Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

new struts worth it?

Posting Freak

Re: new struts worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    A big part of that is the run-flat tires they spec for their cars. It's not neccarisly that it's supposed to be 'sporty', it's just a consequence of ultra-stiff sidewalls. But I have no doubt their marketing department points out it happens to enhances steering response and 'road feel'.

The tires on the car now aren't runflats, are they?
    No - neither were the OEMs (though they were low profile).

0 Not allowed!

Strut tower mounts.

That thick piece of rubber sandwiched by metal plates with studs. One side bolts to the car, the other side bolts to the strut assembly.

Helps to quell vibrations in the car. If those go, you'll have metal on metal transmitting every tiny hit through the suspension into the cab.

It's a guess.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Harsh ride is usually something that's over damped and/ or over sprung.

In the case of worn out components resulting in a harsh ride, check for collapsed spring(s), broken spring seat(s), collapsed strut mount

0 Not allowed!

I'm pretty sure the struts are shot on my 2014 kia forte (it's at 90k miles on the originals). Sadly, the aftermarket seems to be pretty lacking - all I can find for complete (strut and coil) replacements appear to be chinese. Anyone have any experience with those? I know sometimes chinese replacements (especially certain brands) can actually be OK.

Since this is my first time doing anything like this on a car, I kinda want to swap in a quick complete strut replacement and then maybe later rebuild the OEM ones.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by joshk1025 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the struts are shot on my 2014 kia forte (it's at 90k miles on the originals). Sadly, the aftermarket seems to be pretty lacking - all I can find for complete (strut and coil) replacements appear to be chinese. Anyone have any experience with those? I know sometimes chinese replacements (especially certain brands) can actually be OK.

Since this is my first time doing anything like this on a car, I kinda want to swap in a quick complete strut replacement and then maybe later rebuild the OEM ones.
    Why are you looking to replace the springs? I think that's part of why you're not seeing a product selection. Most replacements are going to be the shock bodies. Are you trying to get the car lower or stiffer?

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Why are you looking to replace the springs? I think that's part of why you're not seeing a product selection. Most replacements are going to be the shock bodies. Are you trying to get the car lower or stiffer?
    I'm not looking to replace the springs specifically, but I also don't want to disassemble them myself, because I'm not sure I have the time right now and I'm a little worried about the danger of messing with springs. Ideally, I would be able to find a quick-strut complete package so I don't have to separate the springs from the shock bodies and then later when I have more time I can disassemble them.

Also - even when I'm just looking for the shock, I can't seem to find options other than OEM. Monroe and KYB both have rear shocks but I can't find front shock options for the kia forte model year > 2013

Thanks for the reply!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by joshk1025; 02-04-19 at 02:24 PM. Reason: thanks!

For example, KYB lists part number 3330037 for the 2014 Hyundai Elantra SE - which I think should be the same part as the 2014 Kia Forte, but for some reason no one lists it for the forte.

0 Not allowed!

don't do just struts without replacing all the hardware too (nuts, bolts, bushings, tower bearings, etc)

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

I'm not looking to replace the springs specifically, but I also don't want to disassemble them myself, because I'm not sure I have the time right now and I'm a little worried about the danger of messing with springs. Ideally, I would be able to find a quick-strut complete package so I don't have to separate the springs from the shock bodies and then later when I have more time I can disassemble them.

Also - even when I'm just looking for the shock, I can't seem to find options other than OEM. Monroe and KYB both have rear shocks but I can't find front shock options for the kia forte model year > 2013

Thanks for the reply!
    It'd pretty rare to see anyone replace a factory spring unless it broke, or they wanted a different specification. I think technically they can start to fall outside the spec after many years of use, but it either doesn't happen in the lifetime of most cars, or people can't tell the difference. In other words, they don't wear out. And they aren't an inexpensive part.

Compressing a spring is a little sketchy the first time but I don't see that it's any different from being willing to jack up and climb under a car safety wise. Follow normal precautions/directions and it will usually go smoothly. The front's are probably a macpherson, which means you'll have to compress the spring. But the rear's might have separate components.

For the additional cost buying the spring probably entails, I'd wonder if you're saving anything by doing the work yourself versus having a shop do the job. Edit: And I agree with Randy that there are other parts that you probably want to replace now because they'll suck to have to change later. Specifically the spring seats.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 02-04-19 at 04:19 PM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Hypertarded

Thanks for the reply!
    It can be difficult to find aftermarket front struts for many vehicles, I'm guessing due to low volume of sales and more difficult MFRing of the strut body with spring perch built in VS rear shock with just the shock body as the spring is mounted seperately. Unless your talking performance vehicles where you get a much higher % of people looking to upgrade the Susp VS your AVG Toyota/Honda/Kia owner either ignoring Susp completely or simply going with OEM replacement.

For example, KYB lists part number 3330037 for the 2014 Hyundai Elantra SE - which I think should be the same part as the 2014 Kia Forte, but for some reason no one lists it for the forte.
    Rock auto has the rear KYB shocks listed for the Kia Forte, but no front struts, they also have some of the replacement mounting pieces as well. Not sure which model you have, hee is a link for the 1.8, but they have them for the 1.6t and 2.0 as well, click around on your own for your specific model for additional pieces.

