Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9293940414243444546474849
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1210

Snowblower

Re: Snowblower

I have a 30" Ariens Platinum I bought in 2015. It's not an SHO. For 2015 they offered a non SHO platinum model with the 369cc engine. Until now, I hadn't even come close to the limit of this machine. This most recent storm however, has revealed where things can get a little dicey.

The problem I ran into is that the snow was up to the very top of the bucket and it seems the auger couldn't clear it. As I chugged along in the slowest gear, the snow would start to stack in front of the machine to the point where it was acting as a plow. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's because the auger wasn't clearing the bucket fast enough, or if it had more to do with the consistency of the snow. This storm resulted in a layer effect in the snowpack (at least where I live). The first few inches were heavy and wet, the middle 12 or so was light and fluffy, and the top was capped of with several inches of the wet stuff. My theory is that the heavy wet stuff was sliding on top of the fluff in the middle, leading to the stacking effect. I just chugged through it and had to make two passes to get the driveway 100% clean. One pass in the slowest gear, and another in the fastest. The second pass took very little time. In the end it added about 15 minutes to what would have otherwise been an hour to clear my 180 foot driveway.

The previous storm (a week ago) was all heavy wet snow and it was a mere 3 inches below the top of the bucket on the snow blower. This is the most wet snow I've personally ever seen. It was perfectly manageable as long as I stayed in the slowest gear.

Other than this most recent storm, it's never taken me more than an hour to get my driveway 100% clean. A typical 6 to 8 inches is usually done in 30 to 40 minutes. It only takes up to an hour in extreme circumstances where we get a foot or more. Even then, if it's light and fluffy it goes pretty quick. I always wait until the end of the storm as I'm not one to go out multiple times to "keep up" with the snow.

Power has NEVER been a problem. Even in the heaviest and deepest snow, it still throws it plenty far with no clogging issues. The machine does ride up in the snow banks but I don't have a weight kit. Usually I just let it ride up, back up, and hit it again. In this recent storm the bank at the end of my driveway was up to my chest. I had to back up three times to break through. Once I was through, I was able to eat away at the rest of the bank with ease.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Dropping coin on a Ariens wheeled 30"Platinum SHO.... 1600 OTD I'm a little excited.....
    Nice. That model has the LCT 414cc with 20 lb ft of torque.

Make sure to get a couple of spare shear pins if they don’t come with them. It probably has two.

Don’t assume the dealer has set the skid height to spec: mine did not. Takes two minutes.

There’s definitely a break in and our machine seems to have more power after 5-6 hours use.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 03-16-18 at 09:52 AM.
    "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.”
    Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

There’s definitely a break in and our machine seems to have more power after 5-6 hours use.
    If it's anything like mine was, it will also burn a ton of gas the first few times you use it. It took almost two full tanks to clear my driveway the first couple times I used mine and it was in 8 - 10 inches of snow. Now, even in the huge snow we had the last two storms, I had to fill up at the very end. I was literally 5 minutes shy of finishing the job when I ran out clearing for the last storm.

I wish I waited another year. Now you can get the 420cc SHO for almost the same price I paid form my 369cc non-SHO. The 369cc motor is plenty, but I would love the higher impeller speed and the extra CC's of the 420 might be necessary to spin it faster without losing torque through the higher ratio in the auger.

0 Not allowed!

High maintenance priss

I've had a new Honda HSS28AWD (wheeled) for 1.5 seasons and not a fan. It bogs down sooner than I'd expect, have to go pretty slow. Fit/finish/features are awesome, but if it can't haul ass thru less than bucket height: embarrassing for the money. Sounds like Ariens is the one to have.

I've heard that the latest machines (Honda) are neutered due to emissions. Folks have upped the main jet and noticed significant improvements. Haven't tried it yet.

0 Not allowed!

Anyone hear anything about the fuel injected Ariens models?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    Anyone hear anything about the fuel injected Ariens models?
    Insanely expensive with no other advantage other than if you forget to drain them and/or stabilizer it’s not a big deal.

0 Not allowed!

Got an 8' plow mounted on my truck today. Immediately fucked the lawn up.

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Insanely expensive with no other advantage other than if you forget to drain them and/or stabilizer it’s not a big deal.
    Where “Insanely expensive” equals MSRP $300 more than the carbed model. For an application like a snow thrower that pretty much runs full throttle all the time, not sure it will be worth it to most users as that $1,699 or $1,799 will get you a Platinum SHO 30 with the LCT 414cc.

In the meantime my neighbor has his machine back to the dealer every season (because he uses ethanol fuel without stabilizer) at $100-150 a whack. Can’t complain as we wind up doing his sidewalk driveway, then he buys me beer.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 03-19-18 at 07:21 PM.
    "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.”
    Richard Feynman.

Snowblower

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Dropping coin on a Ariens wheeled 30"Platinum SHO.... 1600 OTD I'm a little excited.....
    i have a 30 platinum sho + a weight kit, tire chains, composite skid shoes and chain tensioners...the only thing i hate about it is the chute direction joystick and the chute angle control...the crank i find to be more effective than the joystick and the chute angle control should have to go in and down to lock it in...vibrations when the cable is tight cause it to pop out sometimes...always kill it with the fuel shutoff add some seafoam...starts first or second pull

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 03-20-18 at 03:04 PM.
    bike: FOR SALE: 2010 Bonneville SE 1,257 miles
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I have a 2014 model year Ariens Platinum 30 (non-SHO) with the 414cc LCT motor. Starts 1st or 2nd pull every time. The first year I had it, there were some problems adjusting to the "Auto-Turn", but a pair of the polymer (plastic) skids solved that with aplomb. Best thing I could have done.

The joystick for chute aiming sucks compared to the simple crank on my son's 2015 "special edition" Deluxe 28+ with the same beast of a motor. Small fuel tank on these, but I have only run out of gas once. That was the period in 2015 between the 3rd week of January and end of February when snow just kept coming every 3 or 4 days with no melting in-between. I haven't needed chains nor weights. Rarely does it ride up. It throws most types of snow clear across my street into my neighbor's yard, the guy I can't stand. Since he never bothers with snow removal on that side of his property, he has no clue.

This machine has been absolutely worth the expense. No question. My other two neighbors with snowblowers (one a newer, small model Cub Cadet the other a older 10HP and newer 12ft/lb Crapsmans) just stand there in awe as mine works without even breathing hard. Love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snowblower-005-jpg  

1 Not allowed!
    2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White