Starters all on ebay

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

iTrader Score

Re: Snowblower

Seafoam won't cure tight valves or a completely blocked passage. It's good shit, but it's not a miracle worker. Unit gets periodic seafoam already, and I added a shut off 8 years ago along with always draining the carb via the bowl instead of just running 'dry' as that still leaves some in the bowl.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

iTrader Score

Just once let the seafoam gas soak in there for like 3 or 4 days it takes that long to dissolve the gum

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    My 20 yr old Yard Machines finally nope'd out of it's first storm last night. Would. Not. Start. 120v electric start has never fired it up for me, but gave it a try and I'm pretty certain the starter is fried. I have spark, I have some compression, suspect pilot circuit in the carb is gummed up. Given it's behavior in the past couple of years I'm guessing the valves are starting to recede too far into the block and I'm running out of clearance. No adjustment available, you have to replace the valves once they tighten up, assuming your seats aren't gone too, which this motor apparently is known for eating. Diag tear down this weekend, may repower the machine with a Harbor Freight Predator motor or just retire it.
    If it's a Tecumseh 8 HP to 10 HP engine, you can get a new carburetor with gaskets and all the linkages for it on ebay for 10 bucks, including shipping. I keep a spare carb in my garage in case friends or family need one. Matter of fact, I just ordered one today to replace the spare which I plan to install on my 5000 watt generator this weekend. It ran a little funny with no load the last time I used it. FWIW, 10 bucks is less than a rebuild kit and these cheap carbs work great.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    If it's a Tecumseh 8 HP to 10 HP engine, you can get a new carburetor with gaskets and all the linkages for it on ebay for 10 bucks, including shipping. I keep a spare carb in my garage in case friends or family need one. Matter of fact, I just ordered one today to replace the spare which I plan to install on my 5000 watt generator this weekend. It ran a little funny with no load the last time I used it. FWIW, 10 bucks is less than a rebuild kit and these cheap carbs work great.
    Link to the eBay listing?

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Link to the eBay listing?
    here's the one I just bought: Carburetor Carb for Tecumseh HM90 8HP 9HP 10HP Engine Mower 5000w Generator | eBay

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

hell, you can get a genuine Honda carb for not much more

Genuine Honda Carburetor 16100-ZL8-H02 Carb Fits HS520 HS 520 Snowblower OEM | eBay

I bought one for the Honda GX160 engine on mt ToeHoe for $26, directly from my local Honda dealer

makes no sense to rebuild or even clean a carb these days, when you can spend less than $30, and be done with it in the 10 minutes it takes to unbolt and replace

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Just once let the seafoam gas soak in there for like 3 or 4 days it takes that long to dissolve the gum
    SEAFOAM CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!

Or, more specifically, seafoam can't correct for zero valve clearance. Going to be adding up the cost of all the various items I know it needs plus the valve job and deciding if I give it new life or shop for it's replacement.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / ??? - 2009 XC-W 300

iTrader Score

SEAFOAM CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!

Or, more specifically, seafoam can't correct for zero valve clearance. Going to be adding up the cost of all the various items I know it needs plus the valve job and deciding if I give it new life or shop for it's replacement.
    When the aluminum bore wore out on my 5000 watt generator, I was able to get a brand-new, iron-sleeved 10 HP Tecumseh short block for 100 bucks and free shipping on ebay. I also bought a gasket kit at the same time and simply moved all the good parts onto the new short block, which is really easy work. Not sure if those deals still exist, but it worked out great for me and was much cheaper than a new engine.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

It's more the rest of the rig I'm inspecting than the motor. Belts, scraper bar, how bad are the rust blooms on the chassis, friction disk has seen serious abuse, etc. And once repaired I still can't mount a light on it or heated grips. In short, is it worth spending $200 to $300 or more on a 15 year old Home Depot special?

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

iTrader Score

It's more the rest of the rig I'm inspecting than the motor. Belts, scraper bar, how bad are the rust blooms on the chassis, friction disk has seen serious abuse, etc. And once repaired I still can't mount a light on it or heated grips. In short, is it worth spending $200 to $300 or more on a 15 year old Home Depot special?
    in short, NO

not worth more than $100 if that, if you have to spend $$ and time

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject