Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast

Snowmobilers

Re: Snowmobilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    i live all but 5 mins from bear brook..
    If the rain doesnt fook things up I'll prolly be there sunday & monday...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Ha ha no kidding. Polaris and most manufacturers usually supply a nylon strap that you can wrap around the primary clutch in that situation. It might be worth getting one if you don't have one already.
    i've been pulled out 35 miles by one of these said nylon straps, and from a polaris for a matter of fact after my track skipped a cog and threw a pick through the radiator.. lol

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jayth View Post
    cool i get home monday but i'm down for a ride thurs/fri pending there is still snow lol

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jayth View Post
    The rain and warmer temps will certainly knock it down. It's going to take a weekend beating from heavy traffic too.
    Maybe Dave603 can chime in with conditions.

Have hope though, the season has just begun.

0 Not allowed!

Yeah i'll keep you posted. From what i hear its starting tonight and going through monday so it doesnt look good right now. I might check out Maine next week, i know pittsburg is going to get iced too but not sure about east of the notch like errol and milan yet still waiting to hear back from my buddy on a trail update

0 Not allowed!

Old Polaris indy trail worth saving or let it continue it's slow death?

This was offered to me very cheap, I'm aassuming it is a late 90's? Has a Rangely sticker from 02'-03', picked track, suspension does compress, pulled it over very slow and it is free, 3200k miles, no cracks. Might have been sitting for around 10yrs.

0 Not allowed!

It's still a good sled for some slow smooth trail riding. On rough trails it'll beat you up. That Evolved chassis handles pretty well.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Only if you want to do a lot of tinkering and this sled is to ride around in your back yard.
    Otherwise, don't walk away from this great deal... Run!

0 Not allowed!

I would look it over real good before I committed to taking it. It really isn't worth much if you wanted to sell it later so keep that in mind. If the track is dry rotted and cracking, leave it where it is. Check for mice damage if it lived under that tarp all those years, I'm sure they've climbed into the pipe and made a nice home. I'm sure most of the rubber items are dry rotted like the carb boots, belts, including the fan belt.

1 Not allowed!
    Jeff

I would look it over real good before I committed to taking it. It really isn't worth much if you wanted to sell it later so keep that in mind. If the track is dry rotted and cracking, leave it where it is. Check for mice damage if it lived under that tarp all those years, I'm sure they've climbed into the pipe and made a nice home. I'm sure most of the rubber items are dry rotted like the carb boots, belts, including the fan belt.
    heck if your getting it for like 200 bucks and are knowledgable enough to fix all the issues with it like cleaning the carbs, replacing any rotted fuel lines and spark plugs, checking the coils etc. you could make it a fun sled to ride around on for cheap. But if you don't know or don't have the time to work on it, you'll just be turning another mans junk into your junK!

0 Not allowed!

Anybody up in the North Conway area? I'll be up there riding new years, supposed to be getting a good 6-9 inches up there tonight

0 Not allowed!

It's still a good sled for some slow smooth trail riding. On rough trails it'll beat you up. That Evolved chassis handles pretty well.
    It would only be used locally (Metrowest area) with my kids.

It would cost a case of beer to be the proud owner, looking on CL last night it seems the same year range (late 90's) Polaris Indy trail's still go for around $900 to $1600.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    heck if your getting it for like 200 bucks and are knowledgable enough to fix all the issues with it like cleaning the carbs, replacing any rotted fuel lines and spark plugs, checking the coils etc. you could make it a fun sled to ride around on for cheap. But if you don't know or don't have the time to work on it, you'll just be turning another mans junk into your junK!
    Been tossing around the idea of a sled and this kind of fell into my lap and just figured if it could be brought back to life for under $700 it might be worth it. I can't justify the $$$$ for a newer sled to be used locally and only a handful of times a year.
    I have little to zero interest in working on it, I'll have to see if I can find a snowmobile shop locally and what it would cost to make it operable again.

0 Not allowed!

It's definitely worth a closer work. I'm not shooting down the idea I just want you to be aware of what you could get into. A bad track alone will set you back $250 or so for a decent Camoplast. Kimpex can be had cheaper but you get what you pay for.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

A case of beer? I'd go that route and plan on putting as little as possible into it. Don't plan any multi-night trips or long solo excursions until you feel it out, but for around the yard I'd rock it all day long till it died.

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P

It's definitely worth a closer work. I'm not shooting down the idea I just want you to be aware of what you could get into. A bad track alone will set you back $250 or so for a decent Camoplast. Kimpex can be had cheaper but you get what you pay for.
    Where are you finding your tracks?? The cheapest decent tracks I've found are around $400-500.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Times have changed since I last bought a track it seems, prices have gone up. This is where I got my last track http://www.tracksusa.com/ it was nothing special but it was cheaper than what I'm seeing listed on there.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

And Im in business! Brappp Braapppppp!!

1 Not allowed!

What was wrong with it?

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    It would cost a case of beer to be the proud owner
    Hell, if you decide to pass it up and can pass the deal on, I'd certainly be interested in it for even a couple cases of good beer.

The slop we got last night will certainly help pack the trails for you guys, and rumor has it there's a good dumping coming for the end of the week.

0 Not allowed!

What was wrong with it?
    I dont wanna talk about it!

0 Not allowed!

Key not turned on or stop button depressed would be my guess given that reply.

0 Not allowed!

Alex- I'll go with "Out of Gas" for $500

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    Hell, if you decide to pass it up and can pass the deal on, I'd certainly be interested in it for even a couple cases of good beer.

The slop we got last night will certainly help pack the trails for you guys, and rumor has it there's a good dumping coming for the end of the week.
    Pretty sure the offer made to me is not going to be made public, as the offer was from a family friend and I was told if I did not take the sled it would continue to sit where it is now........

0 Not allowed!

Getting an older sled that's been sitting for years running usually doesn't take a lot of work. Getting them back to peak condition through maintenance is where the costs often far outweigh the initial investment. You'll find that the most expensive parts to fix are the suspension components and wear items like the track, belts, etc, so if those are in good condition already, I'd jump on it.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    Pretty sure the offer made to me is not going to be made public, as the offer was from a family friend and I was told if I did not take the sled it would continue to sit where it is now........
    No problem, I was just throwing it out there.

Like others have said, it probably wouldn't take too much. If the track's junk, that's a decent chunk of change, but if the rest of it's in decent shape, that's still a cheap runner. If the motor turns over ok with decent compression, there's not much else to them other than the carbs since it's fan cooled. I'll probably get shot for this, but the fans can still get up and move pretty decently, especially for someone who's not that seasoned with sleds. I had a Polaris 550 fan for several years, and it was super reliable and had more than enough for the trails I rode.

0 Not allowed!