Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stereo Speaker Help - for Music + TV

That audio out socket on the tv is def not a 3.5mm...I tried to plug in a pair of headphones to check and the hole was too small...got the measurements of the shelves as well...10"h x 13.5"w x 18.5"d...I think I'm going to look for one smaller speakers than those pioneers that I can stand upright in that space

For music the speakers will be connected to the receiver via the stab connectors labeled front speakers and probably have to adapt to rca plugs to connect to the speakers I assume...for the TV I will have to use the audio out port (whatever size that is) and adapt to rca plugs to connect to the audio in l & r on the video 1 or video 2 connections or I could use the tape/dat in l & r connections...also if I wanted to connect an iPod I would just need a 3.5mm to rca cable and just tie into one of the empty l & r plugs on the receiver?...does all this sound right?

Receiver

TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 03-25-17 at 11:10 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: Stereo Speaker Help - for Music + TV

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    That audio out socket on the tv is def not a 3.5mm...I tried to plug in a pair of headphones to check and the hole was too small...got the measurements of the shelves as well...10"h x 13.5"w x 18.5"d...I think I'm going to look for one smaller speakers than those pioneers that I can stand upright in that space

For music the speakers will be connected to the receiver via the stab connectors labeled front speakers and probably have to adapt to rca plugs to connect to the speakers I assume...for the TV I will have to use the audio out port (whatever size that is) and adapt to rca plugs to connect to the audio in l & r on the video 1 or video 2 connections or I could use the tape/dat in l & r connections...also if I wanted to connect an iPod I would just need a 3.5mm to rca cable and just tie into one of the empty l & r plugs on the receiver?...does all this sound right?
    The audio out jack, (and the IR out jack above it), are almost certainly 3.5mm jacks. Sometimes they can be rather tight.

The Audioengine P4 and Totem Dreamcatcher are both very good speakers that fit your size requirements. Both are also quite a bit more expensive than the Pioneers. One option might be to look at a pair of second hand loudspeakers. NHT has been building a set of very good, very small speakers for a number of years now, called the Super Zero and they are easy to find on the second hand market.

The speaker connections are unlikely to be RCA, but rather a different connection that also takes bare wire.

PS. It doesn't seem like you're the only one that has had trouble with that audio out jack. Samsung 5 series LCD TV. Weird audio out jack : techsupport

Last edited by audiojeff; 03-26-17 at 10:39 AM.

Lifer

There's a 2.5mm jack that's just a smaller version of the 3.5mm. I'd be really surprised if it was used in this context. Maybe a stuck contact spring?

I think his wording is a little confusing re: RCA. He has it correct - he meant he'd have to convert to RCA for audio source inputs to the receiver. It's stab (aka bare) connector from speaker to amp. I think he's got it all correct. You'll need that audio out jack on the TV to work, otherwise your other audio output are digital, and you don't have an equivalent input on the receiver.

nedirtriders.com

Thanks fellas...That audio out on the tv is too tight...I am going to try plugging in a set of earbuds...was using really old headphones...couldn't get the plug in past the first band on the plug where the plug gets wider...I have no idea why it's like that

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Been a little while since I dealt with that type of error, but I want to say that's a master boot record problem. Usually an easy fix.

And whatever the problem is, if they have data they want off of it, it may still be recoverable even though it can't be booted.
    well i messed around with their computer this past weekend...looked up a bunch of info on my phone on how to go about fixing the error...a lot of times the boot order is wrong so it's looking for windows on a plugged in thumbdrive or something (not the case here)...i tried to fix it through the command prompt commands that were outlined on a few webpages and that didn't work...after doing a little searching it seems that there is a rather large number of people having issues with this error in windows 10...i finally got sick of screwing around with it and since i had all their important files backed up on an external hard drive, i just decided to install windows 7 from cd...basically wiped it...reinstalled roxio cd creator and the printer and called it a day...i could have sworn their computer came with microsoft office but it wasn't on the windows disc and i couldn't find another disc with that on it which would have come with the dell computer so not sure about that...pain in the ass

as far as the speakers go i sent over the few choices you guys recommended as well as a couple i found...i know my mom was looking for smaller speakers so they didn't look huge but my dad wants what sounds good...we'll see who wins

Amazon.com: Yamaha NS-B310BL Full-Range Acoustic Suspension Bookshelf Speaker - Each (Black): Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: Audioengine P4 Black (Pr.) 2-Way Passive Bookshelf Speaker (AP4B): Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: Bose 201-V Stereo Loudspeakers (Pair) - Black: Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: Bose 161 Speaker System (Pair, Black): Home Audio & Theater

Last edited by Point37; 03-27-17 at 12:24 PM.

Buy them a pair of Dennis Murphy's "Affordable Accuracy Monitors". Less money than some of those but WAY better quality sound (and bass that wouldn't be believed.)

The New Affordable Accuracy Monitor

You can add a center speaker later, then another pair for surrounds. They would meet your mom's requirement of "not too big" while more than satisfying your dad's wish for really good quality sound.

2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Buy them a pair of Dennis Murphy's "Affordable Accuracy Monitors". Less money than some of those but WAY better quality sound (and bass that wouldn't be believed.)

The New Affordable Accuracy Monitor

You can add a center speaker later, then another pair for surrounds. They would meet your mom's requirement of "not too big" while more than satisfying your dad's wish for really good quality sound.
    Thanks...little too tall to fit on the shelf though

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    Thanks...little too tall to fit on the shelf though

Now that I look back and see where you want to put them I can see the issue and the problems it creates. Any speaker you put there would have to be overly small, front ported or sealed, and hanging over the rounded corners. If you push them back into the recess, there's going to be reflection of the sound in a bad way. Most speakers in the low budget range will likely have cabinet resonance that will transfer throughout the furniture piece.

Is there any possibility of putting out speaker stands? That would solve several problems. No influence of that furniture piece, far better stereo separation, more choices of speaker. If you have no choice, consider the KEF Q100 pair, and lay them on their sides. Keep the port (lower portion) to the outside so the weight is inboard. Put a thin foam pad under the speakers to reduce resonance. The fact that they're front ported helps, and just happen to sound pretty darn good.

Amazon.com: KEF Q100 Bookshelf Loudspeakers - Black Oak (Pair): Home Audio & Theater

2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Now that I look back and see where you want to put them I can see the issue and the problems it creates. Any speaker you put there would have to be overly small, front ported or sealed, and hanging over the rounded corners. If you push them back into the recess, there's going to be reflection of the sound in a bad way. Most speakers in the low budget range will likely have cabinet resonance that will transfer throughout the furniture piece.

Is there any possibility of putting out speaker stands? That would solve several problems. No influence of that furniture piece, far better stereo separation, more choices of speaker. If you have no choice, consider the KEF Q100 pair, and lay them on their sides. Keep the port (lower portion) to the outside so the weight is inboard. Put a thin foam pad under the speakers to reduce resonance. The fact that they're front ported helps, and just happen to sound pretty darn good.

Amazon.com: KEF Q100 Bookshelf Loudspeakers - Black Oak (Pair): Home Audio & Theater
    Thanks...I'll pass this along...they are going to have to go on the shelves...my Dad won't win that battle...he is going to listen to some of them this week...he doesn't buy speakers without listening to them

They ended up buying...
    Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Bookshelf Speaker (Single, Black) Amazon.com: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Bookshelf Speaker (Single, Black): Home Audio & Theater

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12