Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stereo Speaker Help - for Music + TV

looking for a set of 2 small speakers (close to computer size speakers) that i can tie into an older sony stereo receiver (which ties into an older sony multi-disc cd player)...needs to have wires out of them with stab connectors (bare wire ends)...unless there is some type of adapter that can accommodate the transition...if if could connect to a modern samsung tv that would be good also (not sure on the connection method yet, may have to go through the receiver)...this is for my parents...any advice would be appreciated...thanks

adapter
    Amazon.com: 3.5mm STEREO MINI PLUGS TO OPEN END 10': Home Audio & Theater

it will be going on the shelf even with the drawer...stereo equipment not shown but will be on the bottom middle shelf...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 03-21-17 at 01:40 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: Stereo Speaker Help - for Music + TV

ideally there would be a remote so you could turn them on and adjust the volume as well with two 3.5mm inputs

Last edited by Point37; 03-21-17 at 02:33 PM.

Lifer

Many home audio speakers come with bare wire connector clamps on the back. An open hole with a push button clamp or a thumb screw. Your receiver should accommodate the same. You'll probably need to buy a small spool of speaker wire. Volume control comes from whatever they're plugged in to. So that's the receiver's remote. If they've lost the remote, a universal remote can replace it. In rare cases, some receivers don't have a remote sensor.

What were you thinking the 3.5mm is for? Edit: Oh, 'for music'. Instead of what you linked, you want a 3.5mm to RCA. Like this. These don't really show it, but usually the RCA plugs are red and white. Double check that your receiver has RCA inputs, but most still have at least one set.

Last edited by aldend123; 03-21-17 at 02:32 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Many home audio speakers come with bare wire connector clamps on the back. An open hole with a push button clamp or a thumb screw. Your receiver should accommodate the same. You'll probably need to buy a small spool of speaker wire. Volume control comes from whatever they're plugged in to. So that's the receiver's remote. If they've lost the remote, a universal remote can replace it. In rare cases, some receivers don't have a remote sensor.

What were you thinking the 3.5mm is for? Edit: Oh, 'for music'. Instead of what you linked, you want a 3.5mm to RCA. Like this. These don't really show it, but usually the RCA plugs are red and white. Double check that your receiver has RCA inputs, but most still have at least one set.
    thanks...will do...i was looking at the bose companion 2 series 3 (has two 3.5mm inputs but no remote)...and the bose computer music monitor (has one 3.5mm input with remote)...with the adapter wire i posted i can connect either speaker set to the receiver (also have to check for rca out connectors are on the reciever, probably be a better connection)...but the first set has no remote to power up and down so i would have to manually turn on and control with the receiver remote but i could connect both the tv and the receiver to them...the second set has only 1 input so i wouldn't be able to get the tv on it but i would be able to turn it on and adjust the volume with the supplied remote...the remote would be used more for the tv...music would be easily controlled through the receiver

Last edited by Point37; 03-21-17 at 02:48 PM.

Lifer

Those two speaker options are amplified speakers. A small amp is integrated in them. If you connected them to a receiver, you wouldn't use the amplified outputs like you would a regular speaker. I'm not sure what happens if you amplify the input. To go from amp'ed speakers to receiver, you'd connect it to one of the line-outs, which some receivers may not have. Or it might only have one as a digital output (HDMI / Optical / SPDIF). You'd be using the receiver as a fancy input switch.

You could skip the amp and run those speakers right off the TV using 3.5MM to RCA. Depending on TV inputs, you might able to put the CD player in to the TV, which would be directing it's output to the amped computer speakers.

And that's how most people arrive at having a home theater set up. All inputs into a receiver, and the only output is to simple speakers. If you're going to have a receiver (amplifier with complex speaker switch integrated), you might as well go for 4.1 or 5.1 and get the full surround sound.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Those two speaker options are amplified speakers. A small amp is integrated in them. If you connected them to a receiver, you wouldn't use the amplified outputs like you would a regular speaker. I'm not sure what happens if you amplify the input. To go from amp'ed speakers to receiver, you'd connect it to one of the line-outs, which some receivers may not have. Or it might only have one as a digital output (HDMI / Optical / SPDIF). You'd be using the receiver as a fancy input switch.

