Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14344445464748495051525354
Results 1,326 to 1,344 of 1344

Snowblower

Re: Snowblower

Weird snow here. Ground must be quite warm as the snow is light and fluffy on top and wet and heavy underneath. Nothing stuck within ~8" of the foundation.. then there's 10-12 or so. Looking at the forecast I'm not even going to bother roof raking.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    12" of the wet, heavy stuff down on the south coast. My Ariens Deluxe 28-SHO did well, but certainly not flawless. Cutting through the plow drifts I had to feather the clutch quite a bit to keep it slowed down enough to blow snow instead of pushing it. If I had this purchase to do over again I would have bought the Platinum 24 SHO at similar money and sacrificed width for more tons/hr.
    I have similar feelings about my Troy-Built 30" machine. I bought it with the expectation that I could do the throat of my driveway in just 2 passes (out, back, out, back.. done). Doesn't work out this way. I wish I'd bought a smaller, better built machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Getting the carb tuned up on the Troy-Bull now. I think it is just getting some crap from the tank occasionally making it surge a little. The old thing is a tank, but the secondary impeller, I feel, is too small. It is very wide and deep, handles a ton of snow, but doesn't throw it as far as I'd like. It will just get about 6" of snow fully across my 2 car wide driveway. I'm going to do the impeller mod this off season and see if that helps next winter. But the way this thing is built, it's a keeper. Might have to get a Briggs v-twin and big pulley on the engine to speed things up a bit.
    I am having similar problems with mine surging. Purrs under load. Notsomuch at idle. I just fed it some sea-foam in the hopes it clears without further intervention.

I feel exactly the same re; the small impeller. I feel like the motor has more than enough power. But the bucket can easily over-whelm the thrower.

Also the drive speeds are idiotic. 1 is usually too slow and 2 is almost always too fast. 3+ just never gets used. I've tried adjusting it and just can't get it right. I'd like 2 to be your normal clearing speed, 1 to be for packed plow crap and 3 or 4 to be for clearing those ~2-3" dustings quickly.

What is this auger kit?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

What is this auger kit? - It is basically a set of 4 pliable paddle blade extensions that you bolt on to the impeller. I made a set out of an old truck mudflap. My old Ariens went from throwing snow 5-6 feet, to throwing heavy wet snow 20-25 feet! They can heat up (and wear down your housing!) if you make them fit too tightly, but they will eventually wear down to size.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by gregp; 03-04-19 at 04:04 PM.

Strangely enough, for the first time, my ST1032 had been running like a champ but 3/4 of the way through this morning, I heard a grinding noise, stopped the machine and noticed that the worm shaft looks crooked going into the gear box??? Any initial ideas? I'm hoping that it just lunched the brass gear.................

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Strangely enough, for the first time, my ST1032 had been running like a champ but 3/4 of the way through this morning, I heard a grinding noise, stopped the machine and noticed that the worm shaft looks crooked going into the gear box??? Any initial ideas? I'm hoping that it just lunched the brass gear.................
    U prob need to rebuild the gearbox or get a new one

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    What is this auger kit? - It is basically a set of 4 pliable paddle blade extensions that you bolt on to the impeller. I made a set of of an old truck mudflap. My old Ariens went from throwing snow 5-6 feet, to throwing heavy wet snow 20-25 feet! They can heat up (and wear down your housing!) if you make them fit too tightly, but they will eventually wear down to size.
    That's why I use these
    Amazon.com : MTD 4 Pack Genuine 735-04033 Rubber Center Auger Pad Fit Bolens Craftsman Huskee : Garden & Outdoor
    And space them with a piece of cardboard from a cereal box..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Sounds to me like your augers might be rusted onto the auger shaft so the shear pins wouldn't work. If the shear pins don't work the auger gearbox or drive shaft will break instead of the shear pins. I know of two people that happened to recently.

This is why the augers usually have a grease fitting on them. Keep 'em greased if you can.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I am having similar problems with mine surging. Purrs under load. Notsomuch at idle. I just fed it some sea-foam in the hopes it clears without further intervention.
    Your idle jet is plugged. Long brass jet, looks like it should be an external adjustment but it's not, unscrew it, clean, make sure you can see light through the tiny ports, reinstall and the surging should stop. if you look at the metal around the carb, you'll likely have a sticker over a hole that is perfectly placed to unscrew that jet without removing the carb from the machine or taking the tins off.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

+1,000,000 on the mudflaps. i have this on all my machines. I would not go without even on a new machine

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Along with breaking a lot of shear pins, the other thing I didn’t like about the Honda was the 19.5” high housing. A local guy sells an add-on housing which brings it up higher and squares off the front. First substantial snow in Boston this year, worked well.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    ...and sacrificed width for more tons/hr.
    Buy the minimum width you can live with and the largest engine you can afford. When it comes to EOD piles, no one thinks "I wish I had saved money on a smaller engine!"

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Also the drive speeds are idiotic. 1 is usually too slow and 2 is almost always too fast. 3+ just never gets used. I've tried adjusting it and just can't get it right. I'd like 2 to be your normal clearing speed, 1 to be for packed plow crap and 3 or 4 to be for clearing those ~2-3" dustings quickly.
    the reason I will never again own one that is not hydrostatic

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I agree completely! Set your speed so that the snow load fully opens the governor and enjoy your machine working at its maximum capacity.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I have the opposite problem I have with the bull, yesterday's snow I did in 4th gear out of 5. Only had to pump the clutch once at the end pass. 5th gear is not fast enough for transport.
    That's one thing I like about my old MTD track unit. I can set the height in transport, put it in 4th and lock down the drive handle, point it at my neighbor's driveway and send it on its way while I go grab my shovel. I can usually catch up before it hits something.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

My kid joined me while we snowblowed the whole driveway last night. She was mesmerized.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

anyone put on a smaller pulley wheel on the stage 2 side. been thinking of doing that to get more speed out of the stage 2 to throw wicked far and chuck more snow in relation to the forward speeds.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Why stop there? Why not a BX with hydrostatic and a hydraulic thrower attached.. and maybe a cab too!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    anyone put on a smaller pulley wheel on the stage 2 side. been thinking of doing that to get more speed out of the stage 2 to throw wicked far and chuck more snow in relation to the forward speeds.
    There's several videos on that if you search. The two issues, horsepower, finding the correct belt to match the new pulley. Spinning the impeller faster will add more load to the engine. If you have excess power, it won't be an issue, if you don't you might have to sacrifice lbs/hr for throw distance. From what I've seen on the belt issue is auto parts stores don't carry umpteen thousand belt sizes anymore because modern cars are serpentine belts. Going in and just grabbing a handful of belts to find the one that fits is a difficult option. Best results have been at HVAC parts suppliers as those fan belts are the same and have a better selection.

0 Not allowed!

can't just wrap a string around the pulley and measure?

0 Not allowed!
    Gino

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    can't just wrap a string around the pulley and measure?
    You can use a thick rope to get you close, but I've never had great success. But I'm not great at the measure twice cut once thing. I'm more the measure as many times as you want, you're still going to fuck it up and need extra stock...

0 Not allowed!