Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172728293031323334353637

Snowmobilers

Re: Snowmobilers

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    There is no other way to access the trails other than through the front of my house now. Neighbor's on both sides of me have denied access or built things that stop access. Only reason my property is still in the game is because the front edge of my yard touches a main road so the snow mobiles can come in that way. They cant really get behind me because my property runs deep into the woods.

I have talked to a few of the neighbor's a while back and they just dont want anyone using land anymore. If I could shift the trail I would but those bridges are never going to be moved.
    As an avid snowmobiler I can assure you that restricting access is devistating to the trail system. It means a new route must be planned which requires permission from multiple landowners. With the political climate the way it is today, it's becoming more and more difficult to get permission. There are more opinionated people out there who will say no to snowmobile access simply because they disagree with the sport all together. They may think it's bad for the environment, a waste of resources, etc. and will do everything they can to shut the sport down just out of principle. This demographic seems to be growing year after year. Meanwhile, if they do manage to get permission it likely also means new bridges (like the one's on your property) etc. It's a lot of work and a lot of money.

Then there's the economic impact but that all depends on where in the trail system your property lies. If it's in a critical spot you could be hurting businesses who depend on the snowmobilers.

At the same time, you have legitimate concerns and as the land owner you have the right to say no. Keeping remote/seasonal homes secure is a big issue. Increasing the exposure by giving sled traffic good view of it is a perfectly valid concern. I agree with the point that the snowmobiling demographic is generally not one to worry about, but it still increases the chances of the wrong person taking notice of your property.

Whatever you do, make sure you talk it out with the club first and try to examine all options for keeping your property secure if you were to allow access.

I guess I'm simply stating the obvious here, but I think it's important you weigh all of the factors before making a decision.

0 Not allowed!

FS fairly local: 2013 Polaris 600 IQ LXT. Fuel injected liquid cooled two stroke with 136”x15” track. 2 up seat and very low miles. Take it or leave it price of $5,000, which is 10% over retail but miles are low. Worth a look?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    FS fairly local: 2013 Polaris 600 IQ LXT. Fuel injected liquid cooled two stroke with 136”x15” track. 2 up seat and very low miles. Take it or leave it price of $5,000, which is 10% over retail but miles are low. Worth a look?
    how many miles?

im not sure about 13 polaris's

there are some really shitty years.

fwiw: i'd buy the new one we were taking about and be done with it for many many years to come.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

Less than 600.

Thanks, have to get in touch with your guy after Christmas.

Pretty cool, NH is digitizing the trails.

https://nhsa.evtrails.com/#

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-24-19 at 06:43 PM.

So after a surprisingly frustrating process, purchased a private-sale 2018 Ski Doo Renegade Enduro 900 Ace in Maine. Had to learn to navigate the various manufacturer marketing lingo, model lineups, and then sort through private for sale ads on CL and FaceBook. Easily half of these ads were missing key information.

Sandman had mentioned the Enduro model and I checked them out. The Renegade is Ski Doo’s “Crossover” platform, trail focused but with some off-trail capability: 137”x15” track. The Enduro models were much better equipped than the Sport models, and available with 4 strokes. Think the [90hp] 900 will be a good fit for us. An accessory seat with heated handgrips is available.

This one came with LinQ bag and handgrip mitts. Front bumper is listed as an option but they all seem to have it. Ditto the plug for heated gear.

Features

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-28-19 at 08:17 PM.

Got it! Rented a closed UHaul because our trailer is open. Just enough snow for a short spin. Like the ride and handling.

The jack for a heated visor is different than the one I have for a heated jacket. First addition will be GPS: have an older Garmin (Nuvi 500) with topo maps or will look into the newer models. Per previous post NH has digitized their trails but the club trails don’t seem to be included.

The rear handle seems a little wimpy so a rear bumper may be in the cards.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-06-20 at 07:04 PM.

Got it! Rented a closed UHaul because our trailer is open. Just enough snow for a short spin. Like the ride and handling.

The jack for a heated visor is different than the one I have for a heated jacket. First addition will be GPS: have an older Garmin (Nubia 500) with topo maps or will look into the newer models. Per previous post NH has digitized their trails but the club trails don’t seem to be included.

The rear handle seems a little wimpy so a rear bumper may be in the cards.

Glad you found something you like man!

0 Not allowed!

Thanks. Bought BRP tunnel mount scratchers to install. Came with a 12V plug so GPS hookup will be easy.

Looking at dedicated helmets. BRP has several lines, including modulars and heated visor. But they seem to use a molded plastic shell. HJC has a full lineup, also molded. One 509 has a carbon composite shell. They pretty much all have a drop down sun shield. Costs are modest, most are $250-350.

• Should I care about a molded shell vs laid up composite?
    • On Dootalk many riders never use the electric as the breath deflector works well. Skip?
    • With the internal breath shields, Modulars seem preferable if you want to speak to anyone. Worth it?
    • All the helmets have DOT certification, but some have ECE cert as well. Demonstrable safety benefit on snowmobiles?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-03-20 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks. Bought BRP tunnel mount scratchers to install. Came with a 12V plug so GPS hookup will be easy.

Looking at dedicated helmets. BRP has several lines, including modulars and heated visor. But they seem to use a molded plastic shell. HJC has a full lineup, also molded. One 509 has a carbon composite shell. They pretty much all have a drop down sun shield. Costs are modest, most are $250-350.

• Should I care about a molded shell vs laid up composite?
    • On Dootalk many riders never use the electric as the breath deflector works well. Skip?
    • With the internal breath shields, Modulars seem preferable if you want to speak to anyone. Worth it?
    • All the helmets have DOT certification, but some have ECE cert as well. Demonstrable safety benefit on snowmobiles?
    what size helmets?

I'm pretty sure i have med's

i have a new in the box skidoo modular and several carbon of the fiber models.

let me know if you want to talk helmets theres way too much to type.

depending on when you ride, electric heated shields are always good.

the newer heated goggles work good better that the battery powered fan's

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

0 Not allowed!

I managed to get out and ride on Thursday and Friday. We went from Rumford ME to Rangely one day, and from Rangley to Eustis the other. The trails were pretty thin in areas, but we did go through some spots that were really nice. I put 275 miles on the new sled, and the dash says it's about 60% broken in. It used roughly .75 gallons of oil in that time, which I'm hoping will go down when break-in is over. The computer claimed 15 MPG, which seemed pretty honest when I did the math in my head. The fuckin low fuel light comes on when there's still about 4 gallons in the tank, kinda dumb. But beyond all that, the thing's a missile and everything seemed to just work really well. I didn't want to stud the track, so I went with one that has the carbides built into it. It works. I'm going to get back out in a couple weeks, and probabaly just drive as far north as I have to for some better conditions.

2 Not allowed!

Snodeo with my boy

3 Not allowed!

Why yes, the trails have been closed since I bought the Enduro, thanks for asking....

0 Not allowed!

Why yes, the trails have been closed since I bought the Enduro, thanks for asking....
    Oh ya, thanks for buying a new sled this year...

1 Not allowed!

I bought the sled and we got nearly 3 feet of snow in early December. I bought my KTM 790 Adv R on January 2nd and it's been warm ever since. I'm now headed to CVS to buy condoms...

3 Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Boner jams '03

1 Not allowed!

Plenty of white gold in Quebec
    Snowmobilers-img_2491-jpgSnowmobilers-img_2506-jpg

3 Not allowed!

Lifer

That is some wild suspension geometry...

0 Not allowed!

I'm confused about scratchers. Thought they were to throw snow into the track to keep the hyfax lubricated. But it appears some folks are mounting them on the skis for engine cooling.

Also BRP has a tunnel-mounted scratcher kit. We've always used scratchers mounted on the lower suspension. Are the tunnel mounts superior? Their installation instructions are terrible.

0 Not allowed!

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I'm confused about scratchers. Thought they were to throw snow into the track to keep the hyfax lubricated. But it appears some folks are mounting them on the skis for engine cooling.

Also BRP has a tunnel-mounted scratcher kit. We've always used scratchers mounted on the lower suspension. Are the tunnel mounts superior? Their installation instructions are terrible.
    They are for the hyfax, as well as throwing snow on the heat exchanger. The mounts on the ski’s do the same thing, just another mounting option.

0 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Snowmobilers-20200209_101517-jpg

Like fresh concrete...

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Snowmobilers-20200209_101517-jpg

Like fresh concrete...
    Where's that? I'm thinking of going to rangely soon. I'm trying to get my buddies to go to Caribou but not getting far with that.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Where's that? I'm thinking of going to rangely soon. I'm trying to get my buddies to go to Caribou but not getting far with that.
    We rode a loop from Madrid to Kingfield, Stratton, Eustis, Rangeley, back to Madrid.

2 Not allowed!