Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141525 ... LastLast

Snowmobilers

Re: Snowmobilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    They are the stock pipes... SRX's were produced with triples from the factory.

I wish they were quieter for that reason but right now its my only sled with studs on the track. I actually got pulled over in Errol a couple weeks ago for them and Fish and Game checked under the hood, there was 4 or 5 of them (all pretty young looking too) and none of them knew what an SRX was or that they came that way from the factory. They insisted that the heat shielding had to be stamped Yamaha which is not true (the Viper had a stamped heat shield but that was a single pipe) and didn't believe me so I had to pull out my smart phone and show them. After about 10 mins of them looking confused they let me go and apologized. I mean not really there fault they are just doing what they are told.
    That's cool that they're the stock ones and you could verify that. F and G really aren't the ballbusters many think they are. At the end of the day, their goal is to keep trails open (and safe) for all of us alike.

My 2 cents is to pick your places for BRAAAAPPING. Pulling up to the gas pumps in town or buzzing by an ice fisherman wouldn't be the right time.

0 Not allowed!

jesus, I cant wait till that happens to me...

0 Not allowed!

Rode 100 miles today with my kids on the Northern Rail Trail and it was great! Left out of Boscawen and went to Canaan... about 90 miles round trip.
    We clocked some miles on the club/connector trails along the way, but they're in bad shape- still need more snow.

It looks like Dave603 is the only one nearby, but for others that are itching to get on the sled- you'd have a blast. The clubs have the trail groomed and flat... many stretches you really can open it up.
    The only downside being that you don't have the tight turns and elevation changes that you have on the north country trails.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Rode 100 miles today with my kids on the Northern Rail Trail and it was great! Left out of Boscawen and went to Canaan... about 90 miles round trip.
    We clocked some miles on the club/connector trails along the way, but they're in bad shape- still need more snow.

It looks like Dave603 is the only one nearby, but for others that are itching to get on the sled- you'd have a blast. The clubs have the trail groomed and flat... many stretches you really can open it up.
    The only downside being that you don't have the tight turns and elevation changes that you have on the north country trails.
    I'm up north this weekend. Did just under 200 miles today riding up from Colebrook up to pittsburg. All the trails were mint until about 2pm then heading back south they started to get boney. But had good luck riding 134/143 to 5 and across rt3 and back south making the "loop" and was overall better than I expected. It was fairly cold about -4 but meant the trails were smooth and fast. And lack of snow meant that the bumps were alot smaller on the ride home lol. Next weekend is Tri-State.

1 Not allowed!

Nice report Dave... Great stuff! You hit some of Pittsburg's sweet trails!

Sounds like you already know the area, but I'll throw this out there... Avoid some of the weekend traffic mayhem on the corridor trails - ride mostly the connectors (136, 137, 138, 143). They don't get the heavy traffic and are usually still in good shape later in the day. The route might be zig-zag, but well worth it!

0 Not allowed!

Nice report Dave... Great stuff! You hit some of Pittsburg's sweet trails!

Sounds like you already know the area, but I'll throw this out there... Avoid some of the weekend traffic mayhem on the corridor trails - ride mostly the connectors (136, 137, 138, 143). They don't get the heavy traffic and are usually still in good shape later in the day. The route might be zig-zag, but well worth it!
    136 is my favorite trail but its closed this year for logging. A good trail this year has been 112 except 112 south of 136 is also closed but the northern part has been really quick. Also the new "loop" trail that they made last year by the nash stream trail (i think its 141?) has been a good one its about a ~20 mile trail end to end and they did a lot of work this summer widening it and smoothing it out (i rode it last year when it first opened up) and wow is it amazing, has a little bit of everything from elevation changes, twisties both tight and fast twisties and some good straights where you can really hammer it. It snowed last night about 4-6 inches throughout the area so as long as the groomers were out last night today should be primo riding. The rain a couple weeks ago actually did some good to the trails up here theres a solid base that should prevent those spinal tapping moguls from forming on the big corridor trails towards the end of the day!

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    136 is my favorite trail but its closed this year for logging. A good trail this year has been 112 except 112 south of 136 is also closed but the northern part has been really quick. Also the new "loop" trail that they made last year by the nash stream trail (i think its 141?) has been a good one its about a ~20 mile trail end to end and they did a lot of work this summer widening it and smoothing it out (i rode it last year when it first opened up) and wow is it amazing, has a little bit of everything from elevation changes, twisties both tight and fast twisties and some good straights where you can really hammer it. It snowed last night about 4-6 inches throughout the area so as long as the groomers were out last night today should be primo riding. The rain a couple weeks ago actually did some good to the trails up here theres a solid base that should prevent those spinal tapping moguls from forming on the big corridor trails towards the end of the day!
    Does that connector trail go over Deer Mountain? I think that must be Perry or Indian Stream.

0 Not allowed!

Does that connector trail go over Deer Mountain? I think that must be Perry or Indian Stream.
    Its the "loop trail" off about 1/4 way south on 142 (sorry not 141) and goes east out parallel to 141 on the other side of indian stream and then reconnects all the way at the southernmost point of 142.. It's pretty awesome because it seems like 142 being the westernmost trail receives more traffic leaving it rough while this one being a little more east actually lets you pick up more mileage and quicker than 142.

Overall we did about 600+ miles fri-sun, while friday and sunday were both in the negative teens it kept the fair weather riders in doors and we saw maybe a dozen sleds at the most both days. Saturday was very busy though it was above zero most of the day (and snowing) so all the "sledneck" and "braaaaap" imitators were out all day with their obnoxiously long 162" + tracks and motocross helmets and back pack snow shovels were out congesting the trails and making it a painfully slow day to ride. (i guess they were extremely worried of going off trail and getting stuck in the 12" of snow they have up north) But next weekend is tri-state so I'll be riding in maine most of the weekend. I've heard great trail reports for the rangely area from buddies that rode that way last weekend. I'll also be meeting with someone from corporate yamaha this weekend and be hearing all the plans for 2015 sleds before the official feb 11th release date. Which if anyone knows, they are the most secretive of snowmobile companies when it comes to leaking info so I am pretty excited of hearing confirmation of any rumors.

0 Not allowed!

Nice. Sounds like the trails in Pittsburg are finally in great shape.
    http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.p...nuary-28-2014/

0 Not allowed!

All loaded up and heading to Moosehead lake tonight!

1 Not allowed!

I'm hoping the Ricky Craven Ride was last weekend up there?

Edit: it does look like it was last weekend, luckily. It's a nightmare around there during that event.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by GearHd6; 01-31-14 at 09:53 AM.
    Jeff

ha! close call!

Friend of mine has a camp on moosehead lake, I think there will be like 8 of us at this point. Lets hope there are no "suprises" with my frankenstein this weekend.

I really need someone who knows what they are doing deal with the clutching and gearing, it should be a lot faster than it is. (~180 hp motor in a 440 chassis....)

0 Not allowed!

After 15 years of living on a lake, I finally bit the bullet. I'm the new owner of an '04 Arctic Cat ZR900 EFI. A friend is a certified 'Cat mechanic and is in the process of going through it for me. Top end rebuild, clutch rebuilds, new skid cage & track, new suspension, blah-blah-blah...all included in the selling price. Should be ready just in time for Wednesday's dumping...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Definitely a nice lake sled. If you want to go fast, short of a Thundercat, that would be the sled to do it.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Definitely a nice lake sled. If you want to go fast, short of a Thundercat, that would be the sled to do it.
    Eh, fast is not what I'm after. It's immaculate, has low mileage and the price was incredibly right. We kinda figure over the course of the next coupla years we'll accumilate enough of 'em to outfit my tribe...

0 Not allowed!

Might not be what you're after, but fast is definitely what you got. Those ZR9's rip.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Might not be what you're after, but fast is definitely what you got. Those ZR9's rip.
    No doubt! I was just saying speed wasn't a factor when it came time to buy. Fuck, I'd be happy on an old 440 or some shit...

0 Not allowed!

Put on a couple hundred miles this weekend around Moosehead Lake. Mount Katahdin in the background.

The Crew!

0 Not allowed!

At least everyone has old school sleds. It sucks riding with guys with the newer sleds that are getting 18+ mpg. They get ticked off when you have to head toward town every 100 miles for fuel. I guess I can't blame them, in town trails are usually terrible.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Yeah, I am usually the one who runs out of gas first, but somehow I got possibly the best gas mileage of anyone. Sled ran great, but I REALLY need to get someone to look at the clutching/gearing on it. Should be SO MUCH faster on the top end. Its a monster low to mid though!

0 Not allowed!

Maybe I'll get to ride this coming weekend, with the 6 inch forecast for wednesday.

Anyone know how to properly adjust toe? I've tried on dollies and on a concrete floor, and neither method works at all. Because of the slop in the steering on older sleds, I just can't get my toe out dialed in. One ski is always kicked in. Should it be done outside in a snowbank?

0 Not allowed!

Have sled sitting on the floor. Put a bungee cord across both ski tips. Then set toe dead straight. You'll gain toe out from the "play" once ridden.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Yeah, I am usually the one who runs out of gas first, but somehow I got possibly the best gas mileage of anyone. Sled ran great, but I REALLY need to get someone to look at the clutching/gearing on it. Should be SO MUCH faster on the top end. Its a monster low to mid though!
    What is your sled set up. I thought I heard you mention a bigger engine in you chassis?

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    What is your sled set up. I thought I heard you mention a bigger engine in you chassis?
    Its an 800 triple out of the XCR 800, with SLP pipes, in the 440 ProXR chassis.

It's not known for it fuel economy

0 Not allowed!

I assume the clutches are fully shifting out? Can you verify the belt is riding to the top of the primary and all the way to the bottom of the secondary? Has the chaincase gearing been changed since the 800 install? I'm assuming the 440 would have been geared lower.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff