Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 203031323334353637383940

Sprinter build thread

Re: Sprinter build thread

Are you going to cut an intake hole in the pedestal for the heater? I;ve run my heater out west without the high altitude chip, it still works, but if you use diesel it can smoke fairly badly at startup. I use kerosene now and dont have issues even at 10k feet

- - - Updated - - -

Also Jay you properly fucked up your thumb, sheet metal do that?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Are you going to cut an intake hole in the pedestal for the heater? I;ve run my heater out west without the high altitude chip, it still works, but if you use diesel it can smoke fairly badly at startup. I use kerosene now and dont have issues even at 10k feet

- - - Updated - - -

Also Jay you properly fucked up your thumb, sheet metal do that?
    No intake hole, there is a plastic cover on the side of the pedestal that I will replace with a vented one for some additional air flow. A lot of people don't even do that as the pedestal isn't really sealed up. You might get a slight vacuum but not enough to restrict airflow meaningfully

It was your classic busted finger move. I was scraping away some stuff with quite some force when it gave way and I smashed right into the recently cut window. It pushed the nail off from the back. I thought it went through the middle of my finger to push it off, but it JUST grabbed the side, so it only took a small chunk of skin off with it. The nail is completely gone now and things are a lot better.

I've been considering the high altitude module just to be safe. It isn't as cheap as I would like, but it would really suck to regret not having it. I think Kerosene burns a lot cleaner than diesel, so probably why you aren't having problems. Would suck to not have heat and thrash my heater at the same time.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Left Boston today to go pick up a 2 person seat. Got about 50 miles out Mass Pike and going up a hill, power suddenly reduced and I could only hold 60mph. No dash lights.

Pulled into a rest area and plugged in the BlueTooth OBDII reader. Code was P0299 “Turbo underboost.” Turned around and headed home.

The most frequent cause of this is bad intake hose: but Zombie made a point of changing it. Next most likely culprit is turbo resonator. Disconnected output hose, revved engine to 2500rpm, and covered outlet. I could feel the pressure fluctuating.

Disconnected the hoses on the passenger side and spotted a gap in the turbo resonator. They are made of glass reinforced nylon in two parts, sonically welded together. That material does not weld well, so after thousands of thermal cycles, they split apart. Like this.

There is an aftermarket part from Dorman that supposedly never breaks for $50-60, but most people are now going to an aluminum resonator eliminator: basically a straight aluminum pipe. One of the first spares ordered!

The only finicky part is the two bolts that hold it on: they are E8’s, external star heads. The nuts are captured, so, if, theoretically, you try to remove the nut, you break it loose.

Going to take it for a spin tomorrow but should be all set!

Next is ceramic tint on side and rear glass. The dealer suggested I also do the door glass, but I’m reluctant. Anyone do it?

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Thanks for the heater info. Considering one of the cheap 2kw Chinese heaters since they’re so much cheaper. I know they’re less reliable but I would only be using it occasionally.

What drawer slides did you go with? I’ve been looking on Amazon for 48”-60” slides and they all seem to be in the $150 and up range. Weight capacities are 250-500 lbs which is overkill for the bikes I plan to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTurbo6 View Post
    Thanks for the heater info. Considering one of the cheap 2kw Chinese heaters since they’re so much cheaper. I know they’re less reliable but I would only be using it occasionally.

What drawer slides did you go with? I’ve been looking on Amazon for 48”-60” slides and they all seem to be in the $150 and up range. Weight capacities are 250-500 lbs which is overkill for the bikes I plan to hold.
    I had to order outside of amazon. They're 60 inch, 500 pound slides and I paid over $400 I think but seem to be on sale now:
    https://www.siraweb.com/drawer-slides-s-8435

You don't think you need that much support, but at 60 inches there is a TON of leverage on them. I am nervous when I have a load of tools on the tray, but so far so good. You also need 60 inches to fit bikes. A large 29er comes close to maxing this out. A road bike with Drop bars is even a little worse.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Had ceramic tint installed on the rear and side glass today.

It turns out Sprinter has a powered antenna. Could barely get 98.5 at the NH border. Krank It Up hooked up the [blue, I think] wire and now stations come in much stronger.

Finally! Had to drop the fuel tank and drill 1” holes in the box section to secure the driver side bracket, but pretty straightforward. Used a motorcycle lift to support the tank and lower it. Grade 8 7/16 bolts, washers, and locknuts.

You can probably do it flat but access is much easier (and less likely to spill) if you lift the front. JC Whitney steel ramps. Added two jack stands Just in case.

Release fuel filler and vent:vent is just behind and above filler. Squeeze rubber to get it loose.

Fuel tank is pretty heavy and awkward, even empty. Used a motorcycle lift.

There are to straps holding the tank. Penetrant, 13mm deep socket and a torque gun make it fast.

Used a piece of wood drilled on a drill press as a guide for the hole in the bottom of the support beam.

The reason you drop the fuel tank is to get access to the support beam. Clearance holes have to made to apply the nuts holding the brackets. 1” will clear the socket and fender washer for a 7/16” bolt.

Taped the washer in place so it could be inserted in the blind hole.

1” nylon cap seals it, though the tank protects the area.

If you are working alone, you have to hold the head of the bolt while you tighten it.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-07-20 at 08:16 AM.

Were you in the 75th RR? Or did something else but had to go through Ranger school?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Were you in the 75th RR? Or did something else but had to go through Ranger school?
    The Regiments have scrolls. Graduates of the Ranger Course wear the tab. Enlisted as Infantry, got pulled out to go to OCS, and my Cavalry Officers class had eight slots to Ranger School which we competed for.

