Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1838484950515253545556575859 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1460

Snowblower

Re: Snowblower

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Something you can tackle?
    I can, just not sure I want to, I will probably take advantage of a current job I am working on, with barter instead of cash

I have the auger assembly separated from the engine & tracks, and pulley removed, that is when I discovered the bad bearing

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    What engine does it have? I have had excellent results with $12 carburetor/tune up kits for Tecumseh engines from amazon. The kits come with a new carburetor, new gasket, new spark plug, new primer bulb, new primer bulb hose, new fuel filter, and new fuel hose clamps. It's a ridiculously good deal for 12 bucks and they run great out of the box. If you don't have a Tecumseh engine, you still might be able to find a cheap carb kit for your motor.
    ^^^^ nobody fucks with carbs today, new ones are too cheeeeep, even a genuine Honda carb for the GX160 in my Toe Hoe was only $26

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I can, just not sure I want to, I will probably take advantage of a current job I am working on, with barter instead of cash

I have the auger assembly separated from the engine & tracks, and pulley removed, that is when I discovered the bad bearing
    Fwiw. I just ate some firewood with my tracked 11-32. It was $650 for a new transmission and bearings. Both auger blades were seized to the shafts, and getting them free drove the labor cost up.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    What adjustments are you making for it to run smoothly? I'm guessing you're adding some choke. Surging is usually due to a lean condition. I'd wager the carb needs a little more cleaning or a rebuild.

When exactly is it surging? High RPM, low RPM, load or no load, etc.?

Other things to look for are cracked fuel lines and primer bulbs and have a look at the governer linkage and spring to make sure they are operating correctly.
    Adjustment to the fuel mixture, when in a hurry I'll throw it into slight choke, which would lead one to believe it is a lean issue. But it isn't always a problem. Maybe jets getting clogged??
    It surges at mid to high in both loaded and unloaded, but moreso loaded. When I had the carb apart, everything looked good, no dry cracks on the rubber. The governor appears to be moving freely.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    ...but moreso loaded...
    When the engine is loaded, the throttle body is letting more air in and your fuel isn't keeping up which makes the surging worse. The main jet is most likely partially obstructed and I agree with everyone else that it's a good idea to just swap the carb since they are so cheap.

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

I can give you a hand with that this weekend, me thinks. That is, if you want to give 'er a whirl. Or I can see what Jamie would want for the reassemble.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    When the engine is loaded, the throttle body is letting more air in and your fuel isn't keeping up which makes the surging worse. The main jet is most likely partially obstructed and I agree with everyone else that it's a good idea to just swap the carb since they are so cheap.
    I'm just trying to keep it all original, for collector's re-sale...

1 Not allowed!

Randy - Currently I'm not in a huge rush to take the other piece of shit Craftsman back that I lent you. LOL! Ya know, the other 20+ year old Craftsman piece of shit that everyone told me not to get!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Here is what the hydrostatic transmission looks like in an Ariens. Seems as though I have something to do this weekend.

The pully is on the input shaft, output is the keyed shaft, direction control is the metal arm next to the output shaft, and the black arm on the left is the bypass valve which lets the transmission freewheel.

Snowblower-ariens-transmission-jpg

Snowblower-ariens-transmission-jpg

1 Not allowed!

So replacing the hydrostatic transmission is a bitch. Everything interferes with everything else so your best bet is to remove everything.

Here is what you're presented with when you remove the bottom cover of the snow blower. Both shafts have to be removed in order to remove the transmission.

I was so greasy that I didn't take pictures through the whole process but this is the new transmission mounted in the snow blower. The yellow lines point to studs that are part of a plate used to mount the engine. There are a total of 4 studs and the plate is also the mount for the transmission. You undo the nuts holding the engine on and the bracket still doesn't come out of the housing. I had to lift the engine off the blower and found that the mounting plate is riveted to housing to make assembly easier in the factory. I had to drill the rivets out to remove the transmission and luckily I had pop rivets laying around to remount everything.

My oil leak was coming from the vent holes on the rear of the transmission (you can just make out the 4 holes in the black cover plate in the previous picture) which is where the expansion bladder is. With the expansion chamber cover removed, this is what you see. It was mostly filled with oil but I cleaned it up for the picture.

Inspecting the expansion bladder, I found the problem. Just a small crack in the bladder was all it took to leak enough fluid to cause the pump to cavitate.

Snowblower-ariens-cover-jpg Snowblower-ariens-transmission-replaced-jpg Snowblower-expansion-bladder-jpg Snowblower-expansion-bladder-crack-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 01-13-20 at 08:48 AM.

I would have buttoned everything up but I found that the bearing on the right side of the housing had failed and allowed the drive shaft to rub against the blower housing. I'm surprised I didn't notice it while running the machine. Since I have everything apart, I decided to replace all 4 bearing assemblies (2 on the blower housing and 2 on the track assemblies). The parts are on order and hopefully I have them before next weekend.

1 Not allowed!

Ariens Platinum SHO 24 with 363cc motor 17ft lbs VS Ariens Deluxe SHO 28 with 306cc motor and 15ft lbs.
    forget the hand warmers and extras. Pure plowing through snow and snow output.
    My observation is there is no benefit at all to the bigger motor even with less width.
    Ariens stats posted on their website confirms that.
    Any different experiences/opinions?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    My observation is there is no benefit at all to the bigger motor even with less width.
    In light weight snow, that may be the case. When you get heavy snow that forces the governor wide open, more horsepower makes all the difference.

Honestly the website stats should be taken with a grain of salt as none of it translates perfectly into the real world. In fair conditions, the Deluxe 28 will clear a larger space more quickly than the Platinum 24. In heavy snow in a wide open area they will likely be similar. When it comes to the end of driveway pile, the Platinum 24 will murder it while the Deluxe 28 has to take smaller bites at it.

The Platinum 24 will also be more maneuverable which may or may not be an advantage in your situation.

No one ever complains about having too much power.

0 Not allowed!

Ariens Platinum SHO 24 with 363cc motor 17ft lbs VS Ariens Deluxe SHO 28 with 306cc motor and 15ft lbs.
    forget the hand warmers and extras. Pure plowing through snow and snow output.
    Ariens stats posted on their website confirms that.
    Any different experiences/opinions?
    We went from a 7 to 8 to 24 inch 11.5hp machine in Boston because the less powerful machines could not move the heavy, wind packed snow common near the coasts. The wider, less powerful machines will do the job: eventually.

Plow-compressed, salted snow we get.

0 Not allowed!

I'd get the 24" hands down. Snowblower stats seem to be for complete fluff. Add in New England reality and power is king.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

We went from a 7 to 8 to 24 inch 11.5hp machine in Boston because the less powerful machines could not move the heavy, wind packed snow common near the coasts. The wider, less powerful machines will do the job: eventually.

doesnt apply to those models. talking exclusively about the SHO models

0 Not allowed!

Add me to the list voting smaller machine with moar motor.

I have a 30" machine that is under powered. The enormous bucket is a problem because it just encourages you to fill it up. Then the thrower can't keep up and the machine stalls, requiring you man-handle it. I regret buying it.

Don't be like me.

1 Not allowed!

Did you do any modifications to that, like the impeller flappers? Which machine is that?

0 Not allowed!

doesnt apply to those models. talking exclusively about the SHO models
    If you are asking for specific suggestions, based on owning six machines in the last ten years, including basic and premium models, wheels and tracks, hydrostatic and friction disk, and snow both in Boston conditions and at 1,400 elevation in NH, my suggestion is top priority is to purchase the maximum torque in the narrowest bucket available.

The reason for this recommendation is that those machines are least likely to be overwhelmed by heavy snow conditions, and can move faster in lighter snow so you spend less time behind the machine.

Hydrostatic drive is more productive but increases the price so much that it’s not worthwhile for most homeowners. Ditto track drive.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-14-20 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Add me to the list voting smaller machine with moar motor.
    ...my suggestion is top priority is to purchase the maximum torque in the narrowest bucket available.
    I'm also a strong proponent of getting the maximum horsepower available in the size bucket that works for your application. Keep in mind that a smaller but more powerful unit will be faster in a number of applications.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 01-14-20 at 10:00 AM.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

can wait to fling snow at the cabin this W/E

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

The Platinum 24 SHO is the right buy. Another important rating is ton per hour of snow the machine can move, the Deluxe 28 SHO (which I own) can move 72 tons/hr, the Platinum 24 SHO can move 73 tons/hr. That tells me the significantly smaller bucket processes the snow at a higher percentage...much less trailings off the side of the bucket, taking closer to a full width bucket pass when clearing. My 28 is a nice machine, but at a very similar price I wish I had bought the 24.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

For me it all comes down to the motor. A bigger engine with more torque is always better.

The idea of a higher impeller speed is appealing but I'm not sure there is a real world benefit. My dad has a 2018 24" Platinum SHO while I have a 2015 30" Platinum that is not an SHO model. Both machines have the same 369cc engine. While I've never run the two head to head, I have used my dad's on several occasions. There is no difference in speed between the them. The same gears are appropriate for the same conditions and they are each capable of taking a full bite even in the deepest snow if you're in the right gear. One thing I did notice with the faster impeller was that it threw the snow farther but my Machine still throws it plenty far so frankly I don't see much value there.

To me the biggest issue is when the consistency of the snow prevents it from flowing freely into the bucket. There are times where the snow is sticky and it stacks up at the auger, before it gets to the impeller. At that point Impeller speed means nothing and the only way to deal with it is slow down. With that being said a wider bucket may be important as it's better in those kinds of conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by BSR6; 01-17-20 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    For me it all comes down to the motor. A bigger engine with more torque is always better.

The idea of a higher impeller speed is appealing but I'm not sure there is a real world benefit. My dad has a 2018 24" Platinum SHO while I have a 2015 30" Platinum that is not an SHO model. Both machines have the same 369cc engine. While I've never run the two head to head, I have used my dad's on several occasions. There is no difference in speed between the them. The same gears are appropriate for the same conditions and they are each capable of taking a full bite even in the deepest snow if you're in the right gear. One thing I did notice with the faster impeller was that it threw the snow farther but my Machine still throws it plenty far so frankly I don't see much value there. //.
    According to an Ariens engineer assigned to a snow thrower forum, increasing impeller speed beyond a certain point results in “recirculating” the snow in the impeller.

Rated capacity for most two stage machines is nearly one ton of snow per minute, and impeller kits seem to yield better results. I’ve now moved the Clarence’s kit (purchased 10 years ago!) closer to the machine in the garage, so maybe an install will finally happen!

0 Not allowed!

Interesting.

0 Not allowed!