snow tires....

Re: Snow tires....

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Did some looking around for winter tires on my Ram. Plan is to mount the winter tires on my factory 20x8.5" wheels, stock tire size is 275/60R20 then get a set of 22x10 SRT10 wheels for the remaining 3 seasons. In searching Discount Tire the only snow tire that is in that size are the Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2. Anyone have any experience with those? Anyone have any thoughts on other options to roll snows on dubs?
    If they make them on the size you want get the Hankook Dynapro. Throw them on, drive year round with no worries.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Some Dynapro’s have SS rating, some do not. They have 13-16/32nd tread depth when new: their bad weather performance seems to degrade rapidly as they wear.

Nokians have two sets of “bumps” molded in. The taller set means they are no longer functional as snow tires. The lower ones are the standard 2/32nd.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Anybody have any VW/audi specific rims laying around they want to sell?
    i need snows for my VW GLI, and i really dont want to run the stock 18s all winter as they have rubberbands for sidewalls.

Sold mine to a coworker who's running the poop out of them on his Passat.
    I fitted 16" OE steelies to mine. Found them for low money on tire-rack one year. OE was great as I didn't need to screw with a 2nd set of lug-bolts. VW uses a weird seat on their lugs. Most aftermarket stuff will require you buy lugs just for those wheels. IIRC 16's were as small as I could go and still clear the larger brakes. (Mine was a Jetta Sportwagen SEL, which was kind of like a GLI/GTI trim in the wagon.) Base SE JSW's fitted 15's and I think those wouldn't fit. So be careful. IIRC almost every trim except the base SE had the larger brakes, even the TDI. ... Moral here is you're probably looking at 16's or bigger.

I found there were tons of affordable tire choices in 16". Fewer in 17.
    That's probably changed.

On this subject I suppose. Anyone know anyone looking to unload a snow setup that would fit a 2010 Corolla S? I'm probably just going to fit a new set of all-seasons and run with it. But I'd consider a snow setup if someone's looking to unload.

Ive got a set of general artimaxs that came of my 2015 chevy volt sizes are215/55R17

have about 6/32 of thread left

Speaking of winter tires, does anyone know anything about "performance" winter tires?

I just scored a set of winter wheels for a used BMW I bought recently, and they come with Goodyear UltraGrip Performance winter tires, about 80% tread.

I've only used Nokian Hakkapeliittas in the past (which have always been fantastic), am I going to be sliding all over the place with these Goodyears?

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

The biggest issue with performance winter tires is the width. Wide tires are generally not good snow tires as snow doesn't pump out from under them the way water does. So wide tires will float up on the snow. They are a better compound than normal tires for cold weather driving and generally can handle water better and slush. They just give better traction in the winter than normal performance tires while giving you some performance attributes on dry pavement vs. regular snows.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post

I've only used Nokian Hakkapeliittas in the past (which have always been fantastic), am I going to be sliding all over the place with these Goodyears?
    Compared to Nokians? Yes.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Good to know, thanks. I'll try them out when the snow falls but I'll stay out of the deep stuff...

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Sold mine to a coworker who's running the poop out of them on his Passat.
    I fitted 16" OE steelies to mine. Found them for low money on tire-rack one year. OE was great as I didn't need to screw with a 2nd set of lug-bolts. VW uses a weird seat on their lugs. Most aftermarket stuff will require you buy lugs just for those wheels. IIRC 16's were as small as I could go and still clear the larger brakes. (Mine was a Jetta Sportwagen SEL, which was kind of like a GLI/GTI trim in the wagon.) Base SE JSW's fitted 15's and I think those wouldn't fit. So be careful. IIRC almost every trim except the base SE had the larger brakes, even the TDI. ... Moral here is you're probably looking at 16's or bigger.

I found there were tons of affordable tire choices in 16". Fewer in 17.
    That's probably changed.

On this subject I suppose. Anyone know anyone looking to unload a snow setup that would fit a 2010 Corolla S? I'm probably just going to fit a new set of all-seasons and run with it. But I'd consider a snow setup if someone's looking to unload.
    I'm not sure if these would fit, but I've got winter tires in great shape (195/65/15) on steel 5 lug universal rims.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

“Performance Winters” were developed for Europeans who drive in Alpine areas where Winter tires are required, but get there on the AutoBahn at 80-130mph. They have since become popular with folks that don’t regularly drive on snow covered roads, which is pretty much everyone S of Concord, NH and many of those North of there.

They tend to have less tread depth but have true winter compounds and lots of sipes. Their deep snow performance may be worse than deep winters, but their dry and wet road performance is better. Their snow and ice stopping is very good, and they will help you get moving in those conditions as well. Most RWD cars benefit greatly from 100-300 lbs in the trunk: you know, one or two wives.....

As far as wider tires being worse: that depends. I had 225/45r17 WRG2’s for the WRX, and 205/55r16 Hakka R2’s. Never got stuck with the WRG2’s, and the taller, narrower R2’s are much worse on dry roads: have to be much more chill in the corners. I did punch out a number of sidewalls with the 45 aspect tires in potholes so don’t use them anymore.

Frankly if the vehicle doesn’t have a lot of ground clearance, put performance winters on and call it a day. One of the reasons I mostly drive an Outback in winter is the extra couple inches of ground clearance: R2’s don’t have much traction when they aren’t touching the ground.

Here’s a tread comparison between Nokian WRG2 “All Weather” tires (L) versus Hakka RSI.

Just about the biggest difference is that the WRG2 has a rounded outside edge, while the Hakka is flat for maximum contact patch, at the loss of higher cornering limits.

We had a Honda Accord with WRG2’s and they worked very well in snow. Lots of people down the east coast use them in lieu of Hakkas as they are looking for emergency snow performance.

Cliff Notes: most people S of Concord will be better served with WRG2/3/4.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-03-18 at 01:09 PM.

Just ordered a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV yesterday for honda ridgeline. 245/65R-17 for $557 shipped. simpletire.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Just ordered a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV yesterday for honda ridgeline. 245/65R-17 for $557 shipped. simpletire.com
    Thanks for the site reference, Discount Tire doesn't carry Nokian and I was having a bit of difficulty finding the Rotiiva AT elsewhere. SimpleTire has them at $145 each with free shipping. I would prefer to give my money to the local Nokian dealer, but they quoted me $260 per tire and won't come off that number.

G'man, thanks for the recommendation, after reading many reviews it looks like this is the best option. Although now I have to be an adult and not purchase the SRT10 wheels

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Getting so excited to put the winter wheels on in a couple of months...

When do you guys wait to do it? I'm usually December 1st thru April 15th

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

now retired LLRS AM #642

Depends on the weather. If it's getting cold, I'll do it at thanksgiving to get out of doing dishes. But if it's warm, I'll wait til Christmas.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Info
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    no savings at simple tire. the General Altimax Arctic price for a single 205/50-17 is $40 higher than walmart and $50 higher than what I paid at a local mom & pop when I went darkside with my V-strom

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Snow tires....

Always ran snow tires on all of my vehicles until about two years ago, I drive mostly the city where they over salt and plow often...even with the rear wheel Drive V-8 she does great on skinny all season tires rated highly for wet and slush. BFG Comp 2s. Liked em so much tossed a set on girlís subie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by scottieducati; 10-06-18 at 09:13 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    Getting so excited to put the winter wheels on in a couple of months...

When do you guys wait to do it? I'm usually December 1st thru April 15th
    When it was a choice between max performance summer tires and winter performance tires, I changed as soon as my morning commute was consistently in the 40s...usually mid-October. Now I'm using all-seasons or winters, so I'll stretch the season deeper on all-seasons and take the winters off sooner in the spring. Probably change around Veteran's day.

Last edited by golden chicken; 10-06-18 at 10:57 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    no savings at simple tire. the General Altimax Arctic price for a single 205/50-17 is $40 higher than walmart and $50 higher than what I paid at a local mom & pop when I went darkside with my V-strom
    Nokian doesn’t allow mail order suppliers to discount them, so they are less expensive at almost any dealer. Some people prefer mail order.

TireRack would love to sell the line, but Nokian thus far has protected local dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Depends on the weather. If it's getting cold, I'll do it at thanksgiving to get out of doing dishes. But if it's warm, I'll wait til Christmas.
    Same here. Usually closest oil change around thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Always ran snow tires on all of my vehicles until about two years ago, I drive mostly the city where they over salt and plow often...even with the rear wheel Drive V-8 she does great on skinny all season tires rated highly for wet and slush. BFG Comp 2s. Liked em so much tossed a set on girl’s subie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ya, big difference between metro suburbia and northern New England where half the driving is on frozen hardpack snow on gravel roads, during storms hidden under the depth of snow, nothing works like a studded Hakk in those conditions

used to be safer in storms than it is now, everyone had winter tires, that all went to hell with the advent of all season radials, more than ever, ya hafta watch out for the other guy, even if you got the best tires, the other guy doesn't

I have never been one to think laws are good, but I think we should follow the lead of Quebec

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Back in my day we didn’t rely on such golden age fallacies!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Back in my day we didnít rely on such golden age fallacies!
    This is one of the best comments I've ever read

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk