Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squirrels in the attic / roof?

xxaarraa

Squirrels in the attic / roof?

I got an interesting text from my tenant this morning -

"Hi xx, just wanted you to know we hear what sounds like a ton of squirrels living in the roof. We hear hem every morning running around. It doesnt annoy us, but just thought you would like to know as the homeowner. Im not sure if they are in the roof or on the roof, but it sounds to me like in."

WTH?!?!

Could it be rats? I have seen no evidence of rats in the basement or anywhere else for that matter, so I am not sure.

I am getting Terminix to do a termite treatment this summer, and I'd like to combine this if I can. Does Terminix or similar companies do squirrel removal? Or are there things I can do on my own to investigate and remedy?

Thoughts appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 06-09-17 at 12:29 PM.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Re: Squirrels in the attic / roof?

dont wait till summer ( if htat ever gets here)
    they can chew wiring , have babies etc.. you need a animal removal service. and figure out how they got in there, then seal it up.

Might be mice in the walls too or even bats (google bat bugs like bed bugs could be bad)

- - - Updated - - -

ps you could catch and release somewhere else... but thats illegal. but you could do it.

hmmmm......

it is surprising how much noise a tiny rodent can make in a wall or ceiling, best solution is a cat

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    dont wait till summer ( if htat ever gets here)
    they can chew wiring , have babies etc.. you need a animal removal service. and figure out how they got in there, then seal it up.

Might be mice in the walls too or even bats (google bat bugs like bed bugs could be bad)

- - - Updated - - -

ps you could catch and release somewhere else... but thats illegal. but you could do it.
    Don't think it would be bats, I have had them before, and they usually only make noise in the wall at night. Those fuckers are a PIA to get rid of though

Lifer

we had mice in the attic - plugged in a couple of those sonic things and they moved on. Assume they would work for squirrels?

As mentioned, it is surprising how much noise a mouse can make in a wall or ceiling. My last house was brand new and in the first year, I heard mice crawling in my attic. They were climbing up the power wire on the side of the house, up on the roof, and in through a small space I left under the soffit trim on one of my dormers. First thing I did was fix where they were getting in, then poison baits in the attic. Never heard them again, and the attic was ventilated , so no dead mouse smell.
    Exterminator is only a bandaid and will be short lived if you don't fix how they are getting in.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Our kitten found a mouse a few weeks ago, and I went and brought a shit load of traps and never was able to catch the fucker. so that means:
    1. hopefully the cat scared it away
    2. she ate it
    3. thank god she didn't kill it and bring me the body in bed.

Although yesterday I'm laying in bed and I hear what's sounds like a marathon running across my bedroom roof, as its an addition and the ceilings are vaulted.
    I'm not a huge fan of the cat but lately she has been going after spiders in my basement. This bitch is a cold hearted killer.

A guy at my old job had a side business as a nuisance wildlife control guy in the CT area. Its usually flying squirrels in attics around here. I'll PM you his number, he would be a great guy to ask about what you could do on your own, or possibly recommend someone in your area.

-Matt

xxaarraa

Are there any common ways of investigating how they are getting in? I plan to get in the attic and look around with a flashlight, but curious what if anything I can look for specifically.

I have squirrels in my house, they nested under our 2nd floor deck and then got into the walls/under the roof. They have scratched the shit out of the corner of the house where they were climbing up to get under the deck. Chewed a bunch of holes where there shouldn't be holes, and just generally fucked shit up. My landlord is of the opinion that "they only nest for a week or two and then they will leave." Nope. They've been in and out for months now, super annoying and destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Are there any common ways of investigating how they are getting in? I plan to get in the attic and look around with a flashlight, but curious what if anything I can look for specifically.
    See my comment about how they scratched the shit out of the corner of my house. Apparently this is common, so you could try looking for lots of horizontal scratch marks going up a corner of the house somewhere.

We have had flying squirrels runnng around for years. Our fix, save a heart trap baited with peanut butter and sprinkled with bird seeds. Usually catch 4-5 of them over a week right two. Once we catch the family they seem to be gone for a while but return at some point.

We have also set rat traps baited the same way. Have caught a few that way.

Choose your poison.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    LRRS #246 - Central Mass Powersports / Northeast Cycle / Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Check the eaves. Squirrels will shit, piss, chew insulation off wires, and do other damage like others mentioned. This reminds me of an attic I had to repair wiring from squirrels. It was near the eave so I had to lay down and crawl in there. I was in better shape than I am now but I was basically doing a plank and resting and planking more doing the repair or I'd be lying in shit and piss. Musta sweated a gallon of water too.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    As mentioned, it is surprising how much noise a mouse can make in a wall or ceiling. My last house was brand new and in the first year, I heard mice crawling in my attic. They were climbing up the power wire on the side of the house, up on the roof, and in through a small space I left under the soffit trim on one of my dormers. First thing I did was fix where they were getting in, then poison baits in the attic. Never heard them again, and the attic was ventilated , so no dead mouse smell.
    Exterminator is only a bandaid and will be short lived if you don't fix how they are getting in.
    Find out where they are getting in and stuff it with steel wool. They don't like chewing it anymore than you would. Then trap the ones stuck inside and shoot all the ones you see outside, it's fun.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

I've lived in the woods my whole life and have never had rats before but from the tail end of last year until a couple of weeks ago, I've eliminated 4. The first one I heard screaming in my mudroom because the cat was playing with it. It hid on me behind some construction material but I flushed it out and wacked it with my woodstove shovel. Number 2 I kept seeing in my garage. I set squirrel traps but didn't have any luck. Then one day I was preparing to go to the dump and pulled the bag out of my 55-gallon BRUTE garbage can. 3 minutes later I wandered back in the garage and the stupid thing had jumped in and couldn't get out. He got bludgeoned with a stick for his effort. Number 3 I also spotted in my garage and once again I didn't have any luck with the squirrel trap. Then one day I was going to the dump again and the same exact thing happened. The rat jumped in not 30 seconds after I took the garbage bag out. My bludgeoning stick wasn't readily accessible so I dropped a brick on him.

Number 4 is the funnier story. A rat managed to get the attention of one of my dogs who tormented it enough that my wife and I heard it screaming from upstairs. I ran down to the living room and heard some rustling near one of my large floor standing speakers. I shook one of them and heard a scream from inside so it had crawled through one of the bass ports on the rear. Not knowing what to do initially, I laid the speaker down on its back so it couldn't escape. My wife, petrified of all things rodent, decided to be present while I tried to get it out. I ended up having to take the woofer out and I tried to use my bludgeoning stick to pin the rat down inside the speaker while I grabbed it with my heavy woodstove gloves. Unfortunately the stick wouldn't fit where he was hiding so I regrouped with the rod end of a mortar mixer. This time while I was slowly moving the woofer out of the way, the rat squeezed through the gap before I could react and bolted across my living room causing my wife scream wildly while running in a complete circle before exiting the room and heading upstairs. In the commotion, I could not swing at it for fear of hitting her so it ran and hid behind the sofa. I pulled the sofa away from the wall and instead of running away from me, the stupid thing ran right towards me. One clean whack with the mortar mixer and rat number 4 was no longer. I took it up stairs to show my now calm wife how essential my services are only to stir up another screaming fit while my boys thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I'm hoping it was only a family of 4 because things have been quiet after I eliminated the last one. I only have a picture of number 1.

Squirrels in the attic / roof?-20160229_211414-jpg

Last edited by ZX-12R; 06-09-17 at 08:33 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

hollow points

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

We had flying squirrels in our attic when we first bought the house. They were getting in through a rotted fascia board behind a gutter. I had that fixed and in the meantime, eliminated the pests one by one. I got one in a rat trap, another in a special trap that a trapper friend lent me - like a Havahart, but fine mesh screen and bird seed. Another one took a pellet to the head. I killed them all since my friend the trapper said that they'll just come back if you let them go in the yard. The whole bit about catch and releasing somewhere else (like in a forest) being illegal is ridiculous. They're wild animals for Pete's sake! Anyway, they're all dead and long gone.

