Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1535454647484950515253545556575859 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1461

Snowblower

Re: Snowblower

Doing maintenance on the mighty 2004 STE1124 Pro then it’s going up for sale locally: want to sell it to someone in the neighborhood who will help with the sidewalks.

11-1/2 rated Tecumseh OHV engine (that’s a bullshit number but they have 14-15 lb ft torque), automotive style differential with locking, cast iron auger drive housing, heated grips, etc. Great machine but we’ve switched to two hydrostatic drive tracked machines, this Honda and an Ariens RapidTrak.

The Honda has been a good little machine for the city. The chute is pretty small but throws a long way and is pretty easy to aim. The bucket was ridiculously low, but a guy in North Andover sells and extension so we can use it on piles now. Also adjusted the skids down and went to stronger shear pins so we aren’t constantly replacing them. Honda has gone to an actual shear pin on their new model.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-04-19 at 10:53 PM.

I want a retractable wing that comes out the side of the hopper to grab the big crumbles that always fall to the side and leave those little hedge rows.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Depending where in Boston and what the land maintenance is, I may have interest.

My contact info is in my user profile if you wish to discuss.
    Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see it? I can PM you if that is what you meant. Marcella Street in Roxbury, yard work is general mowing, clean ups, and one-offs. Ideally more of a property manager type role.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The guys in Savin Hill stay there. Driving around doesn’t pay. My son literally walks our snow thrower over to the neighbors.

So depending on what neighborhood, try a listing in the local NextDoor community or the neighborhood FaceBook page.
    I think that is exactly the trouble I'm running in to. There is a crew that does a ton of homes on my street, but I was happy to do it myself when I lived there and never got their info. I'm going to keep on digging to try to figure out who that is - for some reason I never though of the facebook page.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

I sold a good one to a friend for $250, but they probably run up to $400. They were made for many years and could be anywhere from a few years to 30 years old. The oldest ones have white painted engines. In the 90’s they went to a black painted engine and squared-off housing. This one was new in ‘97 and had a replacement engine under warranty in ‘98. Newer ones have taller chutes. Really old ones had turf tires with chains, newer ones had Snow Hogs. If you get the model # and serial # you can find out exactly how old it is.
    Guess I didn't do too bad at $125 then.

It's newer in the sense that it has a black engine and SnoHogs. Seller thought maybe a 2000 model year. I tried to search online for the DoM but have not found anything. Is there a specific website that has this information?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Has anyone researched best/cheapest place to get Ariens shear pins online?
    $14 for 3 bolts on amazon...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N25STVC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Guess I didn't do too bad at $125 then.

It's newer in the sense that it has a black engine and SnoHogs. Seller thought maybe a 2000 model year. I tried to search online for the DoM but have not found anything. Is there a specific website that has this information?
    Think you have to call Ariens customer service for year. For most parts it doesn’t really matter: Ariens has a lot of backwards < - > forwards compatibility.

Never got a carb rebuild kit to work: new carbs are dirt cheap. Those motors are sensitive to low oil so keep it topped off.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Has anyone researched best/cheapest place to get Ariens shear pins online?
    I believe Lowes stocks them for about $2.50/each.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    Or less than $3 each at any dealer or Home Depot. Some sell the Sten aftermarket bolts for $1.50.

Note that Ariens changed the bolts slightly about 10 years ago. The newer ones have a black coating.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-05-19 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I believe Lowes stocks them for about $2.50/each.
    Or less than $3 each at any dealer or Home Depot. Some sell the Sten aftermarket bolts for $1.50.

Note that Ariens changed the bolts slightly about 10 years ago. The newer ones have a black coating.
    yea, much cheaper than amazon...i know the part numbers in my owners manual were wrong...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Ca...7507/309826884

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ariens-Stee...ins/1000102413

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 12-05-19 at 02:07 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Hey, kids! Don’t try this at home!

https://whdh.com/news/emergency-pers...y-in-lawrence/

A Lawrence man who got his hand caught in his snowblower Tuesday was rescued by Lawrence firefighters — who then stayed to shovel his driveway.

David Joslin said he made an unwise decision to reach into the chute of his snowblower in order to clear it out.

“I should’ve known better but I wasn’t thinking at the time,” Joslin said. “I put my hand at the top of the chute and when I did it sucked my hand right in.”

After a 911 call, Lawrence fighters from Engine 6 arrived, dismantled the snowblower and freed Joslin’s hand.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-05-19 at 02:09 PM.

Isn't "Lawrence Man" kind of like "Florida Man?"

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Isn't "Lawrence Man" kind of like "Florida Man?"
    Pretty close.

Anyone browsing the classifieds, see a vehicle. Oh, that's a decent deal! Check location: Lowell/Lawrence.

Nope. Pass. It's beat to shit.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Think you have to call Ariens customer service for year.
    So it's not quite a year 2000 as thought/ stated by the seller.

This machine was produced in June 1988.

At least it's in the last serial # block on the parts diagrams...