The graduation rate for our class was 44%. Seven of us graduated, the eighth got hit by a car.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-07-20 at 07:48 AM.

My weekend was mostly building drawer boxes. The grey water tank is in the center drawer, behind that vertical board. I think I'll put a trash can in the front. It seems like a waste of space but its the #1 thing that is a pain in the ass on quick trips. No more hanging plastic bags and jamming crap in them until they rip.

No cabinets! I'm not getting on my hands and knees to get anything. The fridge is also a drawer style fridge and will go bottom right.

The giant box on top is the power inverter. The box below is a 12v fuse box on the right side and 120v panel on the left w/ breakers.

I also did some work on the bed platform to make it removeable in 4 pieces. No photos. Its 4 pieces of plywood held and a frame of angle iron. Nothing fancy.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 10-07-20 at 08:09 AM.

Beautiful work!

Xantrex!

That load center seems immense. Is that 12 AC circuits I'm counting? Dude.

You should consider chucking a 1/4" or 1/8" round over up in a palm router and going to town on those drawer edges.

Excited to see this all put together. Living vicariously here.

The fuse panel is big. But it’s neat. I have a master breaker and then 3 double pole breakers in there. Nothing wired yet, but I’ll put 3 outlets in and then have spares. A lot of blank space below for wires, but this was the best option I could find that would do it all.

I have a ton of finish work to do. They’ll all get drawer faces. I’m actually nervous about this because the panels are big enough that I’ll need to do a frame and panel style for them to not warp. That’s a lot of tongue and groove only using a table saw. I might clean up the tops of the drawer boxes with a slight round, but also thinking a quick sand would be good enough after staring at the nice cabinets in my house. Going frameless on the cabinets, so I’ll probably just put a piece of veneer over the exposed edges and paint.

I bought a nail gun, but haven’t used it yet. The drawer boxes are all biscuits and glued. Not a single nail! I guess when you get old and start wood working, not using nails is a right of passage?

Looks like there is space for a 2nd master and 3 more double poles. So 12 protected circuits in all. My wife had a 1200 sqft home with a 200 AMP feed and a panel only a bit bigger than that!

I'm not a traditionalist. (But my father is!) I don't make screw & nail free shaker furniture. I have dabbled in making cabinets though. Using a nail gun is going to speed your work up 1000x. Tap, tap, tap, tap and you have a drawer box just like that! If you are putting the boxes together right then they will still be strong enough. Especially if you are doing frameless, nobody is going to see the nail holes. So tap, tap, tap away. I like the pocket screws for the cabinet boxes. But it is overkill and time consuming for the drawer boxes IMO.

You can use a router and guide to cut the grooves. Or a dado blade for the table saw. I can highly recommend the diablo stack.
    I'm half in the market for an old radial arm saw just to leave the dado stack loaded up and leave a thin kerf ripping blade in the table saw.

One of the things on my todo list is to build out a router cabinet/table. I bought a nice router lift and fence assemblies (rockler). I have an old stationary router ready to go into it. Just need to find the time to build all this out. Really that is part of a miter saw station I'd like to build with more cabinet space in place of the portable miter station I have now. Someday.

Found estimated weights of 4,600 lbs to 4,990 lbs for my 118 Cargo. So today brought it to a truck scale and they weighed it for $12.

Van has insulation, some plywood paneling, and a second row seat. With the fuel tank topped off, it was 4,840.

Diesel is about 7lbs/gal so fuel (topped off) was about 180 lbs. Not sure what the second row seat weighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Found estimated weights of 4,600 lbs to 4,990 lbs for my 118 Cargo. So today brought it to a truck scale and they weighed it for $12.

Van has insulation, some plywood paneling, and a second row seat. With the fuel tank topped off, it was 4,840.

Diesel is about 7lbs/gal so fuel (topped off) was about 180 lbs. Not sure what the second row seat weighs.
    Haul some metal to a scrap yard and get weighed for free....

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Any of you upgrade the cooling system? Apparently there is one fan clutch that works better than stock.

When I was underneath the van last week installing the turbo resonator eliminator, found some cooling hoses weeping and some transmission cooler fittings corroded. So it’s in the shop to have them all replaced with new OEM parts.

Of course now the second row seat is in place, need to move bikes and furniture and it needs to come out.

Update: Replacement of the radiator and most of the cooling and transmission cooling lines. The parts are north of $500 but having a rock-solid cooling system is pretty important. Planning a trip to the Rockies as well as down south and they seem to work pretty hard at elevation.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-19-20 at 02:37 PM.

Well, new radiator and mostly all new transmission and cooling lines and I’m ready for summer! Bonus was mechanics broke the hood release cable so got a new one for free.

Bought a big-ass NAPA AGM battery on sale. Good thing as that money will go towards the $150 battery support....But having a battery come adrift is a bad, bad ting.

W..why aren't you just 3D printing yourself a new battery support?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Why stop there, 3D print the battery!

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Fuck it, 3D print the whole van!

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

1. ABS is an amorphous resin: they don’t stand up to oil exposure, they tun back into oil....
    2. HDT is about 265°: needs to be much higher for under hood use.
    3. There isn’t enough of the OEM part left to model.
    4. Wouldn’t be strong enough for a 58 lb battery, although we’ve added carbon fiber pultrusions before to help stiffen it.
    5. It would cost more.

Right now I’m printing some optical housings, and some end caps for Thule crossbars. Better fit.

Last edited by Garandman; Today at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Why stop there, 3D print the battery!
    One terrific application is to print holders for all the cells necessary to build a LiFeP04 battery. Apparently you can build your own for about 20% of the cost.