Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Squirrels in the attic / roof?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: Squirrels in the attic / roof?

Thats my fear
    I put rat x out and they ate it up. I had to replace 2 or 3 of them after the first day.
    Activity started to die down but after about 4 days i saw 3.
    A day or so later i got the poison. I put it out but they havent touched it. With that said though, i havent seen any activity. Maybe the rat x kicked in.

Cleaning the garage the other day and had to seal up 3 entrances. One was through a crack in the floor. There may be more openings but havent made it to that side of the garage yet.

In a couple of days im probably going to cover all the burrow holes i can find and see if any return.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

xxaarraa

OK, I have an update on this. Terminix came a few weeks ago for the first time and installed one way trap doors on the outside of the house in a few different places. They came back today, went in the attic, found the hole through which the squirrels were entering and sealed that up. They will be back in two more weeks to do another inspection.

In the meantime, I had an overgrown tree by the side of the house trimmed.

I also went ahead and installed a "T3-R sentry" ultrasonic device in the attic about a week ago. It was very well reviewed by a few different independent sources, and at $60, I figured it was worth a try. Since I installed it, the tenants have not heard any squirrels so I believe it may be working.

Amazon.com : T3-R Triple High Impact Mice, Rat, Rodent Repeller : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Between the ultrasonic beacon and sealing all entry ways, I think the squirrel problem may have been averted (fingers crossed).

Lifer

Cool - we had good success with those sonic things.

Cleanest and quickest way I've found was using the Rat Zapper. Shuts them off like a switch. LED flashes to let you know someone checked in.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    OK, I have an update on this. Terminix came a few weeks ago for the first time and installed one way trap doors on the outside of the house in a few different places. They came back today, went in the attic, found the hole through which the squirrels were entering and sealed that up. They will be back in two more weeks to do another inspection.

In the meantime, I had an overgrown tree by the side of the house trimmed.

I also went ahead and installed a "T3-R sentry" ultrasonic device in the attic about a week ago. It was very well reviewed by a few different independent sources, and at $60, I figured it was worth a try. Since I installed it, the tenants have not heard any squirrels so I believe it may be working.

Amazon.com : T3-R Triple High Impact Mice, Rat, Rodent Repeller : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Between the ultrasonic beacon and sealing all entry ways, I think the squirrel problem may have been averted (fingers crossed).
    OK I have an update on the squirrel situation.

After some of the entryways were sealed off last summer and the sonic beacons were put in, things quietened down a bit. But then the squirrels reappeared and started getting VERY loud up in the attic and roof over the winter. I tried setting bait traps, and they didn't do anything (surprisingly the damn squirrels ate the bait and walked off coolly without getting trapped) I then tried poison (JT Eaton bait block and d-con) and nada, didn't seem to kill any of them.

So I kept calling the Terminix guys over and over. Nice thing about this exclusion contract is you can call them as many times as you want, till the problem is fixed. They did 2 or 3 more visits in a 6 month span and sealed off more holes.

I also had all the trees in the property removed by a tree service. I believe the trees were providing easy launch pads for them to access the 3rd floor attic and roof.

The squirrels seem to have quietened down again, the tenants say they haven't heard them in a few weeks. Terminix did mention that it might take over a year to successfully remove squirrels from a property through exclusion. Not sure if that's true or not, but they do keep coming back every time I call so at least they are good on that regard.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-15-18 at 03:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12