2014 KIA FORTE 1.8L L4 Shock Absorber | RockAuto

maybe go with KYB rear and OEM fronts, depending on $$

0 Not allowed!

^^ quick struts are like 20 minutes a side to do everything. Simpler install, and you get new mounts, rubber inserts, bearings etc. One stop shopping. They were like $200 each for my Camry. For one hour worth of work you get a lot of new stuff for the money.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 02-04-19 at 04:25 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    don't do just struts without replacing all the hardware too (nuts, bolts, bushings, tower bearings, etc)
    Thanks for the advice - this is part of why I was thinking of going with a complete strut so that all the parts get switched out without having to track them down individually.

It'd pretty rare to see anyone replace a factory spring unless it broke, or they wanted a different specification. I think technically they can start to fall outside the spec after many years of use, but it either doesn't happen in the lifetime of most cars, or people can't tell the difference. In other words, they don't wear out. And they aren't an inexpensive part.

Compressing a spring is a little sketchy the first time but I don't see that it's any different from being willing to jack up and climb under a car safety wise. Follow normal precautions/directions and it will usually go smoothly. The front's are probably a macpherson, which means you'll have to compress the spring. But the rear's might have separate components.

For the additional cost buying the spring probably entails, I'd wonder if you're saving anything by doing the work yourself versus having a shop do the job. Edit: And I agree with Randy that there are other parts that you probably want to replace now because they'll suck to have to change later. Specifically the spring seats.
    It looks to me like the complete kits run for around $300-$400 for the front pair. On the last car, when I did the front struts at a shop it was $700. It is starting to look like it may not be worth the hassle but if I could easily save $300 for a couple hours of work it would be worth it for me.

Thanks for all the input.

0 Not allowed!

Check advance auto parts. They tend to have kyb strut plus assemblies. The website would at least give you part numbers to Google.

You didnt give enough info on the vehicle to figure out which ones would fit.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Check advance auto parts. They tend to have kyb strut plus assemblies. The website would at least give you part numbers to Google.

You didnt give enough info on the vehicle to figure out which ones would fit.
    I've got the 1.8L 2014 Kia Forte LX. When I went on advance auto and autozone I can't seem to find compatible assemblies. I'll double check advance auto parts.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by joshk1025; 02-05-19 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Not se, lx. thanks e30addict

^^ quick struts are like 20 minutes a side to do everything. Simpler install, and you get new mounts, rubber inserts, bearings etc. One stop shopping. They were like $200 each for my Camry. For one hour worth of work you get a lot of new stuff for the money.
    This is exactly why I want to do the quick struts. I'm not looking to get extreme performance - it is a KIA.

0 Not allowed!

Sorry it is an lx not an se. I was looking at the hyundai elantra comparable model.

0 Not allowed!

Nothing wrong IMO with just swapping in a complete unit. I've taken apart coil overs from cars that have lived in New England for ~100k miles, most of them aren't fond of going back together...or coming apart in the first place.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

+1 get the shock with new springs. i did this on the wife corolla. The taller stance was VERRY noticeable. the hardest part was jacking up the car.

1 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    +1 get the shock with new springs. i did this on the wife corolla. The taller stance was VERRY noticeable. the hardest part was jacking up the car.
    Now that I'm looking again, it appears even on ebay the chinese manufacturers only go up to 2013 for the Kia Forte. As far as I can find, nobody is building complete strut assemblies for the 2014+ model. I emailed monroe to see if they have something compatible, but I'm not too hopeful.

0 Not allowed!

Now that I'm looking again, it appears even on ebay the chinese manufacturers only go up to 2013 for the Kia Forte. As far as I can find, nobody is building complete strut assemblies for the 2014+ model. I emailed monroe to see if they have something compatible, but I'm not too hopeful.
    they will cost you a grand+ but BC Racing makes a complete coilover kit for your car. i realize this probably isn't a solution for you, but heads up a kit exists.

the Swift spring upgrade is well worth it ... and no, you don't have to set them lower than stock height.

1 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR + 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    they will cost you a grand+ but BC Racing makes a complete coilover kit for your car. i realize this probably isn't a solution for you, but heads up a kit exists.

the Swift spring upgrade is well worth it ... and no, you don't have to set them lower than stock height.
    Yeah, I can't see spending $1k on coilovers for a maybe $5k car. That's part of why I don't want to have a shop do the work, I'm just not sure the car is worth it.

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I can't see spending $1k on coilovers for a maybe $5k car. That's part of why I don't want to have a shop do the work, I'm just not sure the car is worth it.
    Junk yard....probably get a complete set there if you're just looking to patch something together for a while.

0 Not allowed!

Junk yard....probably get a complete set there if you're just looking to patch something together for a while.
    I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to call around. Thanks!

0 Not allowed!

I did the all-in-one solution this past year for both my vehicles. I was able to get KYB's for my 2004 Accord, and chinese built units for my 2006 Ridgeline. Both were a marked improvement from my worn OEM's even though the vehicles are both fairly low mileage, around 120k each.

The Accord was a simple job with basic tools in a house garage. Basically five nuts and a bolt or two, a little twist and replace, done. The Ridgeline however was rusted and gunked up so had a friend do it at his shop. He said it sucked balls.

The price for the AIO and doing the work myself on the Accord was much cheaper and probably saved me $1,500 from a dealer install. The Ridgeline ended up only saving $400-$500 due to not being able to install them myself, but it still saved money and I really think the new springs are worthwile on the heavy truck.

1 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12