Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Speeding ticket in NH

Speeding ticket in NH

Got a ticket last week coming home from boxshop. First one in a long time. Cop was cool and only wrote it up for 5mph over and said it shouldn't affect my license, I'm in Mass, ticket was in NH. I know the two states communicate, but if I check " no contest" and pay it, will it come up on my license and give me points?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Re: Speeding ticket in NH

I've also always been told that the two states talk but I haven't had 2 tickets show up my driving record with MA RMV, and they haven't affected my insurance.

However when I went to court to contest one of those tickets I mentioned 5 years ago, the NH trooper was able to pull see a ticket I received back in 2003.

So I really don't know what criteria a ticket would have to meet for it to be viewable by other states.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I've never had a NH ticket carry over to MA.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

I believe on paper it's supposed to show up, but for whatever reason, there's a lot of people with experiences that it doesn't. There's theories about 'not fighting it' or 'paying immediately' that keep it off, but I don't think I've seen any evidence to support this.

nedirtriders.com

Cool.

A local police friend said they usually only scan licenses locally. I guess they can use a national database, but rarely do. Even the NH officer said he couldn't see my record when he ran my license.

I was doing 78 in a 55, so was planning on just paying the $62. Seemed like a good deal. Just worried it would show up through rmv or insurance and bite me. Sounds like it will be all set. Thanks.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I got pegged on Rt 10 north of Keene NH like 6 years ago. Still paying for it.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

No real rhyme or reason as to whether they show up on your MA driving record or not from NH. I have had some that did and I have also had some that didn't (thankfully). Pay it and cross your fingers or try to fight it and spend the time to do so and risk the judge increasing the fine if he doesn't like your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I've also always been told that the two states talk but I haven't had 2 tickets show up my driving record with MA RMV, and they haven't affected my insurance.

However when I went to court to contest one of those tickets I mentioned 5 years ago, the NH trooper was able to pull see a ticket I received back in 2003.

So I really don't know what criteria a ticket would have to meet for it to be viewable by other states.
    they talk when they want to, the dunk that killed my grandson, had 7 previous drunk driving convictions in MA, yet somehow managed to get a valid NH license.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    they talk when they want to, the dunk that killed my grandson, had 7 previous drunk driving convictions in MA, yet somehow managed to get a valid NH license.
    I actually thought license suspensions and other serious criminal convictions were controlled by a different information-sharing agreement that was wider-reaching. But perhaps his NH license pre-dated those agreements.

nedirtriders.com

Our experience is if you pay the ticket right away they don't bother. Got a moving violation on a Sunday and literally stopped on the way home and mailed the ticket and a check.

YMMV, just my limited experience, which I hope to keep limited. I drive through Bradford and Newbury at exactly the speed limit.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-06-20 at 07:03 AM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Mass (along with Georgia, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin) are not members of the interstate DLC (drivers license compact) which is a data sharing network established between the states.
    There is still some inconsistencies, even with states that are members. If, for example, you are driving in NH a vehicle without an inspection sticker, but your home state of Oklahoma doesn't have a law requiring inspection stickers you won't get "dinged" for that in your home state.
    This doesn't mean that MA won't get the data, it just means they won't get it as part of the system, so there's really no way to know.

Technically there's also a separate list called the NRVC (non resident violators compact) which requires member states to suspend the license of people who haven't payed out of state tickets. (MA is a member of this agreement).

And just to complicate things, the 3rd list is called the DLA (Driver's License Agreement) that only has 3 states (Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Arkansas), which is seen as the "unifying" agreement (that almost no one is a member of).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

So wut happened?

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent