Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Sprinter build thread

Re: Sprinter build thread

Don’t think the 118 market could get any better than it is. Or was pre-Covid anyway.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thoughts on salvage title vehicles? Its just a matter of price...right. The mileage and color is enticing. If I can get the price into budget, could be a good buy.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...34826514131876

Some digging, ex-Amazon vehicle, looks like it traded hands at auction twice. Most recently for $13.4k. I'm waiting for salvage and repair report from the seller. I can estimate a reasonable offer if I add in repairs, a shipping estimate, and the fact the guy has to make a little money to do the deal (at least for now). I'm not in at $28k on this one, but bring it down closer to 20 and maybe I am.

https://en.bidfax.info/mercedes-benz...6jp625643.html

It doesn't look totaled to me, for a relatively new 45k vehicle. I imagine Amazon has some clout with insurance/repair shop to total everything - but just a hunch.

Maybe it isn't this van, but the next salvage title one, curious on thoughts from the peanut gallery.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-13-20 at 12:39 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Is that the same van in both listings? It looks good. Sprinters are pretty fragile in the front. I would think that may have tweaked the subframe.

Paul_E_D

My experience is that no matter how little you pay for a salvage vehicle, it’s too much. Many administrative hoops to jump through, mostly with the charming staffers at motor vehicle departments.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Is that the same van in both listings? It looks good. Sprinters are pretty fragile in the front. I would think that may have tweaked the subframe.
    Yeah, same one. Found it by VIN#. I'm not jumping at this one, but we'll see how long it sits. If it was 4cyl and 20k that would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    My experience is that no matter how little you pay for a salvage vehicle, it’s too much. Many administrative hoops to jump through, mostly with the charming staffers at motor vehicle departments.
    Agree to an extent. Just need to invest the time to figure out the process before hand.

I'm also over my fear of needing one with windows. I can just add my own with sliders/pop-outs.

The aftermarket windows with bottom slider are much cooler. My van has windows, but they don’t open. Other than demonstrating I’m out of candy they don’t do much.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

After some digging, the wire to the rear drivers side brake pad wear sensor is cut. Not the sensor, but the wire the sensor plugs in to. I'm guessing the code is intermittent only when it bumps into something and shorts out. However, I thought these sensors were typically grounds and only tripped when you broke the circuit. I dunno. I bought new rear pads, rotors, and sensors. I'll repair the cut wire, put on the new brakes, and see if it goes away.

I also started dissecting the e-brake mechanism and it is 100% frozen solid. I ordered a new one, but can't get the old one off because I can't untension the rear cables...because the mechanism is locked solid in the engaged mode. Will investigate and try to release when I do the rear brakes. I expect springs to fly.

I'm curious how it is fully locked but the e-brake isn't applied. Maybe its only half-engaged and the shoes are mostly worn? Paul did you remove the e-brake shoes (I saw a set in the spares pile).

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-13-20 at 12:57 PM.

I think I had to rebuild the whole thing as it was frozen, but I don't recall if the shoes were OK at the time or what. Apparently it's critical to use the ebrake regularly

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    it does depend on what state you're in, my daughter's first car was a salvaged Ford Tempo she bought from a body shop. Here in NH, there was no big deal registering or insuring it, same process you would go thru for any other used car. She owned it 2 years, and traded it in at a new car dealer, was allowed more than she paid for it, she was happy

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Well, female end of the brake pad wear sensor is toast. No idea what happened. I just capped off the cut line and the light is gone. If I can find a generic female end, I’ll wire it in but auto parts store couldn’t find one.

Glad this all happened cause the rear brakes were beyond toast. Pretty straight forward brake job, except the rotors get stuck on with the e brake. I actually found Paul’s old thread on sprinter forum asking about it! Figured that out and was able to loosen the ebrake cable enough to get the jammed mechanism removed. With it out of the car, I couldn’t even brake it free, so new one is on the way. Also gave the lower trim, wheels, and wheel arches some fresh paint.

She looks great and not a single light on the dash! I was nervous working on the city streets, but no issues. Thankful my landlord is a huge nerd like me and actually lent me a hand with a mega c clamp to compress the caliper.

Sprinter build thread-900f8af4-1c1e-46cd-8454-370f47505e70Sprinter build thread-25388aa6-3898-4828-9f0b-69f549a05fccSprinter build thread-88e1bf68-9303-4e40-a984-bcefd40fbcb1Sprinter build thread-2433c567-5548-45f2-ad3b-77b484b5249d

Wow those pads and rotor are crusty. Do Sprinters use an inner drum for the ebrake? I am about to dive into my yearly brake system refresh, new rotors, front wheel bearings, pads upfront new shoes in the rear and some new fluid.

Wow, yeah those were smoked! Glad the sensor thing didn't cause a persistent light. From my post can you tell how long ago I did the job?

Paul_E_D

The book said you did them all around at 148k miles. Its got 195k on it now. They were due. I did the fronts soon after I bought it.

I just took all the photos to potentially put it for sale and I dunno if I can do it! Its pretty immaculate right now. Not fitting bikes inside it sucks...and I always have several with me. But the 118 is so damn cool.

Re: Sprinter build thread-(Pictures are back!)

Don't do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

No traffic in Boston these days. Got fuel for the first time in one full month. Diesel was $2.52 a gallon and tank average was 24mpg. For mixed city / highway thatís amazing.

Posted this in the wrong thread by mistake...ha.

I listed it with a super high, bay area, "I don't need to sell this" price. I'd feel I'd be dumb to not sell at an offer over $20. Someone may NEED a 118 in their life...if not, I'll keep it in mine.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...126028554.html

I think it may sell at that price. But now you need a new van, plus all the equipment for the build out. There's some nice stuff in that van.

Paul_E_D

Highest price I’ve heard was $23,000 but that was East Coast.

Toying with the idea of driving mine cross country, then selling it in CA. Not sure that really makes sense, just an idea.

The hell with Rivnuts, switched to PlusNuts. Easier to install, unlikely to spin.

Getting close to done with most of my projects. They languished a bit but now I work on the van at least one day a week.

Got the ceiling L track mounted and two of the three ceiling panels. One will come back out again when I install a vent fan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprinter build thread-3dec1a15-b208-462c-b715-0c9090c62241  

Last edited by Garandman; 05-28-20 at 06:34 AM.

Two people coming to look at it tomorrow. It took a bit, but the real craigslist folks eventually started to show themselves. I think it was sticker shock at first. Then they realized how expensive a built out NCV3 was, and eventually made their way back to my posting. We'll see what happens. Lots of built out ratty T1Ns for 17-35k in competition. I've been very up front that I'm not that motivated to sell, not looking to haggle much, and you can't compare the longer wheel bases with the 118. Either you want the 118 or you don't. Its weeded out a few, but these two seem genuinely excited.

The clock is ticking. It looks like we're driving back east this weekend either in my van, a new van, or trying to find a roof top tent for the golf. Was holding out for a ski-tour up Shasta, but weather isn't cooperating this weekend.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 06-01-20 at 01:57 PM.

Good luck!

Still no traffic in Boston and been keeping it under 70 on the highway. Last tank 26.2mpg! And payed $2.29 for diesel - cheapest price is the NH rest area Irving stations for some reason.

If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I have a deposit down on a replacement van. As long as everything checks out when I see it, should be picking it up Friday or Saturday on my voyage to Boston....

Haven't started scheming too much, other than general layout. Really need to get into it first and see how things feel. Taking a lot of inspiration from Freedom Vans, especially on the bed/bike tray set-up.

http://freedomvans.co/project/polley-gone/

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I have a deposit down on a replacement van. As long as everything checks out when I see it, should be picking it up Friday or Saturday on my voyage to Boston....
    Whachu get?

If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

Assuming it works out...2016 high roof 144" Crew Van w/ 2.1cyl diesel & 7-speed.

I'm nervous about registration woes. The dealer say they will give me a 30 day temporary plate.

I have a Cali license, but also have a residence in MA...hoping I can register it in MA since I'm going to be here more than 30 days. The google says I should be able to even with an out of state ID...but we'll see what happens in real life.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 06-22-20 at 02:30 PM.