You could skip the amp and run those speakers right off the TV using 3.5MM to RCA. Depending on TV inputs, you might able to put the CD player in to the TV, which would be directing it's output to the amped computer speakers.

And that's how most people arrive at having a home theater set up. All inputs into a receiver, and the only output is to simple speakers. If you're going to have a receiver (amplifier with complex speaker switch integrated), you might as well go for 4.1 or 5.1 and get the full surround sound.
    thanks...i'm a little lost with all this...i know all they are looking to do is get a couple small speakers to fit on those shelves (they don't want a sound bar or any standing speakers or a sub woofer) that they can connect to their receiver unit (the cd changer unit would be attached to the receiver unit) as well as tie in the tv and have a remote to operate the speakers...the tv can go straight to the speaker which i get cause i have a soundbar that's set up that way at my house...but the power and connection requirements of a receiver and cd changer connected to these small speakers i'm not too familiar with...so there is an amp in the receiver and an amp in each of the speakers so that may be too much power for the speakers to handle?...i need to take a look at the back of the tv and the back of the receiver to see what kind of connections i'm dealing with

Lifer

If they already have a receiver, then you want some small bookshelf speakers. You'll have to measure how big that space is though, since I think many are going to be just a bit too big to fit. Maybe something like this. Not sure of the sound quality, but I suspect this is more about getting something 'good enough' that fits the aesthetic?

Make sure your receiver has inputs that can match with the output of the TV. If the TV's output is only HDMI and it's an older receiver it might not have any HDMI inputs.

If you can sell them on it, a small subwoofer in the corner of the room would really improve movies with a bookshelf set up.

nedirtriders.com

Thanks again...this is a huge help...I'm going to look into everything and report back what I find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    looking for a set of 2 small speakers (close to computer size speakers) that i can tie into an older sony stereo receiver (which ties into an older sony multi-disc cd player)...needs to have wires out of them with stab connectors (bare wire ends)...unless there is some type of adapter that can accommodate the transition...if if could connect to a modern samsung tv that would be good also (not sure on the connection method yet, may have to go through the receiver)...this is for my parents...any advice would be appreciated...thanks

adapter
    Amazon.com: 3.5mm STEREO MINI PLUGS TO OPEN END 10': Home Audio & Theater

it will be going on the shelf even with the drawer...stereo equipment not shown but will be on the bottom middle shelf...
    Without getting into the equipment at all, what is the purpose for the new speaker setup?

Are your parents looking for better quality sound from the TV? Or can they not hear the set clearly?
    Is there some music on the TV that they want to listen to?
    Why 2 sets of speakers? Are you trying to get sound into another space? Or simulate a Surround Sound system for some reason?
    Basically, what are the goals?

Quote Originally Posted by audiojeff View Post
    Without getting into the equipment at all, what is the purpose for the new speaker setup?

Are your parents looking for better quality sound from the TV? Or can they not hear the set clearly?
    Is there some music on the TV that they want to listen to?
    Why 2 sets of speakers? Are you trying to get sound into another space? Or simulate a Surround Sound system for some reason?
    Basically, what are the goals?
    only 1 set of speakers that will handle both music from the receiver deck and cd changer deck as well as the tv...it's primarily for music, the tv would be secondary...nothing wrong with the sound from the tv but the speakers in the tv are aimed towards the wall behind the tv and they aren't exactly that large so front facing speakers would be an improvement

It sounds like what you are asking for is a small set of speakers. If you are using an existing stereo receiver, you will want to look at passive speakers (ones without an amp). The receiver already has an amplifier inside, and as a general rule, its one amplifier per system. Everything (sources) would plug into the receiver, using adapters as needed; and then the receiver would connect to the speakers.

The best value in low priced bookshelf speakers are the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. Amazon carries them, they're under $150 pr. They were designed by the very well respected Andrew Jones, before he left the company to start his own shop. They are quite good and quite cheap. The big question is, will they fit? The shelf on that cabinet looks to be pretty darn small, the speakers are 8.4 x 7.1 x 12.6 inches. I'd check before buying. Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Home Audio & Theater

That said, there is no way I'd suggest this route to my own parents. Instead, I would look at a 1 piece solution. With parents, and many other folks, easier is always better. Any way to cut down on the number of parts and things to turn on/select, the better off you both will be. In fact, I sent a Sonos player over to my folks a while back, and they haven't turned on the "big stereo" since. They love the damn thing. Sonos units start in this same price range, $150-$200, and you only need 1 to play music. They aren't any good at TV sound (except the Playbar which is specifically for TV), but they are simple. Instead of a CD player, I copied their favorite CDs and loaded them to Amazon Music's cloud. I saved a few internet radio stations as favorites, and setup a Pandora account with a few of their favorite artists as presets. Two minutes with their iPad and they were off and running. Its a suggestion anyway.

The Tv looks like a 6000 or 7000 series Samsung from a few years back, and the rear panel probably looks something like this.

Using the audio out on a Samsung TV usually means going into the setup screen, and setting the TV to turn off the internal speakers. This can be a bit of a PITA if your folks only use the receiver once in a while. The receiver will need to be on, and on the right input to get sound from the new speakers, or they will need to go into the menu to turn the TV speakers back on.

Last edited by audiojeff; 03-22-17 at 09:29 AM.

It sounds like what you are asking for is a small set of speakers. If you are using an existing stereo receiver, you will want to look at passive speakers (ones without an amp). The receiver already has an amplifier inside, and as a general rule, its one amplifier per system. Everything (sources) would plug into the receiver, using adapters as needed; and then the receiver would connect to the speakers.

The best value in low priced bookshelf speakers are the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. Amazon carries them, they're under $150 pr. They were designed by the very well respected Andrew Jones, before he left the company to start his own shop. They are quite good and quite cheap. The big question is, will they fit? The shelf on that cabinet looks to be pretty darn small, the speakers are 8.4 x 7.1 x 12.6 inches. I'd check before buying. Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Home Audio & Theater

That said, there is no way I'd suggest this route to my own parents. Instead, I would look at a 1 piece solution. With parents, and many other folks, easier is always better. Any way to cut down on the number of parts and things to turn on/select, the better off you both will be. In fact, I sent a Sonos player over to my folks a while back, and they haven't turned on the "big stereo" since. They love the damn thing. Sonos units start in this same price range, $150-$200, and you only need 1 to play music. They aren't any good at TV sound (except the Playbar which is specifically for TV), but they are simple. Instead of a CD player, I copied their favorite CDs and loaded them to Amazon Music's cloud. I saved a few internet radio stations as favorites, and setup a Pandora account with a few of their favorite artists as presets. Two minutes with their iPad and they were off and running. Its a suggestion anyway.

The Tv looks like a 6000 or 7000 series Samsung from a few years back, and the rear panel probably looks something like this.

Using the audio out on a Samsung TV usually means going into the setup screen, and setting the TV to turn off the internal speakers. This can be a bit of a PITA if your folks only use the receiver once in a while. The receiver will need to be on, and on the right input to get sound from the new speakers, or they will need to go into the menu to turn the TV speakers back on.
    thanks...is there anything stopping them from laying those speakers on their side?...maybe add a few rubber stick-on furniture bumpers so they don't rattle around?...i think you're right about the tv...so they would have to use the audio out port...is that a 3.5mm plug?...they can't use the digital audio out optical?...my dad is good with stereo technology but not so much computers so this shouldn't be too much of an issue...my mother on the other hand has no idea but she doesn't use that stuff often...just turns on a portable radio

Last edited by Point37; 03-22-17 at 09:38 AM.

In this case, the speakers will be fine on their sides. Yes, 3.5mm stereo, and they can use the optical out. If the receiver has a digital in, many do, you're good. Otherwise, there are a number of outboard converter boxes (D/A) that would work, but in this case there is no benefit. Some Samsung TVs (and others too) only have a digital out, and in that case a D/A would be required.

In this case, the speakers will be fine on their sides. Yes, 3.5mm stereo, and they can use the optical out. If the receiver has a digital in, many do, you're good. Otherwise, there are a number of outboard converter boxes (D/A) that would work, but in this case there is no benefit. Some Samsung TVs (and others too) only have a digital out, and in that case a D/A would be required.
    thanks again...the weird thing is i tried to plug in a set of 3.5mm headphones into that audio out jack just to see if it was a 3.5mm plug and they wouldn't go in...i was a little afraid to push though cause i wasn't sure if it was the right type of plug...i'll have to check again

The first time I heard these speakers at a friend's house, I was amazed at how good they sound for their price point. I have no problems recommending them for applications like this so long as they have a traditional amplifier in the loop.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    The first time I heard these speakers at a friend's house, I was amazed at how good they sound for their price point. I have no problems recommending them for applications like this so long as they have a traditional amplifier in the loop.
    good to know...thanks...should i have to worry about the receiver power and distortion at all?

Lifer

A basic Logitech Harmony like this one can make life easier for those who don't understand the 'which remote, which input' game. You program the top buttons to suit their usage using computer software. It takes a little bit to learn, but it's amazing once you do. Set it and forget it. Anyone who has 3+ remotes floating around should consider it.
    That's a good point. I'd have assumed there is a 'Both' option, but I suppose that might not always be the case. And I don't think there's an easy way to program that kind of input switching in to a programmable remote.

nedirtriders.com

good to know...thanks...should i have to worry about the receiver power and distortion at all?
    These speakers handle 80W which is more than enough to get very loud. Like any small speaker, they aren't designed or intended to deliver gut punching bass so if you overdrive them, you run the risk of blowing up the woofers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    These speakers handle 80W which is more than enough to get very loud. Like any small speaker, they aren't designed or intended to deliver gut punching bass so if you overdrive them, you run the risk of blowing up the woofers.
    thanks...yea they don't have huge rooms where this will be setup so these should be more than enough in that case...i'll run all this by my Dad and see what he wants to do

Not in this case, no. You shouldn't be anywhere near the limits of either the receiver or the speakers for the intended use.

Lifer

Generally speaking, speaker blow outs seem to be the result of dry rotted speaker suspension (thing around the cone). I don't think it's very common these days to be able to blow out a typical consumer grade speaker with a consumer level amp. They'll distort at the top end of volume, but doesn't seem to usually lead to failure.

nedirtriders.com

Besides mechanical excursion limits, don't forget about heat in the voice coils during louder than normal listening sessions. I agree it's unlikely to happen in this particular circumstance but when you pair a bookshelf sized speaker with a home stereo sized receiver, there's likely more power available from the receiver than the speaker can handle continuously. One rather loud listening session especially while trying to get more bass out of the speakers could lead to the voice coils overheating and failing while the amp is content to deliver even more power.

thanks fellas...i'll be heading over there this weekend so i'll try and get some photos of the gear and some measurements of the shelves...have to look at their computer anyway...they got a message that the operating system is missing...so i may be reinstalling windows...i think they updated to 10 when it was free not sure how i go about getting 10 back on there cause i think the only cd i have from dell was an older version of windows...should be fun

Lifer

thanks fellas...i'll be heading over there this weekend so i'll try and get some photos of the gear and some measurements of the shelves...have to look at their computer anyway...they got a message that the operating system is missing...so i may be reinstalling windows...i think they updated to 10 when it was free not sure how i go about getting 10 back on there cause i think the only cd i have from dell was an older version of windows...should be fun
    Been a little while since I dealt with that type of error, but I want to say that's a master boot record problem. Usually an easy fix.

And whatever the problem is, if they have data they want off of it, it may still be recoverable even though it can't be booted.

nedirtriders.com

Been a little while since I dealt with that type of error, but I want to say that's a master boot record problem. Usually an easy fix.

And whatever the problem is, if they have data they want off of it, it may still be recoverable even though it can't be booted.
    good to know...thanks...i looked up some stuff about it yesterday...i think i should be able to fix it...i just hope i don't have to load windows again cause i installed windows 10 on their machine when it was free to install (i think they had windows 7 or 8, whatever came with their computer when they bought it), so i don't have the windows 10 disc to load it i will have to go back to the previous version and probably try to use the repair feature if the other fixes don't work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast