Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Snowmobilers

iTrader Score

Re: Snowmobilers

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Seems a lot of Polaris machines use the “550 Fan Engine: Proven, dependable two-stroke engine with NiCaSil-lined cylinders.”

I assume this is a reliable, durable engine? How many miles do they ordinarily run before rebuild?
    i'm not sure what engines polaris has that are proven and or dependable.

there newest 800 looks to be kinda dependable depending on who you talk with.

fwiw: i was looking at the polaris titan recently and it looks impressive, but i'd need to ride one.

ski-coo's 550 fan has been reliable (its old school) although there fuel pigs with little to no powah.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

....................... PinHead's Avatar
    iTrader Score

Seems a lot of Polaris machines use the “550 Fan Engine: Proven, dependable two-stroke engine with NiCaSil-lined cylinders.”

I assume this is a reliable, durable engine? How many miles do they ordinarily run before rebuild?
    Visit a NON brand specific repair shop and ask them what sleds come in the most and for what. I stopped in to Northstar Performance in Conway and talked to the owner, Rick, for quite a while and he is a wealth of knowledge! Sleds are his passion! He sponsors a couple of guys in Alaska and his custom clutches as well as other parts that he makes are in race sleds all over the states. He said I did well with my choice of sled, he hasn't had to do anything major to the 800 that I got. The only issue they have been having is Polaris put in some cheap ass relays that cause some intermittent problems when they get wet, he has found and sells replacement relays that fix the issue for cheap money. Can't keep the kits he put together in stock! Polaris couldn't figure out the problem, but he did. Some of the new SkiDoo's however, his shop was full of them and all of them were in line for new bottom ends. He is also on Hard Core Sledder and is very well known for his experience working with anything sled related. Might be worth giving him a call although he is busy as hell right now, people make the drive all the way from NY to have him work on their sleds.

1 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

The 2005 Venture we have seems to be well regarded, It’s got 5800 miles but has had a lot of maintenance. Heavy, though.

The 2007 Phazer has more mixed reviews but some people love them. Also heavy-ish, 560 lbs wet. Probably going to keep them both this season, still coaching hockey so can’t get away too often.

0 Not allowed!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.”
    General Simon Bolivar Butler

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    It is an expensive sport.
    ^This. Although I was fortunate enough to get in good with our local sled guy, and he treats us really good. Usually runs me about $500/year for our two clams to get 'em ready for the season. It's basically for stuff I don't wanna do myself. Ya know, the typical shit...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    ^This. Although I was fortunate enough to get in good with our local sled guy, and he treats us really good. Usually runs me about $500/year for our two clams to get 'em ready for the season. It's basically for stuff I don't wanna do myself. Ya know, the typical shit...
    That ain't bad. How is the snow up by you? I took the sled out to Bear Notch this past Sat. wasn't bad for early season riding.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

1. What do you carry on your sleds for recovery? Today one of my kids buried the skis off the edge of a trail, and shoveling wasn’t successful. We were close enough to home that we were able to go home and get a snatchblock and Arborist’s line to pull it out, but it raises the question of what diameter line we should carry and how much of it.

2. Later in the day on the way home, we came upon a sled sitting on the edge of the trail, with helmet sitting on the dash. We stopped and looked around, and no one was there. I snapped a pic of the sled and marked the location, but wasn’t sure what the protocol was. 0° and an hour before sunset.....

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-28-17 at 04:56 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.”

iTrader Score

Get at least one of these to carry on the sled, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I carry one and in the other sled a tow strap that could pull a truck out if need be. I wouldn't try to pull a truck out with the sled but I do like the fact that it is very strong and 20' long, in a bind it can be used to throw to someone in the water too. I also carry a couple of those "space blanket" things, if you do break down somewhere they will help to keep some heat in and help keep you dry and they don't take up much space at all. Matches in a water proof container with some tiny fire starting cubes, compass, spare Li-on batteries for the GPS (regular alkaline suck in the cold). Working on a first aid kit that is small enough with some basic stuff, a pair of ice pics that you can trow around your neck Amazon.com : Frabill Deluxe Retractable Ice Picks : Fishing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors The bag I got for the new sled is pretty small so I am limited to what I can carry, plus I am not a mountain sledder so what I carry will differ from what you would need to really be out in the boonies.

1 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score

That ain't bad. How is the snow up by you? I took the sled out to Bear Notch this past Sat. wasn't bad for early season riding.
    my neighbor has had his groomer out, and trail gates are open on my side of the hill.

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Haha, same one I linked to.

1 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Haha, same one I linked to.
    I bought it on the 8th for 12.31 though and hope I don't need it anytime soon.LOL

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Anyone use one of those Bunje stretch straps? The nylon webbing we ordinarily use has some give.

SNOBUNJE “RATTLER” – SNOBUNJE

I cheated yesterday, the kids came home and got me so I grabbed some Arborist’s line and a snatchblock.

On the dirt bikes we carried two pieces of 1/2” nylon webbing and two bow shackles. Ordered some 3/4” strap as the sleds weigh more.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Never tried the bunje strap thing, and isn't arborist line kinda the same way? Strong but will give/stretch a bit if shock is put to it.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score

1. What do you carry on your sleds for recovery? Today one of my kids buried the skis off the edge of a trail, and shoveling wasn’t successful. We were close enough to home that we were able to go home and get a snatchblock and Arborist’s line to pull it out, but it raises the question of what diameter line we should carry and how much of it.

2. Later in the day on the way home, we came upon a sled sitting on the edge of the trail, with helmet sitting on the dash. We stopped and looked around, and no one was there. I snapped a pic of the sled and marked the location, but wasn’t sure what the protocol was. 0° and an hour before sunset.....
    that depends on the sled and where were going.

never mind first aid stuff, survival stuff, food or spare clothes.

shovels
    winch's
    comealong
    rope come along
    custom made sled to sled bungie
    mules tape
    hand saws
    chain saws
    lots of rigging

fwiw: when its frosty out (-6ºf) carry a spare pair of gloves inside your jacked and or bibs.

when your hands and first gloves get damp/cold cold gloves won't help much.

if were out for the day i'll usually take 3 pair of gloves.

back up for your backups back up is always good.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

iTrader Score

Get at least one of these to carry on the sled, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I carry one and in the other sled a tow strap that could pull a truck out if need be. I wouldn't try to pull a truck out with the sled but I do like the fact that it is very strong and 20' long, in a bind it can be used to throw to someone in the water too. I also carry a couple of those "space blanket" things, if you do break down somewhere they will help to keep some heat in and help keep you dry and they don't take up much space at all. Matches in a water proof container with some tiny fire starting cubes, compass, spare Li-on batteries for the GPS (regular alkaline suck in the cold). Working on a first aid kit that is small enough with some basic stuff, a pair of ice pics that you can trow around your neck Amazon.com : Frabill Deluxe Retractable Ice Picks : Fishing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors The bag I got for the new sled is pretty small so I am limited to what I can carry, plus I am not a mountain sledder so what I carry will differ from what you would need to really be out in the boonies.

add trioxane and tampons to your fire starting kit.

ideally always have 3 ways to start a fire.

i like the butane lighters you can solder with (wind and water proof)
    a shitty lighter
    spark based

trioxane can be lit when wet and will stay burning even if dropped in the snow

i have pulled trucks out with the sled

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Never tried the bunje strap thing, and isn't arborist line kinda the same way? Strong but will give/stretch a bit if shock is put to it.
    Yeah, two of couldn’t budge the thing, and it snatched it right out. Thst’s why I used the full length.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    add trioxane and tampons to your fire starting kit.

ideally always have 3 ways to start a fire.

i like the butane lighters you can solder with (wind and water proof)
    a shitty lighter
    spark based

trioxane can be lit when wet and will stay burning even if dropped in the snow

i have pulled trucks out with the sled
    I would need to check the name of them, but the fire starter things I have are individually wrapped cubes that claim to light up even when wet. And I also like to carry a Zippo lighter, butane lighters suck in the cold.

1 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

I have spark plugs, gas so no need for a fire starter. (sarcasm)

Amazon.com : G.I. Trioxane Heating Fuel Bars : Camping And Hiking Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by zxme; 12-30-17 at 11:09 AM.

iTrader Score

So the GoPro 6 kicks ass! Didn't like the minus 0 temps but didn't do too bad either, the battery life just suffered a bit. Decided to hit the throttle a little on this straight to see what it's got and wow, this wasn't even close to full throttle and it's still in break in mode. Still have a bunch of hours to go till the computer lets this thing open up and stops dumping extra oil in. I knew I was holding on pretty good but didn't think I was pulling a G, I thought wrong and the GoPro is mounted to my helmet.
    Snowmobilers-1-jpg

2 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    I have spark plugs, gas so no need for a fire starter. (sarcasm)

Amazon.com : G.I. Trioxane Heating Fuel Bars : Camping And Hiking Equipment : Sports & Outdoors
    Brings back memories. Mostly used the little Esbit tabs and folding stove, though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C...yJL&ref=plSrch

Coughlin makes the same thing, stocked at BassPro etc. Reminds me to add a steel cup to heat water. We would dig a small hole, put the heat tab in, light it and put a canteen cup on top.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-09-18 at 05:55 PM.

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Been working on my emergency kit. Had an extra .50 Cal ammo can so going to bolt that to the luggage rack. The contents thus far are:

• USGI folding entrenching Tool
    • 10” folding saw
    • 60’ of 3/4” nylon strap in two pieces, 6’ & 54’ (about .30 / foot)
    • (2) stainless steel anchor shackles ($5 each at HD)
    • 10’ safety wire
    • Small Stanley stainless pot with cover and two cups (WalMart $15)
    • 25 emergency matches in waterproof case WalMart
    • 4 “Flaming balls of death” AKA Vaseline-soaked cotton balls
    • 25’ of yellow engineer’s Tape (for trail marking)
    • Contractor size trash bag (shelter, raincoat, you name it)
    • Small flashlight and spare batteries so you can warm one set

Still thinking about what tools to bring. Another suggestion was a siphon. We have spare drive belt.
    Further suggestions welcome. We don’t go off trail, but some of the trails around here have little traffic. So we have GPS but not spot.

Edit: just added a SnowBunje, as the Yamaha Venture is a Big Girl.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-13-18 at 01:15 PM.

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Snowmobilers-26231166_923296467847732_6100777003926455185_n-jpg
    Picked up Trailer today from sisters, been there since April.
    Used my Antigravity mini start compressor to fill a tire and axle was mint thanks to fluid Film. Sucked out the last of the Mineral oil that was in there and refilled with XPS Full Syn. Fresh gas and it started 3rd pull. (Didn't try elec start)
    Just need to order some ice Scratchers and I'm ready

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Wrong thread,

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Philkinson; 01-13-18 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Wrong thread!
    CCS/LLRS AM #642

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Cold is back so let it snow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snowmobilers-26239914_1895949803768481_1873362966897704426_n-jpg  

0 Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    iTrader Score

5 degrees. What else do you do? Sled,cut trees, haul the wood around and chop fire wood.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers