Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Sprinter build thread

Re: Sprinter build thread

And I jinxed it. They bought the car from Florida and don't have the title yet. Guess I'll look at it and need to go back later to pick it up once they get the title. Its in New York - not the furthest drive, but would have been nicer to do it all in one shot.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Can someone with dealership experience help me decipher this? See carfax below. Dealer is saying they are waiting on the title from Florida and that it is backed up due to Covid. Looking at the Carfax, it appears they registered it at the end of January. From my understanding, the dealership is like a person: when you register a car with an out of state title, the RMV keeps the title and mails you a new one from the state you register in. Could they really still be waiting for a title from a car they registered in January?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...PE7DD6GP251117

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I don't know, but in good times mine took over a month to get titled over from New Mexico. It wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 06-24-20 at 10:31 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I don't know, but in good times mine took over a month to get titled over from arizona. It wouldn't surprise me.
    I guess if any place has been hit hard...its NYC. I don't get the vibe this place is being shady - they told me they wouldn't want to sell me the van without the title. I assume a shady dealer would be trying to get me to take it ASAP.
    Its a good deal, I worked a good price, seems reasonable to wait it out. Not in a rush.

They told me they expect the title today. I'm swinging by on Monday to see it on my way home.

Mass RMV questions:
    1) How is it these days?
    2) Think I'm going to have issues without an MA license? This link says I don't need one: https://www.mass.gov/service-details...e-registration
    3) Would you risk driving it home unregistered? All I got is the front CA plate from my current van to slap on it. Otherwise, its an 8 hour round trip to pick it up later.

In Maine, I can get a 10 day temporary plate with a VIN and proof of insurance for the express purpose of driving a new to me vehicle directly home. It's how I brought my RV home from PA. Does MA have a similar option?

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Nope. No temporary tags in MA. They want you to go to RMV with all the paperwork and get plates, then you can go get your car.

I think I'm too risk adverse to try driving it home with the wrong plate. Don't think the dealership has any intention of letting me borrow a plate either.

Maybe I can find a cycling route to Long Island to go get it...

Will the dealer issue a NY temp tag? I know MA doesn't "recognize" them. But speaking from experience they do not seem to bother people driving around on out of state temp tags. (I've commuted into MA with NH temp plates on autos and motorcycles several times over the years.)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Will the dealer issue a NY temp tag? I know MA doesn't "recognize" them. But speaking from experience they do not seem to bother people driving around on out of state temp tags. (I've commuted into MA with NH temp plates on autos and motorcycles several times over the years.)
    Dealer said no...that they can only do it to the state I'm going to reg it in. I'll pressure them more when I'm there. I also asked if I could do CA and they said no, if I plan to register in MA. Would love someone with dealership experience to provide an opinion.

Still futzing with where to stow bike(s). For this trip with one bike used a Condor stand in front and ran rear straps to make sure it doesn’t slide forward or side to side. Still thinking about L track down the middle of the floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprinter build thread-106a4508-010c-483f-90c7-76d3f4059e0b  

Last edited by Garandman; 06-25-20 at 01:04 PM.
    If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

I have a pair of these wheel chocks in my trailer and really like them. That plus L-track strategically located; two single position tracks forward of the chocks and two ~2' strips near where the rear wheel of the motorcycle will fall. Makes for a nearly universal setup that will hold nearly anything from a pit-bike to a full-boat tourer. Then when you take out the l-track clips and chocks there is very little left to trip over.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Fun fact! MA doesn't get a vote, they HAVE to accept out of state temp tags if legally issued in another state.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Is the 5k pound towing rating a rule or more of a guideline....asking for a friend considering towing a van with a van.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Is the 5k pound towing rating a rule or more of a guideline....asking for a friend considering towing a van with a van.
    I've towed a vanagon with my vanagon...... 4 wheels on the ground make a huge difference if using a tow bar. Also how much does your van weigh in at? You could use a tow dolly if its 2wd or flat bed it. I've towed all sorts of shit with my van.... and that thing has a transaxle made of glass.

Was gonna be uhaul trailer. Wasn’t thinking about the dolly one though. Both vans are ~5k lbs.

We’ve towed just under 6,000 lbs with an empty 118 on a very hot day. In Europe max weight is 7,700 but 6K was about as much as I’d want to pull.

If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

Still no title on the Crew Van in Long Island. I think I'm giving up my search for a Crew Van and going to accept a cargo van. I'll just add my own windows. I like this idea better because the cargo vans are cheaper, way more available, and I can install better windows with pop-outs.

I went perusing this week at a MA dealership. They were supposed to have three 144wb 4cyl cargo vans. I get there and only 1 of them is a high roof. It was pretty beat up from contractor use, but a solid van nonetheless. However, wasn't prepped yet so I couldn't test drive it. I have an unofficial ROFN on it once they get it prepped. I also went and saw one a cargo van at a local wholesaler. It was a great vehicle but we couldn't agree on price, so it still sits there. We'll see what happens with it.

I'm building this one from the top down. With Paul's van, I didn't have to do much research on the solar set-up because it was already installed. I learned a lot re-installing it, but now I am massively equipped with knowledge having to do it from scratch. Here is the part's list so far that is either on its way or already here. I wasn't planning on buying so much up front, but lots of back-ordered/out of stock parts I've been chipping away at.

-Rhino rack roof rails
    -Rhino rack pioneer platform
    -MaxxAir 7500k roof fan
    -2 Renogy 160w mono panels (will wire in series)
    -200ah Renogy AGM batter
    -Renogy 60a combined MPPT/isolater (this will monitor solar and alternator power all in one unit, 60 amps total split any way between the two)

I decided I wanted a platform to minimize holes in the roof for solar. The only hole will be for cables by mounting to a platform. This is what I'm picturing:

The 200ah, 300w set-up I have now is working great, so no real reason to change it. However, I'm going from 1 panel up to 2 panels, and 2 batteries down to 1 battery. The two panels fits the roof layout better, and 1 battery will be more convenient in the van. Still deciding on inverter size. The main thing I want to run is an electric tea kettle which is 900w. So I'll probably go 1k-1.5k on the inverter.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-04-20 at 08:49 AM.

I have a renogy panel on my trailer. It has been solid.

Is 160W the latest and greatest? I had read somewhere that capacities had grown into the >200W territory now.

One battery?! Is that enough. Were I to do mine over again I'd do 2x 6v golf cart cells. 4x the capacity for 2x the price. My use is so low that 1 battery is enough. But I do worry about it. I am running a wet cell and trying to keep it above 50% charge all the time as well.

Have you thought about an induction cook top instead of that kettle?

It’s a reallllly big battery. Already 12v. No loss in efficiency with just one. Combined with the MPPT solar controller it’s a good setup as far as efficiency goes.

This is the panel. From what I can tell it’s their latest. I could go with a solo 200 or 300, but roof layout gets trickier. My power needs are a fridge and roof fan, not a ton of draw. This is relatively overkill as is.

https://www.renogy.com/160-watt-12-v...e-solar-panel/

I am going to do a propane one burner cook top, but I just don’t like the idea of running propane in the van if I don’t need to. I’ve done it before and it’s fine, but I don’t feel comfortable leaving propane hooked up all the time and an electric kettle is just easy. I’m a weekend warrior/day tripper. I mostly just make coffee and oatmeal and rarely do a lot of cooking.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-04-20 at 08:56 AM.

What battery? Mine is just over 100AH. My draw is like yours minus the inverter. Cooler style truck fridge. Roof fan. Stupid low draw (and not very bright) led cove lights in the ceiling and 12v charge outlets for the phone and toys. I've never even thought of pushing a heating element. I had wanted to upsize to push an electric blanket. A kettle would have been sweet too. But not on a single battery.

https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-ag...ah-back-order/

I'll also be running an espar heater, they use 0.8-2ah depending which cycles its on. So if its absolutely freezing out its drawing ~16ah for an 8 hour sleep. If its only slightly cold it cycles on/off and uses barely anything. I've stealth camped through the eastern sierra in the winter and never found the bottom of the battery set-up (running fridge and heater the whole time, and various chargers) so that is my benchmark for adequacy.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I routinely tow 1500 lbs with my 1100lb utv, however that is what it is rated to tow

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

For an AGM! I like that better. Very nice.

I think I finally got the vehicle. Private party deal, plumber downsizing his fleet. Test drove, negotiated a price, and put a deposit on it today. He still has a lien on it with Mercedes, so hopefully that is easy to figure out on Monday - he was very down to do be flexible to make it go as smoothly as possible. I've never bought or sold anything with a lien outside of a dealership so not sure exactly how it goes - ideally I cut Mercedes a check to pay it off and him the remainder. Since its Mercedes, I assume they've done this a bunch.

Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong! Good vibes all around with seller, but by posting this I probably jinx it.

2016, 4cyl 7 speed, 35k miles, clean carfax, dealer performed maintenance and recalls. Its a really good van. Selling the fancy ladder rack and interior shelving will probably cover the whole solar set-up! I also can return some of the expensive rack parts I bought since it comes with them.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-11-20 at 10:41 AM.

Looks like a good base.

Paul_E_D