0 Not allowed!

The intake manifold didnít align very well with the block, so so ported it with a Dremel. No idea what if any improvement there was.

Be sire to check the auger gearbox for lube. The specified Ariens lube is different for the aluminum cases so get the right stuff.

I may even have the dealer service manual, Iíll look.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-05-19 at 05:06 PM.

Lifer

So it's not quite a year 2000 as thought/ stated by the seller.

This machine was produced in June 1988.

At least it's in the last serial # block on the parts diagrams...

I have a white engine Ariens so older than yours and it’s still kicking ����
    Snowblower-1031dcdd-295c-49c6-86f5-07ad498647b2

1 Not allowed!

The intake manifold didn’t align very well with the block, so so ported it with a Dremel. No idea what if any improvement there was.

Be sire to check the auger gearbox for lube. The specified Ariens lube is different for the aluminum cases so get the right stuff.

I may even have the dealer service manual, I’ll look.
    you're the only person I know that did a port and polish on a snowblower. Don't get me wrong, not a bad thing...

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Doing maintenance on the mighty 2004 STE1124 Pro then it’s going up for sale locally: want to sell it to someone in the neighborhood who will help with the sidewalks.

11-1/2 rated Tecumseh OHV engine (that’s a bullshit number but they have 14-15 lb ft torque), automotive style differential with locking, cast iron auger drive housing, heated grips, etc. Great machine but we’ve switched to two hydrostatic drive tracked machines, this Honda and an Ariens RapidTrak.

The Honda has been a good little machine for the city. The chute is pretty small but throws a long way and is pretty easy to aim. The bucket was ridiculously low, but a guy in North Andover sells and extension so we can use it on piles now. Also adjusted the skids down and went to stronger shear pins so we aren’t constantly replacing them. Honda has gone to an actual shear pin on their new model.

Is the light an accessory? How much did the bucket height adaptor cost?

0 Not allowed!

the light is standard equipment on a Honda

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Is the light an accessory? How much did the bucket height adaptor cost?
    $90 and I picked it up in North Andover, MA.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...-shipping.html

Hondas come with a light and the newer ones are LED. Electric start is extra cost and heated grips are not offered.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-07-19 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    you're the only person I know that did a port and polish on a snowblower. Don't get me wrong, not a bad thing...
    Oddly enough, those Tecumsehs were used in garden tractor races so there was all kinds of tuner info for them. Took no more than 15 minutes.

Bought it for $210 with a new engine.

Refurbed it.

Added a chute from a newer model.

Sold it to a coworker for $250. He keeps it in a wooden crate in his back yard. Still in use.

My only “killing” was a little-used Ariens 926 Pro purchased from a family moving to NC for $600. Sold it the winter of 2014-15 for $1,000 and there were people offering more. I think the 1124 Pro will sell for $500 or so but I’m offering it to relatives first.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-07-19 at 10:47 AM.

Put my Honda track snowblower up against a piece of firewood the other day. The wood won, split the transmission in two. That was a $500 fuck up.

After that I went back to plowing. Brand new cutting edge, peeled up 50 sqft of sod. And a sprinkler head. My ice dams are already half a foot thick. Stay tuned for more destruction.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

So I decided my 1970s(?) Single stage Ariens is really just better for walkways and tighter areas. After seeing pics on Honda.com of two stage throwers shooting it 40+ feet (and revisiting the plowing with an atv thread and all the valid point about a snow thrower always being able to place snow), I’m set on buying a new snow thrower for our three car wide and four car long driveway. But not down with Honda’s pricing, probably looking at a 28” Ariens or DR for $1100

0 Not allowed!

In fairness, the Hondas are hydrostatic and hydrostatic trans Ariens are almost as expensive.

Friction disk is tough to beat for value.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

In fairness, the Hondas are hydrostatic and hydrostatic trans Ariens are almost as expensive.

Friction disk is tough to beat for value.
    Does that mean the speed is just a variable shifter to adjust more specific speeds? As opposed to the Ariens that I have now that is five forward speeds and one reverse. So the newer non hydrostatic ones that are five or six forward and two reverse would still be an upgrade? Or does hydrostatic mean something completely different?

0 Not allowed!

Hydrostatic is a hydraulic transmission that is infinitely adjustable speed. Friction disk is just this side of Fred flinstone. Speeds are gated by notches in the control. Although you can adjust the speeds. On the go you only get 4-6 forward. Etc.

My box store shitbox has 6 forward speeds with a friction disk. Unfortunately only first is actually useful. Just poor design.

Hydrostatic is way too rich for my blood. NFW am I spending $3k on a snowblower. Eff that.

Where I think the premium units pay off are the heavier gauge construction and better drive. Aries does their cool differential in some affordable units. I think the cub blowers don’t suck either. The 3x thing is novel. I think they have a hydrostatic model too. My father has one of their mid grade 3x units and it is nice. Every time my mtd unit nearly tacos driving into a berm I regret not going for a better blower.

0 Not allowed!