My cat takes care of the occasional mouse that shows up. He catches then, lets them go, re-catches them, tortures them, and eventually they die. It's his indoor hobby.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

ive got at least 1 rat living under my porch. its made quite the maze of underground tunnels that keep increasing. my wife insists on using a squirrel trap but weve had no luck. trap malfunctions, piles of ants getting the bait and setting off the trap etc. she wont let me poison it. i spotted it in the garage the other day. thats the last straw. i bring home snap traps tonight.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Don't use poison, you'll end up with dead rodent carcasses rotting in your walls and crawl spaces. Kill traps or trap and release them miles away.

-Matt

@OP - I'd also check with an exterminator that has good reviews - good ones have a good "feel" for rodents and know what to look out for. Been to a place with pests and he immediately pointed out the gutter with scratches and chewed corners; which is how the rodents got in.

mice/rats - peanut butter attracts them well...there are some humane traps that get 'em stuck (check youtube) or sticky traps to throw 'em out

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I took it up stairs to show my now calm wife how essential my services are only to stir up another screaming fit while my boys thought it was the coolest thing ever.

family adventure

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-11-17 at 10:08 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Damn, you are one ice cold motherfucker. bravo.

xxaarraa

OK I have an update on this. I had Terminix come out and do both termite and squirrel inspections. He did find squirrel droppings in the attic, some very moist. And there is a big tree that has overgrown on the side of the house, seeming like an obvious way the squirrels are getting in -I am going to call a tree service to have the tree removed. Hate to cut down a live tree, but don't want to deal with the hassle on a rental property. He also noticed wire mesh installed in several places around the house to keep squirrels out - must have been done during previous ownership.

He quoted me $1140 to do an initial "squirrel exclusion" - they come in and install one way trap doors everywhere, come back every two weeks and inspect till they are certain all squirrel fuckers are gone. Then $200 every year to keep squirrels out, with bi-annual inspections. Between their biannual inspections, I can supposedly also call and schedule an inspection if I have reason to believe there are squirrels in the house. All expenses covered by Terminix as long as contract is current.

I wanted this done and over with, since I am so busy right now. So I went ahead and purchased this "exclusion contract" They will be coming out in a few days to start the process. Will keep you guys posted on how it turns out.

Oh, he didn't find any live termites in the house and recommended I don't do any treatments now. There are already termite baits buried in the ground around the house, though I think they are at least 2 years old. But when I pressed him about preventative treatment, he did offer a termite maintenance contract - $1300 up front for them to come and install in-ground baits, spray existing termite damaged areas (house has at one point had termite damage) and then they come out each year and inspect/replace baits for $279. I am considering this as well, and inclined to write off both the squirrel contract and termite maintenance as part of yearly property insurance.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 06-13-17 at 08:52 PM.

Yeah whatever...I do that if so don't have time either

Or get the plan from Terminix, and setup your own traps LOL

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Sat at my bedroom window a few days ago and have determined that weve got at least 6 rats under the deck.
    1 big one and several smaller ones.
    Traps arent doing it.
    I brought home a pellet gun the other day. Ive sniped 2 from the bedroom window so far.
    Good news is i found at least 1 entrance to the garage. I blocked it with a snap trap. Anything tries that hole is gonna have a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Sat at my bedroom window a few days ago and have determined that weve got at least 6 rats under the deck.
    1 big one and several smaller ones.
    Traps arent doing it.
    I brought home a pellet gun the other day. Ive sniped 2 from the bedroom window so far.
    Good news is i found at least 1 entrance to the garage. I blocked it with a snap trap. Anything tries that hole is gonna have a bad day.
    If you saw 6 you have 60. Those fuckers multiply fast. Rodents run along the edges of walls and things.

This is what I was told by an exterminator I know. Put traps towards the middle of a run. They slow down to take corners so keep them away from a corner so they run past at speed. Also do not place the trap parallel to the wall, place it so the trap part faces the wall, this way they can't jump back from the trap. He also said he only uses cotton and not peanut butter or food. They love cotton for bedding.

We have an electric mouse trap in our office and it is awesome. The mouse goes in and gets electrocuted.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast